New Year in Val Disere

Old October 30th 05, 05:36 PM
qway

Default New Year in Val Disere

I'm spending a week in valdisere over new year and wondered if anyone
knows a good place to spend the night? I ended up in Geneva last year
and that was extremly dull, so i'm looking for a bit of excitement this
year, Dicks Tea Bar is the easy choice, not sure if its the best
though... Any ideas?

Old October 31st 05, 04:40 PM
h23

On 30 Oct 2005 10:36:15 -0800, "qway" wrote:

I'm spending a week in valdisere over new year and wondered if anyone
knows a good place to spend the night? I ended up in Geneva last year
and that was extremly dull, so i'm looking for a bit of excitement this
year, Dicks Tea Bar is the easy choice, not sure if its the best
though... Any ideas?

I don't know about val d'isere but my experience is that new year in
France is an anti-climax (so I tend to avoid it). Zurich is more like
it
Old October 31st 05, 04:43 PM
Ace

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:40:45 +0100, h23 wrote:

On 30 Oct 2005 10:36:15 -0800, "qway" wrote:

I'm spending a week in valdisere over new year and wondered if anyone
knows a good place to spend the night? I ended up in Geneva last year
and that was extremly dull, so i'm looking for a bit of excitement this
year, Dicks Tea Bar is the easy choice, not sure if its the best
though... Any ideas?

I don't know about val d'isere but my experience is that new year in
France is an anti-climax (so I tend to avoid it).

Really? Your loss, I reckon. But I suppose it depends what you want -
partying in the streets isn't really the way the French do things, so
I guess if that's your bag... Me, I'd prefer to be booked into a
decent restaurant with plenty of good food, wine and company all
evening, which one can usually find easily enough most places in
France.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 31st 05, 05:03 PM
h23

Really? Your loss, I reckon. But I suppose it depends what you want -
partying in the streets isn't really the way the French do things, so
I guess if that's your bag... Me, I'd prefer to be booked into a
decent restaurant with plenty of good food, wine and company all
evening, which one can usually find easily enough most places in
France.

Totally agree, that is indeed what they do- and that can be very nice
too. I'm not waiting with that for New years Eve though.

I'm not in to raiding the streets, but at least some action at 0.00
with nice fireworks is what I expected- and that was more or less the
anticlimax...
Old October 31st 05, 05:25 PM
Matt T

I've only one experience of NYE in France, and that was last year in
Tignes. I have to say I was mightily impressed - All the bars were
'going off' and they set a DJ up on the balcony of the newish Tourist
Information place for the night. Loads of fireworks at midnight,
hundreds of people dancing on the snow beneath the balcony. Didn't stop
till gone 3 (when we crawled back to our chalet) - I wouldn't have
wanted to be in Le Lac and hoping to settle in for a quiet night that's
for sure.

Rates as one of my top New Years ever - not as good as Sydney
1999/2000, but better than anything I've had in London.

Old November 1st 05, 07:41 AM
Ace

On 31 Oct 2005 10:25:38 -0800, "Matt T"
wrote:

I've only one experience of NYE in France, and that was last year in
Tignes. I have to say I was mightily impressed - All the bars were
'going off' and they set a DJ up on the balcony of the newish Tourist
Information place for the night. Loads of fireworks at midnight,
hundreds of people dancing on the snow beneath the balcony. Didn't stop
till gone 3 (when we crawled back to our chalet) - I wouldn't have
wanted to be in Le Lac and hoping to settle in for a quiet night that's
for sure.

Rates as one of my top New Years ever - not as good as Sydney
1999/2000, but better than anything I've had in London.

Sounds like fun, notwithstanding my previous comments.

FX: Books into Tignes for New Year
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 1st 05, 08:20 AM
Brian McIlwrath

qway wrote:
: I'm spending a week in valdisere over new year and wondered if anyone
: knows a good place to spend the night? I ended up in Geneva last year
: and that was extremly dull, so i'm looking for a bit of excitement this
: year, Dicks Tea Bar is the easy choice, not sure if its the best
: though... Any ideas?

Last New Year a group of friends and I went to the "Morris Pub" which was
packed and had a very lively New Year's Eve Party. Most people piled out
on to the main street at midnight.

Most of the obvious "Brit hangouts" had parties - but were not cheap -
20-30e typically.