Whitewater helmet for Snowboarding ?

Old August 7th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Poser

Default Whitewater helmet for Snowboarding ?

Hi all,

last week I bought a Shredready composite helmet designed for
wakeboarding, kitesurfing, kayaking.
According to my local dealer I can use it for Snowboarding, too.

- Does anybody know if this is right ? Are there big technical
difference between helmets for whitewater sports and helmets for
snowboarding / skiing ?

THX fory your help in advance !!!

Poser

Old August 7th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

Poser wrote in . com:
last week I bought a Shredready composite helmet designed for
wakeboarding, kitesurfing, kayaking.
According to my local dealer I can use it for Snowboarding, too.

- Does anybody know if this is right ? Are there big technical
difference between helmets for whitewater sports and helmets for
snowboarding / skiing ?

First: I have no experience with whitewater sports or the associated safety
gear. I'm a snowboarder who likes his head protected

My thoughts: both helmets will strive to keep your head protected from
impacts with rocks. On that point, they will probably be comparable.

A whitewhater sports helmet will try to get water away from your head as
soon as possible. I'd suspect such a helmet to have a somewhat 'open'
design for ventilation and draining.

A snowboard helmet will try to keep your head somewhat warm (depending
on the weather). Mine has ventilation holes with thingies to plug them
(which I usually use in cold winds).

My guess: your helmet can work on a snowboard, but can get cold.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 -?)
Old August 7th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Poser

Koos,
thx, usually I am boarding during the whole winter. But if I decide to
wear a helmet, than safety is the most obvious reason (usally I wear
cheap caps).
Poser

Old October 25th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"Poser" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

last week I bought a Shredready composite helmet designed for
wakeboarding, kitesurfing, kayaking.
According to my local dealer I can use it for Snowboarding, too.

- Does anybody know if this is right ? Are there big technical
difference between helmets for whitewater sports and helmets for
snowboarding / skiing ?

Whitewater helmets are not designed to keep snow out, and are designed
for low speed hits. Neither applies.

Bob

Old October 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

Bob F wrote:

"Poser" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

last week I bought a Shredready composite helmet designed for
wakeboarding, kitesurfing, kayaking.
According to my local dealer I can use it for Snowboarding, too.

- Does anybody know if this is right ? Are there big technical
difference between helmets for whitewater sports and helmets for
snowboarding / skiing ?

Whitewater helmets are not designed to keep snow out, and are designed
for low speed hits. Neither applies.

I don't know about the Shred Ready helmets, but Sweet sells nearly identical
helmets for snow and whitewater use. Some of the Protecs look pretty similar
too.

Using a kayak helmet for off piste skiing [email protected] Alpine Skiing 98 February 17th 06 03:58 AM
Use your helmet and save your melon nordvind Nordic Skiing 25 July 7th 05 12:21 AM
Helmet? John M Alpine Skiing 3 February 18th 05 04:27 PM
Helmet Camera KentB Alpine Skiing 4 December 31st 04 04:49 PM
Royalty Link-back? Princess of Romania 2005 Alpine Skiing 167 December 26th 03 11:44 PM