vasaloppet 2006

Old July 22nd 04, 07:22 PM
32 degrees

Default vasaloppet 2006

Just decided to do the big one - Vasaloppet 2006 to celebrate my 40th
birthday...

anyone help me out here....

1. Can I actually enter the vasaloppet or do I have to do the Oppet Spar
thing?
2. Airfare cost?
3. Dates? Cant find it on the site?
4. Any groups from the Twin Cities area going?
5. 90km right?
6. Accomodations not a problem - have friends over there.

I know its very early but I just want to get the ball rolling.

thanks !
Jeff Kalember

Old July 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
32 degrees

wow !
Just check the website and the 2005 is already full !!

Holy cow, do I have a chance at even getting in for 2006?
I'll be travelling with 2 other friends who will ski too - can all three of
us possibly get in?
Anyone know when registration opens for 2006?

JK

Old July 23rd 04, 03:31 AM
Gary Jacobson

For one, you could probably still get into 2005 as a foreigner. Out of
towners sometimes get special consideration. Or one can buy someone's number
who is already registered. Check E-bay

If you write to the race organization they'll let you know about 2006. They
are very helpful.

Just last night I was thinking about another Vasaloppet. (Did it one time.)
Good to get the ball rolling early. Start double pole training tonight.

You'll have a great trip. It's such a fun event.

World loppet site has 2006 dates.

Probably best to fly into Stockholm and train up to Mora. Maybe stop off
along the way at a WC venue to ski.

SAS usually can get us from NY to any major Scandi city for about $350.00
RT.
Or buy a car over there and fly for free. (Best to do that in summer when
ticket prices soar.)

Accomodations are tough- so you're fortunate.

Send me your address and I'll get you a video of 1993.
Jan site has some Vasaloppet too.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old July 23rd 04, 09:27 AM
Anders Lustig

"32 degrees" wrote in message ...

1. Can I actually enter the vasaloppet or do I have to do the Oppet Spar
thing?

Yes, all NA skiers are obliged to do the Öppet Spår first.
Their performance is carefully monitored and if they get
an approval rating of 80% they are allowed to enter the
next year Vasaloppet proper.

2. Airfare cost?

Prohibitive. Book a cabin on a slow boat via China.

3. Dates? Cant find it on the site?

The arrangers wish to make it clear that no requests
to fix dates with those beautiful blonde Swedish girls
will be met.

The first Sunday of March is a good bet, though.

FWIW and IMHO those who want to enter in 2005 don't
have to despair, there'll be a lot of action in the
"For Sale" section closer to the race day.

BTW was your marathon thwarted by ITBS or some such
aggro? (Mine was pretty much totaled by a case of
Montezuma revenge - I ended up in the medical tent
with an IV drop...)

Anders
Old July 23rd 04, 11:09 AM
32 degrees

HAHAHA, see you on the starting line Anders.
No marathon due to strept throat infection 4 days before the race...
but, we'll see you in March 2006 for sure !
JK

"Anders Lustig" wrote in message
om...

Old July 25th 04, 02:07 PM
Lars

As I can remember it.
Vasaloppet 2004 was fully booked for Sweeds on ca May 17th 2003.
And for foreigners it was full sometime in july 2003.

For Vasaloppet 2005 it was fully booked for Sweeds on ca May 12th
2004.
And for foreigners it was full around june 2nd 2004!

For travel companies have extra tickets. And you can maye buy
startnumbers on Vasaloppets www site during winter before the race. If
someone are selling theirs.

Registering for the 2006 online starts right after the 2005 race.
Remember seeding races. Start led 10 is bad :-)

See you all at March 6th 2005
Old July 26th 04, 06:48 AM
Terje Mathisen

Gary Jacobson wrote:
Probably best to fly into Stockholm and train up to Mora. Maybe stop off
along the way at a WC venue to ski.

Most people don't know/realize this, but Vasaloppet is actually held not
too far away from Birkebeineren, and closer to Oslo than Stockholm!

(I just checked my maps: It is just 102 km between the two starting
towns, Rena and Sälen. The road distance is closer to 160 km, i.e. 100
miles)

According to Garmin Mapsource, the best driving route from Oslo to Sälen
is 327 km, while it is 416 km from Stockholm.

I.e. it is quite possible to visit both Norway and Sweden on a trip to Vasa.

Terje
--
-
Old July 26th 04, 11:05 AM
32 degrees

Unfortunately the vasaloppet and birkebeineren are 2 or 3 weeks apart !! I
would ceratinly love to stay in Sweden/Norway/Finland for that long but my
wife and kids might not think so !!

I'll have to do the Birkebeinerenett for my 50th !

JK

Old July 26th 04, 12:51 PM
Terje Mathisen

32 degrees wrote:

Unfortunately the vasaloppet and birkebeineren are 2 or 3 weeks apart !! I
would ceratinly love to stay in Sweden/Norway/Finland for that long but my
wife and kids might not think so !!

I'll have to do the Birkebeinerenett for my 50th !

I didn't suggest/think that you'd do both, just that you could fly in a
week early and spend some time in Oslo and/or Lillehammner, before going
on to Sweden.

Terje

--
-
Old July 27th 04, 07:20 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Terje Mathisen wrote:

Gary Jacobson wrote:
Probably best to fly into Stockholm and train up to Mora. Maybe stop off
along the way at a WC venue to ski.

According to Garmin Mapsource, the best driving route from Oslo to Slen
is 327 km, while it is 416 km from Stockholm.

The key here is whether you take the train as Gary suggested or rent a
car as Terje implies. Mora is a much shorter train ride from Stockholm.
To get to Mora from Oslo by train you have to first go to Stockholm.
And to get to Mora from Lillehammer, you have to first go to Oslo, etc.
Don't ask me why I know this. :-(

-Mitch