torn toenail

Old January 4th 05, 02:20 AM
ant

"Fritz M" wrote in message
oups.com...
lal_truckee wrote:

Seriously, I've skied without a toe nail without problems or pain -
see Ant's advice; it's sound

Thanks for relaying the experience. Non-stick dressing and bandage to
cover the wound was the first thing I did. I also rode my bike 20 miles
this morning (26 F, light snow, heavy fog) -- there was some discomfort
in my cycling shoes at first, but no real pain.

I prefer athletic tape to a bandage. It wraps up the toe and supports it
all. Almost like a pseudo toenail, it keeps everything in place. We use tape
a lot in Oz, to put muscles and joints back in place, support various bits,
move kneecaps.

ant

Old January 4th 05, 02:31 AM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"Fritz M" wrote in message
oups.com...

lal_truckee wrote:

Seriously, I've skied without a toe nail without problems or pain -
see Ant's advice; it's sound

Thanks for relaying the experience. Non-stick dressing and bandage to
cover the wound was the first thing I did. I also rode my bike 20 miles
this morning (26 F, light snow, heavy fog) -- there was some discomfort
in my cycling shoes at first, but no real pain.

I prefer athletic tape to a bandage. It wraps up the toe and supports it
all. Almost like a pseudo toenail, it keeps everything in place. We use tape
a lot in Oz, to put muscles and joints back in place, support various bits,
move kneecaps.

....but it's got that sticky underside, which might not be the best thing
for a traumatically-removed toenail -- not without an underwrap.

I'm a big fan of duct tape to go over parts that might be abraded. When
I know I'm going to be teaching beginner kids, I slap a 3" piece on each
foot, on the inside just forward of the ankle bone, because that tends
to get chafed when I have to spend the day skating up the hill. It's an
old hiker trick for avoiding blisters, but on something that's already
tender, it'd be iffy unless you planned to leave it on for weeks.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 4th 05, 03:28 AM
ant

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news
ant wrote:

"Fritz M" wrote in message
oups.com...

lal_truckee wrote:

Seriously, I've skied without a toe nail without problems or pain -
see Ant's advice; it's sound

Thanks for relaying the experience. Non-stick dressing and bandage to
cover the wound was the first thing I did. I also rode my bike 20 miles
this morning (26 F, light snow, heavy fog) -- there was some discomfort
in my cycling shoes at first, but no real pain.

I prefer athletic tape to a bandage. It wraps up the toe and supports it
all. Almost like a pseudo toenail, it keeps everything in place. We use
tape a lot in Oz, to put muscles and joints back in place, support
various bits, move kneecaps.

...but it's got that sticky underside, which might not be the best thing
for a traumatically-removed toenail -- not without an underwrap.

which is why I mentioned using gauze or other non-sticky in my previous
post, which was referred-to. I really didn't think it would be necessary to
repeat it all.

I would probably squirt in some antiseptic powder on teh gauze, before
wrapping it up, if it's still wet.

ant

Old January 4th 05, 04:16 AM
Walt

ant wrote:

snip

Wait a minute. I think this is where I came in.

--
// Walt
//

Old January 4th 05, 12:00 PM
Harry Weiner

On 3 Jan 2005 10:14:44 -0800, wrote this crap:

Scott, we know you are lying. No woman would date you.

Unless they were paid, of course.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old January 5th 05, 05:19 PM
A. B. Normal

Harry Weiner wrote:
On 3 Jan 2005 10:14:44 -0800, wrote this crap:

Scott, we know you are lying. No woman would date you.

Unless they were paid, of course.

Nope, not even the paid types. (He has nothing to pay with).