Colorado or Banff? In December-January

Old July 12th 03, 10:39 AM
Serena

Default Colorado or Banff? In December-January

Hi,

I've finally got a computer and Internet access back in my house....
what a relief. So I've been doing some investigating, and if I decide
to stay for 3 weeks, Colorado and Banff would cost just about the
same! (I'm coming up from NZ BTW).

Colorado:
Early season lift pass for Breck, Keystone and A-Basin: $299
3 weeks of hostel accommodation plus tax: approx $500 (at Alpen Hutte)

Total: $820 U.S. or $1100-$1200 CDN

Banff:
Banff HI Hostel has this deal for 30 days of lodging and Sunshine lift
tix for approx. $1200. I asked for quotation for 3 weeks. The rate for
5 days of lift tix and 6 nights of lodging at Globe Village
Backpackers was $400 CND, so 3 weeks we're looking at around
$1100-$1200CND.

Any advice on where to go? I am a novice/intermediate snowboarder, I
only learned to snowboard last year in East Coast of US and nearly
busted my arse in process. So I'm looking for little bit softer snow
condition. Which has better condition in Dec-Jan?

Airfare would cost about the same, but with flight to Denver, I get to
earn some milage with Delta whereas I'll have to fly with Alaskan
Airlines to Calgary and I don't have their frequent flyer programme.

I also plan to buy most of my gear once I get there, including
snowboard, boots, binding, pants, possibly a jacket, etc, etc, etc,
and some other items such as Palm pilot.... Are they going to be
cheaper in Canada or Colorado? (also some other trivial items such as
food.)

So considering all of the above, where's the best in Dec-Jan? I need
to decide now to secure plane tix - I went to the travel agent today
and I'm waitlisted (yes, waitlisted!) for flight to Calgary in Jan.

And does anybody know of email address of Summit County International
Hostel in Dillon, CO?
Old July 18th 03, 11:37 AM
Switters

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:42:33 GMT, "RR"
allegedly wrote:

Either way, I'll be watching for responses... in this hyperactive
group.

It's quiet because it's summer up here, and a lot people just don't seem
to check the group during that time.

I was weighing up Colorado/Whistler... Always thought the US would be
over the top on price.. but apparently not.

I've not been to Colorado, so couldn't really comment. The snow is
supposed to be lighter, and when it dumps you'll be in for a good time I'd
imagine.

Whistler is a great place, and gets lots of snow, but it can also get a
lot of rain.

You could check back in November when the group starts picking up again,
nowhere is snow sure, not even BC!

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old July 19th 03, 08:00 PM
Sam

"RR" wrote in message ...
Hey Serena... trying to make pretty much the same decision here... I'm
presuming you mean New Zulland NZ and not some American state that this dumb
Aussie don't know about?

Either way, I'll be watching for responses... in this hyperactive group.

I was weighing up Colorado/Whistler... Always thought the US would be over
the top on price.. but apparently not.

Here's hoping for some response. Just a tip... a mate of mine (Financial
Planner) was suggesting I buy some $US now whilst $Aus is looking good
(unsure about $NZ)... just in case things downturn between now and Pow Pow
time! Could save you an extra 10% or so... hedging!

I live in Colorado, so I can comment on that... First of all if you
decide to get a season pass for Breck (the Buddy Pass), do it before
the US summer is over. The price goes way up after somewhere around
October. The buddy pass allows unlimited access to Breck (very cool,
huge place), A-basin (also very nice but small w/ mostly difficult
alpine terrain), and Keystone (mostly skiers and lameness, not as good
as the previous two). One other thing, you must get the pass in
person the first time. After that you can renew it online.

The snow conditions vary greatly here around then (well, I guess
always) so it's hard to say. If you come around the end of December,
it's likely that most terrain will be open w/ a fairly decent base.
January it typically one of the driest months though, so it can get
fairly hard/icy around then. The really good snow comes February -
April.

Also keep in mind that we've been having a drought in Colorado. Last
year's season (2002-2003) was really good for snowfall (like record
breaking nice), but the year before that (2001-2002) was terrible
(record breaking bad!). We may be coming out of the drought, so
hopefully this year will be nice as well. I've heard the Dillon
hostels are fairly nice w/ bus service to the resorts. Our dollar is
pretty weak right now, so should be a pretty good deal for you guys.
If you have any other questions let me know! I'd be happy to show you
the good spots if you make it out here.

Sam
Old July 20th 03, 06:56 AM
Serena

Yes, I am from New Zealand. And I've decided to go to Colorado.

The price difference between Colorado and Banff are not as great as I
thought it would be, especially if you buy Colorado season pass now
(dirt cheap right now). Also for a person who is not going to have my
own wheels, Colorado would be much better place because of the
excellent shuttle service they've got between the mountains and
villages near by; whereas the Banff deal I mentioned does not include
transport to the slopes, which do add up at the end.

And minor thing, but all the American hostels I emailed to provided
fast, succinct response with all the informations I wanted; whereas
the Canadian ones uniformly answered: "nah, it hasn't been worked out
mate. ask back, like, in September." Which may be fine for Canadians,
but by then all the cheap flights to Canada from New Zealand would've
been solidly booked out.

Also I love shopping. And the States is the better place for buying
all the junkets that I can't afford to buy in New Zealand. (e.g. palm
pilot, snowboard, etc, etc...).

"RR" wrote in message ...
Hey Serena... trying to make pretty much the same decision here... I'm
presuming you mean New Zulland NZ and not some American state that this dumb
Aussie don't know about?

Either way, I'll be watching for responses... in this hyperactive group.

I was weighing up Colorado/Whistler... Always thought the US would be over
the top on price.. but apparently not.

Here's hoping for some response. Just a tip... a mate of mine (Financial
Planner) was suggesting I buy some $US now whilst $Aus is looking good
(unsure about $NZ)... just in case things downturn between now and Pow Pow
time! Could save you an extra 10% or so... hedging!

m...

Old July 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
og

Shopping here is great for some things, but for snowboard equipment you'd
be better off buying in NZ.

Why's that? Snowboard equipment is cheap in the States..

I sent piles of used gear to Europe this year because the prices are so high
there.