Lodging Recommendations for Breck

Old November 3rd 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
tg

Default Lodging Recommendations for Breck

Will be taking my family to Breck the week before Xmas 12/16-12/20. Want to
stay slopeside as my wife generally doesn't ski all day and likes to duck
back in to a fire and a book. Any recommendations on lodging with basic
kitchenette minimum for decent price. Any areas you prefer for easy walk to
town for dinner/shopping (for the wife of course)?
Thanks

Old November 3rd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard

tg wrote:
Will be taking my family to Breck the week before Xmas 12/16-12/20. Want to
stay slopeside as my wife generally doesn't ski all day and likes to duck
back in to a fire and a book. Any recommendations on lodging with basic
kitchenette minimum for decent price. Any areas you prefer for easy walk to
town for dinner/shopping (for the wife of course)?
Thanks

I'm not sure it's possible to be slopeside and have an easy walk to
town. I guess you could walk to town from the condos on the slopes, but
I wouldn't want to do it, especially in the winter.

We were in Breckenridge in the summer a couple of years ago and stayed
in the Mountain Thunder Lodge, which was a very pleasant place. Private
underground parking, kitchen, balcony, nice furnishings. Condo
amenities but with hotel service. The lodge was private enough to
provide a semi-secluded feeling, yet was a very easy drive from town
and the ski area (we took the lift and hiked around at the top).
Caveats: I'm not sure about its peak season pricing -- might be
expensive. Also, obviously not ski in, ski out.

Joe Ramirez

Old November 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
snoig

wrote:
tg wrote:
[...]

Actually, once the new gondola opens, Mountain Thunder will be ski in,
walk across the road and take the gondola. Still, I wouldn't recommend
it as slopeside.

Old November 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
snoig

tg wrote:
Will be taking my family to Breck the week before Xmas 12/16-12/20. Want to
stay slopeside as my wife generally doesn't ski all day and likes to duck
back in to a fire and a book. Any recommendations on lodging with basic
kitchenette minimum for decent price. Any areas you prefer for easy walk to
town for dinner/shopping (for the wife of course)?
Thanks

Slopeside would be anything at Beaver Run. There are lots of condos on
4 O'clock run that are ski in/ski out but they need to be above the
Snowflake lift to be ski out although you can ski to the bottom of 4
o'clock and take the bus back to the lift. The condos near the bottom
have easy access to town.

Some of the hotels at the base of Peak 9 have the best access to the
slopes and town.
http://www.resortquest.com/
http://hyattmainstreet.com/
are some of your best choices there.

The Great Divide is on Peak 9 http://breckresorts.com/greatdividelodge/
and not far from town but uphill.

Most of the resorts offer free shuttle service to anywhere in town so
convient access to town really isn't a big deal, just have someone call
the shuttle for you from any store or resturaunt in town and they will
pick you up. Also, the bus service around town is great so you really
don't need to worry about an easy walk. Besides, what may be an easy
walk at home becomes much more difficult at this altitude.

There are two bus systems in the county, the Summit Stage which is
county wide:
http://www.summitstage.com/schedules.cfm

and the town system. All are free.
http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/in...8&s=134&p=6711
http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/in...downloads&w=24

Old November 6th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
tg

"Snipped"

[...]

Snoig,
Thanks for all of the info. I elected to stay near Peak 9 in one of the
condos near the Quicksilver lift. Good terrain for us flatlanders to start
off with at 10,000 feet! Looks like Peak 9 and 10 will keep the family busy
for a while. I am personally salivating over hitting the new Peak 8 lift. I
hope the snow gods are kind while we are there. On a powder day - how quick
is everything skied/riden out?
Thanks again.

Old November 6th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
snoig

tg wrote:
Thanks for all of the info. I elected to stay near Peak 9 in one of the
condos near the Quicksilver lift. Good terrain for us flatlanders to start
off with at 10,000 feet! Looks like Peak 9 and 10 will keep the family busy
for a while. I am personally salivating over hitting the new Peak 8 lift. I
hope the snow gods are kind while we are there. On a powder day - how quick
is everything skied/riden out?
Thanks again.

Well, you will probably need to salivate a bit longer. The Imperial
lift probably wont be open at that time of year but you could get
lucky. We have had some good early coverage and they predict another
storm to blow through this weekend but right now they are predicting
less than a foot. Generally they try to get everything open by xmas
but it doesn't always happen and the track record for the Imperial has
yet to be established.

As far as powder days go, if we get some while you are here it probably
wont be to bad. That's the week before high season starts. It really
depends how much powder we get. If it gets into double digits then
people from Denver take off work and come up. If it's so bad that they
can't get up here then all the locals take the morning off. Either
way, things get skied out pretty quickly, usually by 10 or 11 so get
out for first chair. Still, there are areas you can find that take
longer to get tracked. They are usually the steeper, hike to terrain.
All the stuff along the northern boundry off Peak 7, the Lake Chutes
and the 7 Dwarves will all take awhile and a bit of work to get to but
they are all well worth it. There will also be a few hidden places
that you can find by looking at a map and taking into account things
like the direction the storm came from, current wind direction, tree
cover etc. Still, the week before xmas will be hit or miss. If the
base isn't there you may need to stick to the main runs.

snoig