ski equipment prices

Old October 26th 03, 12:00 AM
Alex Heney

Default ski equipment prices

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:49:26 GMT, "stuart"
wrote:

Most resorts are rip-offs compared to shops in the cities a few miles
away. But they are banking on the fact that most people buying
equipment while on a ski trip are doing so at least partly because of
proxi,mity to the slopes. They can try them out, and go back for
adjustments if necessary, without losing much ski time.

Sure, good point, but there are literally hundreds of ways to get from the
airport in Calgary to Banff. Unlike Europe, we are a culture of
transportation junkies. Got cars for rent, gotta be dozens of buses to
Banff. If I were travelling from the UK, I would rent a car at Calgary, then
drive the 90 minutes to Banff, or better yet, stay in Canmore for 50 bucks a
night. Then you can ski Nakiska, Sunshine, Lake Louise, or if the roads are
good, spend the three hours and drive up the famous Icefields Parkway to
Jasper and ski a day or so at Marmot.

Indeed. And if I were going again, I would probably do that. Although
I would still probably get a package, it would be one with car hire
rather than bus transfers.

I'm not sure why you think you are any more a "culture of
transportation junkies" than Europe though?

I would never buy a package which was all inclusive, and extremely
restrictive. You can do cheaper, by getting the best airfare, then arranging
your own accomodation and transportation.

Probably, but that is more hassle. There are still an awful lot of
people here who do not trust the internet, and arranging accommodation
and car hire from across the Atlantic can be daunting if you are not
used to it.

For most Brits, the extra hassle - or more accurately, the extra
*perceived* hassle probably outweighs the savings to be made.

And in fact, the savings are not always that great. The package
operators can get good hotel and air fare discounts, because they buy
in bulk. As individuals, we can't always get as good a deal, although
we may well be able to find cheaper hotels that are not on the package
lists at all.

Remember, Banff, Jasper, Golden
and Canmore are summer resorts, and NEVER get much above 20% occupancy
during winter (The Euros don't know this so they get the "on hill"
accomodations $$$$$$)

Yes. This is something I would expect very few Brits to be aware of
until they have been there at least once (and the OP hadn't, or he
would not have been asking the question). In Europe, most of the ski
resorts are just as busy at peak ski season as they are at peak summer
season. Sometimes more so.

I know it surprised me to find that the hotels (and the slopes) were
so empty, in the second week of March.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
One way to better your lot is to do a lot better...

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 26th 03, 12:33 PM
stuart

wrote:

[...]

Three main reasons...cheaper gas, cheaper gas and cheaper gas.....Not always
a good thing, tho'. You Brits own 1 vehicle per 4 people. Here its the other
way around. 4 vehicles per 1 person. (Being fecetious, but you get my point)
Got the convertible for the summer, the truck to haul the boat and motor,
and the big car for group outings:-)
And don't forget the family Cessna for longer trips eh?

[...]

I would be inclined to obtain a contact here in Canada. One day, I would
like to find someone in the UK who would loan me a vehicle to use to see the
country when I visit. I could then reciprocate and loan them one of mine. Or
alternatively, get someone local to book the rental car and the hotel for
you. It's very easy. Canada, and Alberta in particular is not a difficult
place to find one's way around in, especially for a ski trip. There's
usually only 1 way to get where you are going, unlike the UK.

Remember, Banff, Jasper, Golden
and Canmore are summer resorts, and NEVER get much above 20% occupancy
during winter (The Euros don't know this so they get the "on hill"
accomodations $$$$$$)

Yes. This is something I would expect very few Brits to be aware of
until they have been there at least once (and the OP hadn't, or he
would not have been asking the question). In Europe, most of the ski
resorts are just as busy at peak ski season as they are at peak summer
season. Sometimes more so.

I know it surprised me to find that the hotels (and the slopes) were
so empty, in the second week of March.

There's plenty of rooms all ski season, with the exception of perhaps
Whistler due to its proximity to Vancouver. The drive from Calgary to Banff
is a breeze. Throw in a side trip shopping in Calgary might use up an extra
half hour to buy skis;-)