New Year's Day ski ?

Old December 31st 04, 03:59 PM
Mark Eastman

Default New Year's Day ski ?

According to John Dee's snow report the northern 1/4 of Minnesota may have
escaped the rain event. Perhaps you could drive up there? I don't know how
long a drive that is however. He predicts more snow on the way for your
neck of the woods.

Mark
"J999w" wrote in message
There won't be any skiing here tomorrow except on melting man made snow.
The
temperature got up to 55 F yesterday and it's almost 50 F now. Maybe I
could
head for the beach with my rock skis?

Anyone else heading out for a New Year's ski ?

John Wilke
Milwaukee

Old December 31st 04, 04:23 PM
George Cleveland

"J999w" wrote in message
There won't be any skiing here tomorrow except on melting man made snow.
The
temperature got up to 55 F yesterday and it's almost 50 F now. Maybe I
could
head for the beach with my rock skis?

Anyone else heading out for a New Year's ski ?

John Wilke
Milwaukee

ABR in Ironwood MI is still reporting very good skiing, with snow
falling as we speak. Minocqua is still reporting a skiable base this
morning, its below freezing now. Afterglow in Phelps is closed today
while they regroom but I would bet they'll be open tomorrow. We lost
most of our snow last night just north of Wausau but I would guess
that the trails in the woods would be rock skiable. Supposedly we are
due to get more snow this weekend (how much depends on the storm
track) with two more storms for next week.

X your fingers.

g.c.
Old December 31st 04, 04:49 PM
Eric Nevalainen

We're back down in the 20's (St. Paul MN), but after the rain "event"
yesterday, what snow we had here is gone, not that it was ski-able
anyways. On the bright side, we still have some man-made snow to ski
on for new years day, and the streets were clear enough for me to try
out my new rollerskis this morning.

FWIW

Eric

Old December 31st 04, 11:39 PM
Jeff Clausen

..
"J999w" wrote in message
snip

Anyone else heading out for a New Year's ski ?

John Wilke
Milwaukee

Got 5" of snow yesterday so the local golf course will hopefully be groomed
tomorrow. Will be classical skiing in the 8-15 degree temps that have been
forcast. Could be worse.....Happy New Year.

Jeff Clausen
Whitefish, MT

To reply you need to dig the sliver out

Old January 1st 05, 01:11 AM
gr

J999w wrote:
There won't be any skiing here tomorrow except on melting man made snow. The
temperature got up to 55 F yesterday and it's almost 50 F now. Maybe I could
head for the beach with my rock skis?

Anyone else heading out for a New Year's ski ?

John Wilke
Milwaukee

No sking here in Rochester, NY; now is 49 degrees F at 9pm at night.
Incredibly bad considering tommorow is January!!
This bad weather has prevailed for several days, melting the adequate
snow cover we had, rending it into mud (which is virtually unskiable!).
Old January 1st 05, 02:37 AM
JP(CA)

Go skiing is my choice. Just got back from a 2 week vacation (torture
is probably a more suitable word) in Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson.
Temp was 60F to 68F. Should have planned the trip near Reno/Tahoe. I
couldn't resist to go to "Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort" to take a
look. No kidding, they ski in Vegas. I took pictures of the ski area.
How does one post a picture here?

JP(CA)

Old January 1st 05, 06:39 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

After this last Alberta Clipper, the forecasted high for today is -8 F
and the winds are pretty strong. So it's too cold to ski at Como, even
though the groomers were out grooming the 3" of new snow. Jay and I
headed to Afton State Park to get in some classic skiing in the woods.

Whoops, wrong decade.

I just got back from three days of skiing up at Giants Ridge. That
makes 4 days total that I've been skiing this year. Thr was
interesting, since I skied for an hour in the rain, and talk about
fast. Then I had to change clothes and I went out for another two hours
of skiing in the rain.

Finally, the rain soaked through everything at about the same time, and
I had to get inside. Even with a hair drier, I didn't get my boots dry
by the next day.

With all the rain Thr, it was still snowing when I left on Fri, and I
bet they have good skiing today. You have to remember that Giants Ridge
has often recorded -40 F (or -40 C, same thing), so this area of MN can
get really cold. In fact they have signs in the lodge asking if you've
started your car recently. So they can come through rain ok.

Even though the Twin Cities has artificial snow at Elm Creek and
Trollhaugen, I think people (including myself) have finally gotten
tired of skiing in circles for 3-4 years. When I've trained (I won't
call it skiing) out at Trollhaugen, I've noticed surprizingly few
master skiers compared to previous years. In contrast, when I skied the
Birkie Trail a couple weekends ago, I saw a bunch of Twin City skiers.
I think people are traveling...

I've been noticing that races have been extending the early signup
deadline, which I assume means their entries are low. And who can blame
skiers for not signing up when races keep the entry fees if the race is
cancelled. On the other hand, it costs about as much to run a race as
it does to cancel a race. So wait and pay the extra is becoming common.

Conditioning? Maybe next year. (grin)

So, this rain/snow event scheduled for today looms large. There's a
backup behind it, but the weather of past years has hardened MN skiers
in cynics saying "I'll believe it when I see it."

BTW, the Afton rollerski race has been cancelled due to ice. Sorry
about the late notice.

Jay (don't kill the messenger) Wenner

Old January 1st 05, 10:23 PM
Marsh Jones

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
[snip]
Even though the Twin Cities has artificial snow at Elm Creek and
Trollhaugen, I think people (including myself) have finally gotten
tired of skiing in circles for 3-4 years. When I've trained (I won't
call it skiing) out at Trollhaugen, I've noticed surprizingly few
master skiers compared to previous years. In contrast, when I skied the
Birkie Trail a couple weekends ago, I saw a bunch of Twin City skiers.
I think people are traveling...

I feel your payne!
I think the worst was 2/3 years ago when Eagle Lake made its brief
experiment with manmade. That was a short loop. When I lived in
Seattle, we trained a lot on the 400m velodrome. I can't even count the
number of nights we did lap after lap after lap under the lights. An
average endurance workout was 90-120minutes in a 46x16 or therabouts.
Skiing 10-15 laps at Elm Creek seems positively scenic by comparison.

All in all, I'd much rather ski the Ridge or Birkie Trail than ski Elm
Creek or Troll. Mesabi East is next week, so I'll be back up there
again with the kids. Maybe I can sneak a trip around Gold.

Happy New Year!

Marsh

Old January 1st 05, 10:40 PM
Terje Mathisen

J999w wrote:

There won't be any skiing here tomorrow except on melting man made snow. The
temperature got up to 55 F yesterday and it's almost 50 F now. Maybe I could
head for the beach with my rock skis?

Anyone else heading out for a New Year's ski ?

I had a wonderful trip above Lillehammer with my son Fredrik, skiing in
some of the same trails that we used when Jay T, Mike & Mike visited a
few years ago for Birken.

Unfortunately, the snow here in Oslo has already come & gone three times
so far this winter, i.e. currently you need to travel an hour or more to
find skiable snow and good trails. :-(

Terje

--
-
Old January 1st 05, 11:21 PM
Rob Bradlee

I had a lovely ski in bright sunshine and 50 F (10 C) temps at Weston
Ski Track just outside Boston. The natural snow was mostly gone, so we
were down to the small manmade loop. I did 45 minutes of classic on my
Rossi waxless ARs and then 30 minutes of skating to test out skis for
tomorrow's sprint race. Cold temps tonight so the snow guns will be
going again.

Rob Bradlee