The Tug Hill Tourathon, Can Entries Ever Reach The Level They Once Were?

Old January 26th 04, 09:27 PM
Douglas Diehl

Default The Tug Hill Tourathon, Can Entries Ever Reach The Level They Once Were?

In the 1980's The Tug Hill Tourathon attracted hundreds of skiers with
a cut off at 600 if I'm not mistaken. The entries would fill up
quickly. Over the years the numbers have dwindled to just over a one
hundred on a good year. Is there anyway to build up entries to earlier
levels?

I know first hand of the races shortcomings. For example lack of track
set, or any grooming. The organizers favorite excuse was snowmobilers
took out the track set the night before. How about re-setting the
track the day of the event then? The other problem was feed stations
that were promised, but never existed. Probably the biggest disaster
was when The Tourathon was part of The Great American Ski Chase for
several years. During one of these years the course was not marked
adequately and the lead pack went backcountry skiing. Several years
back N.Y. State helped with the purchase of a Tucker Snow Cat, which
doesn't really do much good when they a pull a snowmobile drag behind
it. The drag didn't have a track set attachment and left a super
smooth non-corduroy finish on the trail.

It's sad to see this event with a long history sliding into oblivion.
This year it will take place alongside the postponed Lake Placid
Loppet. Sounds like numbers will be really down. Several years back
some racers from Syracuse and Rochester really tried to pump some new
blood into the event by offering ideas to the acting Tug Hill Ski Club
President. Unfortunately The Tug Hill Tourathon has drifted back to an
over priced and unproffessional event slatted for doom. I've
participated in the event around ten times putting out the bucks to
help with the club, but each year they dissapointed. Perhaps it should
be changed back to a freestyle event. At least this way grooming will
be easy for the workers. Moreover, the course is more suited for
freestyle, because the terrain is very flat. Any other thoughts about
this event would be appreciated.
Old January 27th 04, 03:59 AM
Eddie Luban

On 26 Jan 2004 at 17:52, Douglas Diehl wrote:

I know first hand of the races shortcomings. For example lack of track
set, or any grooming. The organizers favorite excuse was snowmobilers
took out the track set the night before.

That wasn't an excuse; it was a fact.

How about re-setting the
track the day of the event then?

Larry Rudd, the main groomer, does go out and set track in the
middle of the night and in the morning before the race.
Unfortunately the race takes place on state forest land on which
snowmobilers don't always respect trail closures/limitations. In
recent years, the ski club, mushers, snowmobile club, and NYS
Dept. of Environmental Conversation have cooperated in getting
funds for grooming the trails. Other improvements include better
signage, maps, and off-season trail work to improve drainage.
Nevertheless, there are no fences or police to patrol trail access
points, and some snowmobiles do unfortunately trash the trails.

The other problem was feed stations
that were promised, but never existed.

To the extent that happened, it was a function of lack of volunteers.
In recent years, with a 2-loop course, the feeding stations have
been fine.

Several years
back N.Y. State helped with the purchase of a Tucker Snow Cat, which
doesn't really do much good when they a pull a snowmobile drag behind
it. The drag didn't have a track set attachment and left a super
smooth non-corduroy finish on the trail.

They do have a track-setter now. They set 2 sets of tracks for the
25K Try-It race on Jan. 17. That course was in excellent shape for
the most part.

Several years back
some racers from Syracuse and Rochester really tried to pump some new
blood into the event by offering ideas to the acting Tug Hill Ski Club
President. Unfortunately The Tug Hill Tourathon has drifted back to an
over priced and unproffessional event slatted for doom.

I'm a racer from Syracuse who participated in the meetings and
discussions a few years ago when it looked like the Tourathon and
Ski Club might fade away. I don't know what ideas you're implying
that the club rejected. I completely disagree with your
characterization of the race. It's an insult to Jay Chapman, Clara
Bingham, and many others who have given tons of their time and
money over the years to keep the club and the race going. No, the
Tourathon is no longer the same kind of race as the Keskinada or
the Loppet. The racers at the front are still fast, but most of the
field are recreational skiers who are out for a good time. Many of
these people, even the top finishers, come back year after year.
Everyone seems to have a good time, despite the problems with
trail conditions and the like.

Eddie Luban

Old January 27th 04, 01:25 PM
Douglas Diehl

Eddie I was hoping you could offer some ideas how to increase numbers
at the Tourathon, but I guess it is easier jumping all over my post.
Moreover, you have it backwards, it is an insult to participants who
pay fees equal with other regional marathons, travel great distances,
and not guarantee grooming or amenities. Personally I know a dozen or
so skiers who will never go back to the Tourathon, because of negative
experiences. I experienced the same shortcomings, but always paid the
$50 and went back. I was hoping they would get it right. One year I
stayed at the start for the night in my tent. There were no tracks on
the course this night, or the next morning. The next day at the start
Jay explained to everyone the tracks were taken out that morning by
snowmobiles… interesting. Of course I appreciate the efforts of
race organizers and volunteers at the Tourathon. I put on races as
well and it is no easy task. If Tug Hill were closer I would volunteer
myself. The efforts of Russ and Bob in making the Tourathon more
professional were also appreciated. Knowing the unique resource the
Tug Hill Plateau offers is why we all continue supporting the
Tourathon each year. Apparently you lost the intention of my post,
because increasing the entries of the Tourathon back to earlier levels
would benefit everyone. So what about changing the format back to a
freestyle, or both?
Old January 27th 04, 03:32 PM
John Roden

I am of the same opinion about making the race freestyle and suggested
this to Jay after another frustrating "no tracks" year. It would make
the grooming go so much easier, especially on some of the back trails
where the big groomer has trouble and the recreational skiers could
still ski it however they wished, I don't think it would make the
numbers drop.

For that matter, Placid would really be a better classic race. It's a
shame that LP re scheduled on a date that conflicts with the
tourathon, it's not like we have an oversupply of marathons in NY.

Ed was correct that the tracks for the 25K were excellent, this was
one of the best races I have done up there, it really turned out
nicely, the new groomer is set up to do two sets of tracks.