whee!

Old December 19th 03, 05:13 PM
MattB

Marty wrote:
"Chester Bullock" wrote in message
Marty wrote:

I don't get out west much, but when I do, I never pass up the
opportunity to ski one of them there trendy lift line bump runs.
They are a blast! Moguls out west are so nice and soft.

Are there any of these left? I remember when a lift line bump run
meant skiing a tight line underneath a double chair. About as wide
as some of the double diamonds on the north side of Peak 9 at Breck.
Those were the days...

The mom & pop resorts still have them. My oft-referred (by me) to Monarch
video has yours truly ripping just such a line under just such a lift.

Matt

Old December 19th 03, 05:32 PM
MattB

SkaredShtles wrote:
"MattB" wrote in
:

snip

I'd ski that.

Is that you hucking that big mushroomy pow pow gartuitous tip cross
thing? Looks fun.

Ummm... no way. Although it does look fun, doesn't it? We poached
Xmas Tree Bowl by traversing into it from the Chutes entrance gate
and got 4... yes FOUR completely fresh tracks in waist deep pow.

Danger Will Robinson! I've never skied Steamboat (it's far from here) so I
don't know that bowl, but it may have been closed because it's an avalanche
hazard. And if it's not they can throw your ass in jail for poaching.

I think I'm just going to call it a season after my first day out.
Nah. Gotta go to Silverton in February.

Hey - you want to go on the San Juan Snowcats in February?

Perhaps. I've gone and spawned, so things are more complicated for me to
take trips than they used to be. I'll probably be doing some Monarch Snowcat
trips this year - a guy I know is a (really good) photographer and wants to
rent a cat for some photo shoots. I volunteered to help ;-).

Are you going to book way in advance?

Matt

Old December 19th 03, 06:52 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 at 06:15 GMT, SkaredShtles penned:

Steamboat.

Doh; that's quite a trek for me =/

For a day trip it is quite a trek. Just make it a weekend. Or better yet,
a couple days during the week. You'll like it.......

Of course, for waist deep & face shots, I'll do the one-day turnaround
again.

I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks for the tip =)

You don't just 'check out' Steamboat, you experience it. And it is
awesome. Thinking a long weekend in mid-January is due...

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 20th 03, 05:38 AM
SkaredShtles

Chester Bullock wrote in
:

Marty wrote:

snip

I don't get out west much, but when I do, I never pass up the
opportunity to ski one of them there trendy lift line bump runs.
They are a blast! Moguls out west are so nice and soft.

Are there any of these left? I remember when a lift line bump run
meant skiing a tight line underneath a double chair. About as wide as
some of the double diamonds on the north side of Peak 9 at Breck.
Those were the days...

Ooooh yeah. The Summit Express Liftline at Mary Jane. Hero run, that.

-T.O.M.-

Old December 20th 03, 05:39 AM
SkaredShtles

"Marty" wrote in
:

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message

snip

Are there any of these left? I remember when a lift line bump run
meant skiing a tight line underneath a double chair. About as wide
as some of the double diamonds on the north side of Peak 9 at Breck.
Those were the days...

I thought that I skied one or two while at Copper last April... Well,
there were by my standards anyway. I do, however, have pretty low
standards, being a life long mid-western skier.

The A-Lift at Copper runs right up a pretty nice bump run. And there's the
S-Lift too that has a nice diamond bumper running under it.

-T.O.M.-

Old December 20th 03, 05:41 AM
SkaredShtles

Chester Bullock wrote in
:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

snip

I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks for the tip =)

You don't just 'check out' Steamboat, you experience it. And it is
awesome. Thinking a long weekend in mid-January is due...

Bingo........ my wife is already starting to get the itch for a weekend
trip.

-T.O.M.-

Old December 20th 03, 05:45 AM
SkaredShtles

"MattB" wrote in
:

SkaredShtles wrote:
snip

Ummm... no way. Although it does look fun, doesn't it? We poached
Xmas Tree Bowl by traversing into it from the Chutes entrance gate
and got 4... yes FOUR completely fresh tracks in waist deep pow.

