Severe Lower Back Pain after Skiing

Old February 7th 04, 04:21 AM
Mike

Default Severe Lower Back Pain after Skiing

Hi, I'm 25, been skiing for ten years, the last two weeks my back has been
a little sore, nothing serious, but noticable when doing stuff like tying
shoes, im going to get it checked out tomorrow but i wanted to know if
anyone else has ever had this problem, i went skiing three days ago and
it made the problem 100 times worse, after three hours of skiing i could
barely get off and on the chairlift. it was very painful the rest of the
day and the better part of the next day, only painful when going from
a sitting position to standing and vice versa, or bending over, but it
was so bad i had to brace myself everytime or try and pull myself up
with my arms. today its fine again, still there like i said before, but
very very slight and only noticable when doing something where i'm seriously
bending down, like picking something up off the floor or tying my shoes..
has anyone else ever experienced this? i'm really worried this is going to
affect my ability to ski..

Old February 7th 04, 05:09 AM
Ron N.Y

I get a sore lower back from skiing too . And I work out allot so it's not like I'm out of shape . I think it might have
something to do with my new boots . These Salomon 1050's seem to have allot of angle built into them and it forces me to keep
my knees bent all the time which in turn put pressure on my lower back . But that's just a theory , my friend's theory is I'm
getting old . I keep telling him I'm only 42 and to shut up if he wants to stay friends . Of course his back never hurts and
he hardly works out , go figure .
Ron

Old February 7th 04, 05:43 AM
bdubya

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:21:33 GMT, (Mike) wrote:

[...]

Odd, that. The two weeks of being "a little sore" that you mention -
was that skiing-related, or not?
I ask because I've got two badly herniated lumbar discs, and a lot of
the symptoms you describe sound awfully familiar. Except that skiing
never made it much worse for me, and sometimes made it better
(basically, any kind of activity involving being upright and active is
better than sitting behind the wheel of a car, and VASTLY better than
sitting at a desk all day). When you get checked out, if there's a
way to get an MRI on somebody else's dime, do it.

bw
Old February 7th 04, 04:10 PM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

(Kneale Brownson) wrote in message . com...
(Mike) wrote in message ...
[...]

Did this commence after skiing? Or was it aggravated by skiing? If
it started after skiing, was it the first time skiing after a long
layoff?

You don't say how your overall condition is. I used to get BAD back
pains from doing anything when I was in my 20s. Finally figured out
it was from lack of regular exercise and just being in poor condition.
I started exercising regularly, 2-3 times a week, for 1/2 hour each
time. Now at the age of 67, I ski 20 + days a year, mountain climb,
and don't have any back pain at all. Knees get sore after 8 straight
days of intermediate skiing, but nothing that one aspirin before going
out does not completely cure. (Also helps with hangovers if necessary
:-).)

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
Old February 7th 04, 04:15 PM
Mike

Did this commence after skiing? Or was it aggravated by skiing? If
it started after skiing, was it the first time skiing after a long
layoff?

severely aggravated by skiing, had skiied five times earlier this season
before i got my sore back.

Old February 7th 04, 04:17 PM
Mike

You don't say how your overall condition is. I used to get BAD back
pains from doing anything when I was in my 20s.

well im fairly active in the summer but usually the only thing i do
in the winter is ski once a week, im going to go play squash today
before i go to the doctors, hopefully that won't make it worse,
if running makes it worse im screwed

Keski 25k Classic. View from the back. Mike Hui Nordic Skiing 24 March 4th 04 08:15 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Lower leg injuries in classic skiing Everett Nordic Skiing 6 December 13th 03 03:43 AM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Back To Hard Wheels Fot Skate Roller Skiing. Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 4 August 10th 03 07:14 PM