where to skate ski this saturday sierra nevada?

Old April 13th 06, 02:39 PM

Default where to skate ski this saturday sierra nevada?

i figure this may be my last weekend to skate ski. i live in
sacramento.
royal gorge has possible rain forecast. i have never skied in rain...
questions - royal gorge is closest to my home - is it a bad choice if
rain is predicted?
is there a better choice in that area?
should i be thinking about kirkwood instead? i am looking for
suggestions.
TIA.

Old April 13th 06, 03:42 PM

figure out the snow level and go to the highest place. kirkwood (8k)
is higher than the gorge (7.2k).

i didn't think that the snow level was going to be that high.

bt

Old April 13th 06, 05:16 PM

royal gorge closed for the season April 9, 2006. Try Tahoe Donner, Spooner
Lake, or Tahoe Nordic. There may be some rain, but that isn't the worst
thing (the wind may be what keeps me home this weekend ;-( ). I don't know
when Kirkwood is scheduled to close but if they're still open, bt is right,
at 8000' they are your best chance for snow instead of rain.

Bob

ups.com...

Old April 13th 06, 05:20 PM

1) Snow levels won't be that high. We'll be getting snow at the nordic
areas, not rain. It looks to be a relatively cold storm, esp. for this
time of year. It might rain down in Truckee, but Tahoe Donner will be
getting snow, from what I can tell. It's been doing a lot of that this
past couple of weeks, where town is rainy and it's snowing above 6500
ft.

2) Royal Gorge is closed. Your best bets would be either Tahoe Donner
or Kirkwood. Also, Spooner Lake is still open, as is Tahoe Cross
Country, if you want to explore a little and drive a little farther.
They'll all have pretty good skiing this weekend, weather-permitting.
Sunday is the closing day for TD, but they'll probably groom
irregularly for a few days after that, as they usually do. Skiing this
morning was awesome, although there wasn't a whole lot groomed, there
was more than enough to enjoy skiing for a couple of hours early.

3) Skiing in the rain, in general, can be either a miserable experience
or fairly enjoyable. Sometime the snow ends up being pretty fast in the
rain, and then other times it's sucky, slow mush. You just never know.
But if it's a windy, driving rainstorm, I'm staying inside with a
second cup of Peets in my hand. The benefits of living here are that I
can always wait it out and ski later or another day. Makes one soft,
though. Not tough, like BT.

4) I've been trying to list the ski areas still open on the
farwestnordic.org website. One of the benefits of membership.

Captain Nordic

Old April 14th 06, 02:00 AM

tahoe donner says this will be their last weekend. I am going (unless
it rains/snows heavily).

Old April 16th 06, 03:32 AM

90 degrees here in Arizona today. No tough guy points for that, but
I'll be up next weekend for one last go. Bring it on.....

bt

Old April 17th 06, 04:05 AM

Bryant,

Enjoy the weather. It snowed a little bit here today. Check out the pic
on the FW website.

Tahoe XC and Bear Valley will be open through next week, if folks want
to get their last nordic jollies in.

Mark

Old April 17th 06, 04:08 AM

Oops, also Kirkwood. Don't want to leave Debbi out.