Danger Will Robinson! I've never skied Steamboat (it's far from here)
so I don't know that bowl, but it may have been closed because it's an
avalanche hazard. And if it's not they can throw your ass in jail for
poaching.

Well, it wasn't REALLY poaching, as they had NO ropes up to prevent said
fresh tracks. If any patrol had asked I would've played dumb-ish and
said, "Ahhh... I figured Chute 3 was over here somewhere?!?"

I think I'm just going to call it a season after my first day out.
Nah. Gotta go to Silverton in February.

Hey - you want to go on the San Juan Snowcats in February?

Perhaps. I've gone and spawned, so things are more complicated for me
to take trips than they used to be. I'll probably be doing some
Monarch Snowcat trips this year - a guy I know is a (really good)
photographer and wants to rent a cat for some photo shoots. I
volunteered to help ;-).

Ahhh... ya bahstid!

Are you going to book way in advance?

Already booked. Got the whole cat. Just trying to fill it now.
February 21st if you're interested.........

-T.O.M.-

Old December 20th 03, 03:50 PM
gowestyngman

Almost sounded fun. but u missed the best part of Breck. Ther is alway good
bud 2B found in Breck. as it was the 2nd city in the US to decriminalize
medical marijuna in 1994.Try Mountain Java - thers a nice hippy-tree hugger
crowd that hangs ther 24/7 it seems.. Making it perhaps the most smoker
friendly ski town in the west. Although Telle is a close 2nd. And of course
any wher around Tahoe.

Topher sez-- "You can't ski hot, if you dont smoke POT"

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
Today was my first-ever trek to Breckenridge. I'm a mess on moguls, but
it was a great day to practice, with big fluffy powder-bumps all over.
For the first time ever, I successfully linked turns on moguls.
Sometimes even three, four, or five turns before I had to stop and
reconnoiter. It may not sound like much, but for me, it's huge.

Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this skiing thing, after all ...

"So my new skis are now my rock skis ... but hey, I'm having a blast!"
--
monique

Old December 22nd 03, 06:15 AM
SkaredShtles

"gowestyngman" wrote in
:

Almost sounded fun. but u missed the best part of Breck. Ther is alway
good bud 2B found in Breck. as it was the 2nd city in the US to
decriminalize medical marijuna in 1994.Try Mountain Java - thers a
nice hippy-tree hugger crowd that hangs ther 24/7 it seems.. Making
it perhaps the most smoker friendly ski town in the west. Although
Telle is a close 2nd. And of course any wher around Tahoe.

Topher sez-- "You can't ski hot, if you dont smoke POT"

Duuuuuuude. You might better go a little easy on the spleaf...... you're
making precious little sense.

-T.O.M.-

Old December 23rd 03, 01:54 AM
snoig

"gowestyngman" wrote in message ...
Almost sounded fun. but u missed the best part of Breck. Ther is alway good
bud 2B found in Breck. as it was the 2nd city in the US to decriminalize
medical marijuna in 1994.Try Mountain Java - thers a nice hippy-tree hugger
crowd that hangs ther 24/7 it seems.. Making it perhaps the most smoker
friendly ski town in the west. Although Telle is a close 2nd. And of course
any wher around Tahoe.

Topher sez-- "You can't ski hot, if you dont smoke POT"

Actually you have your facts wrong. Breckenridge did not
decriminalize medical marijuana. They passed a law directing the
mayor to tell the chief of police to make the arrest of medical
marijuana users the lowest priority. There are real questions as to
weather this ordance is legal or not because the municipal government
doesn't work the way it is assumed in the ordance. As far as I know,
there really hasn't been much of a change because the police in Breck
never made medical marijuana users a priority.

Here's the text of the ordinance:
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...l/breck-in.htm

But here's a more interesting case that I would expect to see in the
Supreme Court:
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v03/n1906/a12.html?204

snoig

OB Ski - Light snow this morning in Breck with about 2" on the ground.
Don't think we will see anywhere near what RSN was predicting last
night. They finally opened Peak 10 and 6 Chair so some real terrian
is finally open.