Help me find bindings for my new Volant Machete Soul's

Old January 6th 05, 03:19 PM
Mary Malmros

Jon C wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Jon C wrote:

I'm 5'9, 160 lbs, and a fairly aggressive skier. I just bought some
170cm Volant Machete Souls ($184 at REI Outlet!) and now I need some
bindings for them. The bindings on my Atomic 9.18's are currently
set at 6.5.

Apparently the skis have riser plates built into them.

Is something like this ok?
http://www.geardirect.com/Products/S...nding/6216.cfm

I'd like to keep the price under $100 if possible. Anyone have any
suggestions on where to buy? What do I need? What will I get with
a more expensive binding? What should I buy?

Jon

What about something like http://www.summitonline.com/37031.html ?

It looks like those also have risers, and I don't understand whether
that will work.

Someone please explain

The riser's on the ski, not on the binding. The question is whether
the binding you've chosen can be mounted on the ski you've chosen.
Check the manufacturer's website.

I'm checking out the Salomon S810, for example, which appears to me to
come with or without the Axe riser.. but Salomon's web site doesn't seem
to give any indication of what skis it may wortk with. The ski itself
is last year's so Volant's web site doesn't even acknowledge that it
exists..

That's hard luck, then, because I think you'll make out better figuring
out what bindings can go on the ski than vice versa. Obviously the
thing to do is to contact someone at Volant and ask them.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 6th 05, 04:21 PM
LePheaux

"Jon C" wrote in message
LePheaux wrote:
"Jon C" wrote in message

I'm 5'9, 160 lbs, and a fairly aggressive skier. I just bought some
170cm Volant Machete Souls ($184 at REI Outlet!) and now I need some
bindings for them. The bindings on my Atomic 9.18's are currently set at
6.5.

Apparently the skis have riser plates built into them.

Yup.
I have these same stix.salomon 810 bindings.
nice solid ski. a little un-forgiving in the bumps BUT a tadd better in
the crud
then the 175 HOTS.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/emilioss...mons811ps.html

Like those? With those bindings plus the riser on the skis, don't you
stand way up off the skis?

It's not much of a riser, the 1/4 inch or less it adds doesn't really add
enough to notice.
I also have a year old pair of tyrolia sl 110 PS bindings that worked well
on another pair of volants with the semi riser.
If your any where near the Seattle area you can take these off of my hands
for next to nothing.

Old January 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Jim Strohm

Jon C wrote:

[a little snippage]

I just bought some
170cm Volant Machete Souls ($184 at REI Outlet!) and now I need some
bindings for them.

Apparently the skis have riser plates built into them.

I'd like to keep the price under $100 if possible. Anyone have any
suggestions on where to buy? What do I need? What will I get with a
more expensive binding? What should I buy?

Considering that Volants have always run on the heavy side, a good
recommendation would be to find the lightest weight performance bindings
you can get. With a riser on the skis, you shouldn't really need a
riser plate, and that'll save some weight. Look for a DIN range that'll
go from DIN 5 to 12 or so.

Don't expect to find much of anything for less than $100 unless it's
either well-used or has been stolen at least once.

And be prepared to pay your local ski tech a reasonable sum to mount
your carry-in bindings on your carry-in skis.

Jimintexus

PS --Don't walk the Ridge with your Volants over your shoulder if
there's about to be an electrical storm.
Old January 7th 05, 09:05 PM
Chester Bullock

Jim Strohm wrote:

PS --Don't walk the Ridge with your Volants over your shoulder if
there's about to be an electrical storm.

Learn this one from experience?
----------------------
Chester Bullock,
It doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always
room temperature.
- Steven Wright
Old January 7th 05, 09:24 PM
Jim Strohm

Chester Bullock wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:

PS --Don't walk the Ridge with your Volants over your shoulder if
there's about to be an electrical storm.

Learn this one from experience?

It's a classic RSA thread from about 1998.
Old January 7th 05, 09:28 PM
Chester Bullock

Jim Strohm wrote:
Chester Bullock wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:

PS --Don't walk the Ridge with your Volants over your shoulder if
there's about to be an electrical storm.

Learn this one from experience?

It's a classic RSA thread from about 1998.

Ahh, that must have been during the time I wasn't reading RSA...

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
If a million people say a foolish thing,
it is still a foolish thing.
- Jacques Anatole Thibault
Old January 8th 05, 01:26 AM
Jon C

Jon C wrote:
I'm 5'9, 160 lbs, and a fairly aggressive skier. I just bought some
170cm Volant Machete Souls ($184 at REI Outlet!) and now I need some
bindings for them. The bindings on my Atomic 9.18's are currently set
at 6.5.

Apparently the skis have riser plates built into them.

Is something like this ok?
http://www.geardirect.com/Products/S...nding/6216.cfm

I'd like to keep the price under $100 if possible. Anyone have any
suggestions on where to buy? What do I need? What will I get with a
more expensive binding? What should I buy?

Jon

Thanks for the help. Stopped by a local shop that was going out of
business (Klein's) and got some Salomon S810 Ti Axe+ for $100.

Trying to find bindings Keith Alpine Skiing 2 November 2nd 04 03:17 AM
NNN Auto Bindings Author Nordic Skiing 4 December 19th 03 11:13 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 06:51 AM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM