SKI EQUIPMENT HIRE - Advice greatly appreciated

Old November 18th 03, 11:05 AM
Djuro

Default SKI EQUIPMENT HIRE - Advice greatly appreciated

Dear all,

Can anyone advise as to what level of ski equipment I should hire?

I have only been skiing twice before and i would say I am a confident
intermediate even though I have only done two weeks of skiing in my
entire life, e.g. Most reds are no problem. Speed is no problem but I
do not need to be the fastest and I dont need to do tricks/stunts

The basic levels of equipment offered are Platignum, Gold and SIlver
and apart from price I dont know what the difference is in the quality
and standard of skis offered.

If we take price out of the equation what should I go for? I am
thinking of hiring from a SkiSet situated in the apartment block I am
staying in. They offer Salomons, Head and Rossingnol skis. They also
offer a 20% discount online which is really good value for money as it
means I can hire a higher standard of equipment for about the same
amount I payed last year.

I look forward to your replies

Djuro
Old November 18th 03, 11:31 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...

suspected spam snipped

Djuro

Am I right in assuming that this was a rather more sophisticated type of
spam than one usually sees? Is there any way of telling whether 'djuro' is
connected to Sk*S*t?
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 18th 03, 12:11 PM
MoonMan

In , Bill Seddon typed:
"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...

suspected spam snipped

Djuro

Am I right in assuming that this was a rather more sophisticated
type of spam than one usually sees? Is there any way of telling
whether 'djuro' is connected to Sk*S*t?
___
Michael MacClancy

I would guess so, second time posted in a week.

and twice today.

Chris *:-)

Old November 18th 03, 04:59 PM
Djuro

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...

suspected spam snipped

Djuro

Am I right in assuming that this was a rather more sophisticated type of
spam than one usually sees? Is there any way of telling whether 'djuro'

is
connected to Sk*S*t?
___
Michael MacClancy

I would guess so, second time posted in a week.

No, I would guess not. Djuro is my real name and as per the headline
your advice will be appreciated. My Mac effed up on me and I clicked
on post this message twice

ta v.much

Djuro
Old November 18th 03, 05:01 PM
Djuro

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...

suspected spam snipped

Djuro

Am I right in assuming that this was a rather more sophisticated type of
spam than one usually sees? Is there any way of telling whether 'djuro'

is
connected to Sk*S*t?
___
Michael MacClancy

I would guess so, second time posted in a week.

P.S. I am not in any way connected to S**S**
Old November 18th 03, 06:05 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I took a look at SkiSet's website and could only find Gold, Silver and
Bronze, no platinum. I'd go for the Silver, mainly because I think the boot
would be better. The attractiveness of Gold is the facility to try out
different equipment during the week.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 18th 03, 07:53 PM
David Off

Djuro wrote:
The basic levels of equipment offered are Platignum, Gold and SIlver
and apart from price I dont know what the difference is in the quality
and standard of skis offered.

I've worked a bit with Ski Set but not for a long time.
Generally this year's skis are Platingum (or however you spell it). You
may find that they are not suitable for your ability level. Why don't
you reserve Silver then upgrade when you get to resort if they are not good?

The main problem with hire gear are boots. Skis - well I can ski pretty
much anything I want on any ski, short, fat, long, skinny - I even skied
a blue at Val d'Isere on some cross-country skis last winter :-), it
doesn't make too much difference.

If you are going on a regular basis why not buy some boots?

Old November 19th 03, 08:10 AM
InMyTree

"Djuro" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,

Can anyone advise as to what level of ski equipment I should hire?

I was in your situation last year. I was skiing mostly intermediate runs
and some blacks, and I'd tell this to the guy I was hiring from and they
would always hand me ski's that were barely above entry level (Salomon Verse
for example). I didn't know any different so I just took them and they
always seemed ok.

Anyway, I went to Switzerland last January and thought "Screw this, I'm
getting some expensive ski's to see what they're like".. anyway, I got some
Salomon Crossmax's.. from the first turn on the slopes I couldn't believe
the difference.. I was taking on blacks without any problems.. I'm really
quite annoyed I kept getting crappy "forgiving" skis in previous holidays...
I'd say if I was you I'd try something "advanced" and see how you go..

Old November 19th 03, 01:05 PM
Djuro

David Off wrote in message ...
Djuro wrote:
The basic levels of equipment offered are Platignum, Gold and SIlver
and apart from price I dont know what the difference is in the quality
and standard of skis offered.

I've worked a bit with Ski Set but not for a long time.
Generally this year's skis are Platingum (or however you spell it). You
may find that they are not suitable for your ability level. Why don't
you reserve Silver then upgrade when you get to resort if they are not good?

The main problem with hire gear are boots. Skis - well I can ski pretty
much anything I want on any ski, short, fat, long, skinny - I even skied
a blue at Val d'Isere on some cross-country skis last winter :-), it
doesn't make too much difference.

If you are going on a regular basis why not buy some boots?

Thanks for the advice, If I go next year then I will certainly try and
buy some boots. The Salomons that I hired this year I found
uncomfortable but did not impact on my skiing too much. They just
looked like they had been thrown down the mountain.

I'll go for the gold skis (probably) and change if I dont like them.

For those of you who could not find the skst website, it's he

www.skishop.fr

It has all their equipment there
Old November 19th 03, 01:40 PM
David Brown :o\)

"Djuro" wrote in message
Djuro wrote:

I'll go for the gold skis (probably) and change if I dont like them.

For those of you who could not find the skst website, it's he

I assume from their website prices that you get to keep the skis and boots
after the six days?

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack