Lower Back Pain

Old December 21st 04, 07:47 PM
Jay Pique

Default Lower Back Pain

So who's got the secret recipe for how to get rid of the pain that's
in my lower back, just above my pelvis, and just to the right of the
spine?

A guy at work that sorta knows something some of the time, but usually
doesn't, told me to take a hot bath then do a push-up type thingy only
keep my pelvis on the ground and I can "readjust" my "pelvis" which is
"out of alignment".

JP
********
Or just drink more beer.
Old December 21st 04, 08:47 PM
lal_truckee

Jay Pique wrote:
So who's got the secret recipe for how to get rid of the pain that's
in my lower back, just above my pelvis, and just to the right of the
spine?

A guy at work that sorta knows something some of the time, but usually
doesn't, told me to take a hot bath then do a push-up type thingy only
keep my pelvis on the ground and I can "readjust" my "pelvis" which is
"out of alignment".

Long term? Strengthen your abdominal muscles...

Short term? Vitamin I pre-skiing. Ski more upright, with abs tightened,
and avoid significant drops onto flat landings.
Old December 21st 04, 08:55 PM
JQ

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So who's got the secret recipe for how to get rid of the pain that's
in my lower back, just above my pelvis, and just to the right of the
spine?

A guy at work that sorta knows something some of the time, but usually
doesn't, told me to take a hot bath then do a push-up type thingy only
keep my pelvis on the ground and I can "readjust" my "pelvis" which is
"out of alignment".

JP
********
Or just drink more beer.

See a good chiropractor that believes in using his/hers hands (moving the
bones). Many of today chiropractors are into the image of making one feel
good with using massage machines and other well intended gadgets. These
things are good if used with a good adjustment. There are several good
things you can do on you own if a good chiropractor is not around.
1. a) fold a pillow in half with the fold facing your buttock,
b) place the folded pillow under the small of your back,
c) lay on your back with pillow underneath you,
d) grab the top fold with both hands on each side of you,
e) tilt your pelvis upwards so that your but is being force into the
floor or bed
f) as your keep your hips tilted this way push the pillow towards your
feet
g) you will be causing the lower discs to separated to release the
tension on them so that the discs can realign themselves
h) if done properly you will feel the disc release the tension as you
push down
i) sleep on your back with the pillow under the small of the back, this
will help relieve the pressure on the back and keep the natural
curve
2. laying on your back bend your knee and cross it over your body keeping
the shoulders flat on the bed or floor and keeping the other
leg extended hold for 5 - 15 seconds & switch sides
There are other techniques that you could do but this will get you started
in the right direction.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old December 21st 04, 09:03 PM
FHemmer209

lal_truckee wrote:

avoid significant drops onto flat landings.

I have to watch my back and try to keep my mid-core strong. Even then if I hit
a flat landing I can throw it out of wack. Either stay on the snow or land on a
downward slope or even better, land in powder. Good luck.

Fred
Old December 21st 04, 10:54 PM
Mike

In addition to working the abs, I recommend stretching the hamstrings. I
had terrible lower back pain skiing last February.
Saw my Chriopracter and here's what worked for me.

Lie on your back in a doorway. Raise both legs and position yourself so
your butt is against the wall(at the edge of the door). Now, lower the leg
that is inside the doorway while keeping the other leg straight against the
wall. You will begin to feel the hamstring of the vertical leg stretching
as the leg is lowered. Don't bounce your leg, but hold it in the burning
position for 1 minute. Then repeat with the other leg.

As you become more flexible, you will have 1 leg vertical, the other leg
flat on the ground and your butt firmly against the wall. Until then, enjoy
the pain!!!

Good Luck.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:08 AM
Mary Malmros

Jay Pique wrote:

Or just drink more beer.

That might be a plan...

What I'd do in your place is go to a good massage therapist. IME,
they're some of the best at figuring out what the problem is, which is
pretty important before you go about trying remedies. I've also had
good luck with acupuncture.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
ant

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

A guy at work that sorta knows something some of the time, but usually
doesn't, told me to take a hot bath then do a push-up type thingy only
keep my pelvis on the ground and I can "readjust" my "pelvis" which is
"out of alignment".

don't do those. they used to be popular for "cracking" sore backs, but they
are only effective for certain conditions; you'd want to have it diagnosed
first! I was given them years ago when my back first blew up. When I got a
new Physio who changed my treatment, she was quite scathing about this
exercise. It can often aggravate the condition.

ant

Old December 22nd 04, 06:42 PM
marty

1. You need to have your back assessed by a pro-active MD. Assess for
ruptured disk, torn annulus, stenosis vs muscle soreness.

2. Strengthen (carefully) your core and leg muscles (glutes, hams, quads).

3. Work on flexibility of your hamstrings, glutes, quads and general
flexibility full body.

4. Use good body mechanics at all times.

5. If you're wealthy, massage won't cure the problem, but it can temporarily
relax some tight back muscles for a brief bit of relief.

Old December 24th 04, 06:03 AM
Cerberus

"Mike" wrote in message news:IG2yd.7605$iD.1575@fed1read05...
[...]

Yep, it sounds just like my pain and stretching those hamstrings is the
best.

Now that Celebrex is a no-no, I've headed back to yoga. Yeah, I know it
ain't very manly but it works and there is usually at least one good looking
girl in the class. LOL

Old December 24th 04, 02:03 PM
marty

"Cerberus" wrote in message

Now that Celebrex is a no-no, I've headed back to yoga. Yeah, I know it
ain't very manly but it works and there is usually at least one good

looking
girl in the class. LOL

Hey! Don't knock the Yoga. Twenty years ago my best friend couldn't surf
with me anymore because of back pain and the MD and chiropractor told him
not to surf anymore. I told him to try yoga. A month later he was surfing
again and still going strong.

And it's a solid workout if done properly. And, if you're smart and you
take a place at the back of the class, the scenery in front of you can be
inspiring.

Actually, when it comes to fitness, the male population generally falls way
short on flexibility; something that will prevent our back injuries in the
first place. Strength is necessary. Flexibility is necessary. The
combination can't be beat!