Help in choosing gear for a new boarder

Old November 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Default Help in choosing gear for a new boarder

wrote:
I was actually offered an unused 2006 board for almost nothing and so
decided to grab that and concentrate on the boots. The price of the
board was just a couple of rentals ($50), so decided if it really
doesn't work out, I can ditch it. I got an Airwalk 162 with a 260
waist, so pretty wide. I couldn't find much on the Airwalk boards, but
found one place saying they were good for beginners.

$50 is a great price for a unused board and it sounds like a very good
fit for your weight/size. That should be perfect to start out.

Bindings:

I am pretty sure I will go for Burton Mission, size L, as these seem
readily available here. The guy in the shop said it was best to stick
with same brand for Boots/Bindings as they are often developed side by
side. (Comments?)

That is correct (that boots and bindings are developed side by side and
so going with the same brand usually ensure you have a good fit). You
don't have to do that though. The Burton Missions are a solid binding
(I rode them back in 2001) and will work great for you.

I went in and tried on Driver X right from the start. 29 was tight
across the toe joints and so he moved me up to a 29.5 (11.5US) and
these seemed to fit really well. The boots were very stiff and snug. He
said that the Salomon boots (not a lot of other choice in my size even
in Tokyo stores) would be too narrow and I prefer the Burton designs
anyway.

If the Burtons are snug, then the Salomon will be too tight.

He basically said that in terms of fit, any 29.5 Burton would be fine
and now I need to just decide on the model. I actually like the Driver
X or SL-9 and they are not very different in price. If I go for a
budget, there is the Moto at about half the price. Would the Moto's be
too soft?

If the Driver X didn't feel like you had plaster casts on your feet, I
would definitely go with them or maybe the SL-9 over the moto.

I read that the SL-9 are great for larger sizes as the outer shell is
very compact, i.e. reducing overhang, etc. or allowing thinner boards.
For a few extra bucks, if the SL-9s are the best, I am tempted, but
Driver X look the best for me.

Again, bring your board, try on the boots and stand over the inserts
(the binding mounting holes) on your board. If you boots hangs over a
lot (more than an inch) I would go with the SL-9s, otherwise I would
stick with the Driver X

Old November 9th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Moto boots & Mission or, Freestyle binding to start. Driver-X/SL-9
..... way to stiff for novice - save the money for your next set-up.
After determining the type of riding you'll do the most of.
(freestyle/ride, groomers, powder, etc...)