time

Old July 27th 05, 10:39 PM
Howlee

Default time

maybe a dumb questions but....

when does the ski season begin in Colorado and in Tahoe?

when is there usually a good/decent base?

should one wait at least a month after it opens to go?

I usually go in Late Jan to Early March so there is usually plenty of snow-
I have always been lucky to actually have good conditions- powder, sunny,
etc.... I am thinking about going earlier this year, however, I do not want
to be dodging rocks.

Old July 27th 05, 10:55 PM
Sam Seiber

Howlee wrote:

maybe a dumb questions but....

when does the ski season begin in Colorado and in Tahoe?

I am going for October 22 here in Colorado. One run, at my beloved
Loveland. Dunno about anywhere else.

when is there usually a good/decent base?

Colorado, Late December, to Late January, depending on Ullr.

should one wait at least a month after it opens to go?

I am not going to wait much more than one minute after Loveland opens.
I will
be there opening day. But I am in dire need of a fix right now. Been
kind of hot in Denver lately.

I usually go in Late Jan to Early March so there is usually plenty of snow-
I have always been lucky to actually have good conditions- powder, sunny,
etc.... I am thinking about going earlier this year, however, I do not want
to be dodging rocks.

The times you usually go are the best times to NOT dodge rocks. Oh,
lemme think,
I think last season Loveland didn't get "the ridge" open til mid
January. Like
I said before, really depends on Ullr's visits.

Sam "Less than 13 weeks to wait for my Beloved Loveland to open" Seiber
Old July 28th 05, 01:52 AM
Wayne Decker

See my reply under "Any long range US forcasts yet?

--
I ski, therefore I am

Old July 28th 05, 06:27 PM
Howlee

Whats with loveland. Last year was my first year in Colorado and I managed
to ski about 20 days in Co- vail, beaver creek, breckenridge.

whats so special about loveland? I drove by on the way to the mountain. i
never hear people talk about that mountain, only A-Basin.

Old July 28th 05, 06:43 PM
Sam Seiber

Howlee wrote:

Whats with loveland. Last year was my first year in Colorado and I managed
to ski about 20 days in Co- vail, beaver creek, breckenridge.

whats so special about loveland? I drove by on the way to the mountain. i
never hear people talk about that mountain, only A-Basin.

Maybe it is because A-Basin is in BED BIG TIME with Vail. Loveland on
the
other hand is like the last family owned area in Colorado. Since I am
generally a weekend skier, and I really don't care to wait in line, I
don't
normally ski the areas you mentioned. I go out to log turns, not to
wait in line
or go shopping. A-Basin (IMHO) is loosing its value due to its
"marketing
agreement" with Vail. If you want to wait in really long lines, go to
A-Basin
in early November. I will get 3 times the vert at Loveland on the same
day.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber.
Old July 28th 05, 06:55 PM
Howlee

I'll check it out. Its on the way to the rest of the mountains anyways.

The people who talk about A basin are regular folks in denver that ski all
the time.

I go to the vail resorts because i have a friend who works/manages for them-
so i get $30 lift tickets and free meals. however, i agree, there are
lines, but i never had to wait longer than 2 minutes in a line at vail or
breckenridge. Also, the tree runs in the arrowhead area of beavercreek are
rarely croweded... I have to say, vail is awesome. I may start going to CO
instead of Tahoe from now on.... but i still do love tahoe....

"he said beaver.....uhhh hhuuh hhuhh huh...."

Old July 29th 05, 02:53 AM
Jack Nixon

Howlee wrote:

maybe a dumb questions but....

when does the ski season begin in Colorado and in Tahoe?

As soon as enough snow falls, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow
to open a trail. Once, a long time ago, Berthoud pass opened on Labor Day.

when is there usually a good/decent base?

As soon as it snow enough, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow.
Did I day that before?

should one wait at least a month after it opens to go?

Personally, I want immediate gratification and will often go skiing before it
opens.

I usually go in Late Jan to Early March so there is usually plenty of snow-
I have always been lucky to actually have good conditions- powder, sunny,
etc.... I am thinking about going earlier this year, however, I do not want
to be dodging rocks.

Sun can shine any time, especially in Colorado, and waiting for powder can be a
long time off skis. And besides, the freshest powder skiing is on days when the
sun ain't shining, you know, on the days it's dumping snow. If the slopes are
rocky, borrow skis from someone, preferably someone you don't like.

Jack--dormant in July.

Old July 29th 05, 06:33 PM
Sam Seiber

Jack Nixon wrote:

As soon as enough snow falls, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow
to open a trail. Once, a long time ago, Berthoud pass opened on Labor Day.

About what year was that? Oh, and in my book, it isn't an OFFICIAL
opening day
if you don't STAY open until the end of the season. If Berthoud closed
a few
days after cuz the snow melted, then it was a STUNT, not an opening day.

Sam "Thems is my rulz" Seiber
Old July 30th 05, 12:53 AM
ant

Sam Seiber wrote:

Maybe it is because A-Basin is in BED BIG TIME with Vail. A-Basin (IMHO)
is loosing its value due to its
"marketing agreement" with Vail. If you want to wait in really long
lines, go to
A-Basin in early November.

I always wondered how they managed that juggling act. Keystone owned
A-Basin, then Vail snapped up Keystone, but somehow A Basin remained
Keystone's. So I think Vail Resorts passes worked at A Basin (ours certainly
did but we were keystone), but our staff passes didn't work for the normal
things there, like half price food. All very puzzling.

It got mega busy in spring, too, some big queues at the base lifts.
Never got to Loveland, there was no bus there so you couldn't just up and go
like with all the other resorts. It was easier to jump on a bus to beaver
creek than to get to Loveland.

--
ant

Old July 30th 05, 02:36 AM
Jack Nixon

Sam Seiber wrote:

Jack Nixon wrote:

As soon as enough snow falls, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow
to open a trail. Once, a long time ago, Berthoud pass opened on Labor Day.

About what year was that? Oh, and in my book, it isn't an OFFICIAL
opening day
if you don't STAY open until the end of the season. If Berthoud closed
a few
days after cuz the snow melted, then it was a STUNT, not an opening day.

Sam "Thems is my rulz" Seiber

The Labor Day opening at Berthoud was in the early to mid 1960's. I remember it
because the Rocky Mountain News featured a front page picture of my then boss
enjoying the snow. Since we ran a ski shop in Denver it was an excellent free ad. Did
Berthoud remain open for the season? I have no idea, I just remember the day. Do I
lose points if it was a stunt? Ask the Colorado Skier to check the archives.

Jack