Can I set my own bindings?

Old February 15th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Can I set my own bindings?

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

Pound is the unit of force in the English system. Weight is the
force that is due to gravity, but it's a force all the same so that's
why we express weight in units of force: i.e. pounds.

Newton is the unit of force in the metric system.

Yes, but, generally... Force = Weight
And I realize I got my units wrong.

Weight is just one particular kind of force (force due to gravity). It's
a common force, but not the only one. Weight is force. But force is not
necessarily weight.

Torque is rotational force, and is expressed as the force times the

Almost but not quite.
Pound-foot and Newton-meter are measures of WORK which is
the movement of a weight or force over a distance. Then
Torque is rotational WORK.

In this case, a torque wrench operates in a rotational
mode.

BTW, I actually meant to hit Cancel, but hit Send instead. mea culpa.

But, now that I'm in the middle of the argument, torque is force applied
at some distance,

Yes, but isn't that what WORK/ENERGY is?

hence it has units of force X length (i.e. foot-pounds
or newton-metres)

Work (energy) also has units of force x distance, but to say that torque
is equivalent to work is not quite correct. For instance, if I'm trying
to unscrew a nut, but can't get the &%^$*! thing to move I may be
exerting substantial torque but I'm not doing any work since nothing's
moving.

Here's where we get into the difference between potential energy
and kinetic energy. If the nut doesn't move, the force you are
applying is POTENTIAL because no WORK is getting done. If the
nut moves, then TORQUE is being applied and, as you say, TORQUE
is a form of WORK.

You are applying FORCE, but it's not yet TORQUE/WORK because
nothing has moved. TORQUE is not a form of FORCE.

Torque is not a form of work or energy, although the units are the same.

Yes it is.

//Walt

Old February 16th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

(snip)

And who said you can't learn a thing or two here on RSA!?!

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 16th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

... torque is force applied at some distance,

Yes, but isn't that what WORK/ENERGY is?

Work is force acting though a distance: W = F(dot)d. With torque, the
force is perpendicular to the distance vector , so when you compute the
dot product you get zero.

Torque, like distance and force, is a vector quantity while energy
(work) is a scalar. To compute torque, you take the vector cross
product of force and position vector: T = F x d. This gives a vector,
unlike the dot product above which gives a scalar.

To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

//Walt
Old February 16th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

This is no joke: Please, Please PLEASE have the binding/boot combo
certified by a real
technician. Make sure they put it on the boot torque machine--or whatever
they call it to ensure that the boot and binding system are working together
properly and the binding releases as it should. Please don't risk your
daughter's knees any further.

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in message
I just bought a pair of Fischer skis and bindings over the internet for my
wife. (actually everyone local was out of stock for the year!)
The system is such that mounting the bindings and setting them for the
boot size is pretty foolproof. She is a very conservative skier, so
setting the adjustments at the very bottom of the scale (4) like her old
skis should be fine.
I am able to pop the boots out with what seems like a reasonable amount of
force

Is there any compelling reason to have an "expert" check this over; are
brand new binding likely to be really far off? If it were for me I
wouldn't worry about it, but I would hate to see someone else get hurt
because I would spring for a prudent expense.

Thanks.

Old February 16th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Walt wrote:

To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

I pushed my Brie into next Thursday.

-klaus

Old February 16th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Wayne Decker wrote:
This is no joke: Please, Please PLEASE have the binding/boot combo
certified by a real
technician. Make sure they put it on the boot torque machine--or whatever
they call it to ensure that the boot and binding system are working together
properly and the binding releases as it should. Please don't risk your
daughter's knees any further.

So here is a what to do question. Last year I spent a fair amount of
time trying to get my binding tested. I wanted to check my downhill -SG
ski's with a pair of 10-18 binding on them. I went to one place that
would only test them at my DIN setting of 7. I said the DIN range is 10
to 18 how are you going to test them at 7?
I would be happy to pay what ever would be charged. Do you know of any
shops that will test race binding?
With further investigation it appears that the only way this testing
works is to follow the charts, you can not set the machine to test for a
din of 13 and they will not even test my 6-14 bindings at 9 which is
what I run my GS ski's at. So as much as it is best to have binding
checked it is not always possible. Sometimes it is pointless binding do
not work as well at one extreme setting or the other and should be
picked so your DIN adjustment is in the middle of the range. I have had
3 sessions with techs on binding so I am getting familiar with the
atomic race line of binding and comfortable with setting up my own. I
can always check with a tech if I have a question. But it is not really
the thing to do to save money by setting your own binding, if your going
to do it yourself you need to invest the time to learn to do it
properly. Otherwise it is much cheaper to have somebody else do it.
I had my first pair of atomic binding setup at Ski Stop on LI the
bindings worked but were not setup correctly. Ric Hodge noticed they
were done incorrectly, he removed & reset them while waiting to take my
GS race run. I was a little freaked to see my binding in pieces on top
of the race hill. The Ric Hodge story is to illustrate the difference
between a knowledgeable person and someone reading from a manual as they
setup your binding. Most techs that really understand what they are
doing will fill you with information if you ask, but you need to ask the
right questions. I bring cannoli's from Little Italy as bribe food. But
the experience of the tech is what he has learned from those abnormal
problems that crop up. A insert that has been cross threaded, or a screw
from the factory that is too long and should be used with a riser plate
that when installed with out a riser plate only sticks out a little of
the base.

michael
Old February 16th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

I pushed my Brie into next Thursday.

Silly cheese-pusher. Real men roll their cheese.

http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/

//Walt
Old February 16th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

"Walt" wrote in message
klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

I pushed my Brie into next Thursday.

Silly cheese-pusher. Real men roll their cheese.

Oh, klaus loves to push cheese. Especially into his buddy Andrew McLean.

Hey, this is fun.

Next thing you know, I'll really emulate Klaus Biggers and start calling him
mentally ill, deranged, etc. More fun just to call him a liddle faggot.
Fair is fair, right?

Old February 16th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

Yes it does!

I pushed my Brie into next Thursday.

Silly cheese-pusher. Real men roll their cheese.

http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/

I've heard that a number of participants have been killed in the endeavor.
Indeed, it is a manly sport.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need
Old February 16th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Feb 15, 7:57 pm, Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
... torque is force applied at some distance,

Yes, but isn't that what WORK/ENERGY is?

Work is force acting though a distance: W = F(dot)d. With torque, the
force is perpendicular to the distance vector , so when you compute the
dot product you get zero.

Torque, like distance and force, is a vector quantity while energy
(work) is a scalar. To compute torque, you take the vector cross
product of force and position vector: T = F x d. This gives a vector,
unlike the dot product above which gives a scalar.

To say a vector (torque) is equal to a scalar (energy) is like saying
Wednesday is equal to cheese. It makes no sense.

//Walt

Yeah, everybody know Wednesday is Prince spaghetti (day).

Chris