Fritschi/Naxo Freeride bindings--- anyone using either?

Old March 18th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry

Default Fritschi/Naxo Freeride bindings--- anyone using either?

Howdy!

Just wondering if anyone is using either the Fritschi Diamir Freeride
Plus or the Naxo Prinzzess Freeride A/T bindings. I've always had
traditional alpine bindings and used Alpine Trekkers, but just got new
skis and wish to put new bindings in them.

I used to huck 20-30 foot cliffs, but those days are rare now. I do
ski hard in every other way still, though.

Just wondering if anyone is using either of these AT bindings and how
they're working for you.

I still ski past or above stuff where I could get killed if my binding
ever slipping into Touring mode. I understand that the Naxos have an
extra mechanism which prevents that. Also they can go to slightly
higher DIN. (I'm 6'2".)

I'm thinking Naxo. But before I purchase, I'll see if anyone here can
give me advice.

For grins, here is a link from my trip to Whistler about 4 weeks ago.
Really windy hike up to DOA. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8MxxGpM8pI

Cheers!

Chris

Old March 19th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
lal_truckee

wrote:
Howdy!

Just wondering if anyone is using either the Fritschi Diamir Freeride
Plus or the Naxo Prinzzess Freeride A/T bindings. I've always had
traditional alpine bindings and used Alpine Trekkers, but just got new
skis and wish to put new bindings in them.

I used to huck 20-30 foot cliffs, but those days are rare now. I do
ski hard in every other way still, though.

Just wondering if anyone is using either of these AT bindings and how
they're working for you.

I still ski past or above stuff where I could get killed if my binding
ever slipping into Touring mode. I understand that the Naxos have an
extra mechanism which prevents that. Also they can go to slightly
higher DIN. (I'm 6'2".)

I've been using the Fritschi Diamir Freeride for several years of hard
skiing, including considerable inbounds yo-yoing, with no problems.

BTW, I've also never had them inadvertently "slip into touring mode" nor
have I heard such reports from anyone else. I'd be interested in
anecdotes of such events if anyone here has experienced such.

The Naxo system also generates good reports from the few users I've
spoken with - many more Fritschis around here than Naxos.
Old March 19th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry

Hey Uli:

I don't quite understand what you mean about the disadvantage of the
Naxo when going directly uphill. I can't picture what you're saying.
Can you describe it again for me?

Thanks!

Chris

Old March 19th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry

Ah right on, I get it.

Vielen Danken! Meine Deutsche ist auch nicht so gut, also vielen
besser ob sie mich in englisch repondiert haben!

Chris

that is the first time I tried typing any german in years!

Old March 20th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry

Rofl, so I *think* that's another vote against Naxos?

On Mar 20, 3:04 am, davidof
I'm thinking Naxo.

Naxo, the first small step on the journey to eventual Dynafit
enlightenment. Be careful glasshopper, the path is long, prone to
breakage and very heavy when taken with the Naxos but the reward all the
greater for your sufference.

Old March 21st 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Dll

Rofl, so I *think* that's another vote against Naxos?

On Mar 20, 3:04 am, davidof
I'm thinking Naxo.

Naxo, the first small step on the journey to eventual Dynafit
enlightenment. Be careful glasshopper, the path is long, prone to
breakage and very heavy when taken with the Naxos but the reward all the
greater for your sufference.

Naxo had some issues with an older binding that some can't seem to get over.

I had the opportunity to try a Freeride+ on one foot, and a Naxo N21 on the
other for touring. The difference was night and day, at least for me. I
thought the Naxo was absolutely superior for climbing. It's like you don't
even need a pivot in your AT boot, the roll is so smooth and efficient.
From the perspective of a ME, I think the Naxo is built a little better too.
The Naxo also has a more truer DIN release for the toe, so I think that add
some safety as well. The front release has its spring oriented like on
alpine bindings. So I bought the Naxos earlier in the season and have been
pretty happy. I'm not sure what you get with the Prinzess version. I'd
just get the N21 in the correct size and call it good.

- Nate