first double black!

Old February 11th 04, 07:29 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-11, Chester Bullock penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

When we went to Keystone early in the season, the only run open to the
main lift was a steep, icy blue. So even those who should have been
skiing greens were on it. What a mess!

That is one of the major issues with Keystone. Having been there a few
times this year, another issue is how far you have to walk from the
parking lot to the lifts...

Agreed. The situation might be a bit improved by my recent decision
that I'd rather spend $2/day on a locker than hike from any parking lot
to the lodge in ski boots ...

--
monique

Old February 12th 04, 02:29 AM
bdubya

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:32:07 CST, bdubya
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:05:10 CST, Alex Heney wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:31:05 CST, "MattB"
wrote:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

snip
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as I have no idea what you're
talking about. So now I have to ask: what are Dynafit, Fritschi, and
Whippets?

I only know Dynafit in a ski context. It's a custom liner. I have some and I
swear by them. Once your stock liners pack out and you boots don't fit like
they used to you should get some too.

IIRC Whippets where the Nitrous cartridges we'd fill balloons with and
inhale for a buzz in my younger days. Chances are, that's not what's being
referred to here.

Nah, whippets are dogs. Like greyhounds but smaller. Still probably
not what is being referred to here ;-)

Nah, Whippet's a really overstable driver and a good wind-piercer, but
it takes a lot of arm (more than I have) to really put it to use.
www.innovadiscs.com/discs/whippet.html
Still probably not what is being referred to here ;-)

Sorry bout the double-post...I'll atone by explaining that the Whippet
being referred to here is a handgrip for backcountry ski poles, that
has a "self arrest" thang on it, sort of like an ice axe, that can be
used to stop oneself from sliding down an icy face to certain injury
or worse.

And congrats on main street - that's an honest double black that I
found rather humbling, personally.

bw

Old February 12th 04, 03:58 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-12, bdubya penned:

Sorry bout the double-post...I'll atone by explaining that the Whippet
being referred to here is a handgrip for backcountry ski poles, that
has a "self arrest" thang on it, sort of like an ice axe, that can be
used to stop oneself from sliding down an icy face to certain injury
or worse.

Ah!

That sounds kinda useful, even in non-back country situations. I
remember this black groomer at Solitude where I fell ... and kept
falling ... and tried to dig in with my pole ... and kept falling ...
and lost my poles ...

Ah, glorious yardsale!

And congrats on main street - that's an honest double black that I
found rather humbling, personally.

Well, we purposely chose a (rare) sunny day, so the snow was fairly nice
and the visibility was great. I'm sure it would have been a lot scarier
in icy or (more common) shady conditions.

--
monique

Old February 12th 04, 08:18 AM
The Real Bev

wrote:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

[...]

I once saw Ashley Whippet in person. Most impressive, but also probably
not what's wanted.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 12th 04, 04:20 PM
MattB

On 2004-02-11, Charlie Crabb penned:

Great stuff! Notice how well you ski the single blacks and advanced
intermediates after this. And it's great that the fun factor
triumphed. These slopes can be brutal. I have not skied A-Basin,
but it's on my list.

Heh. Shortly after the double-black, I belly-flopped after getting my
tip caught on the top of a tree on Powder Keg (black). Ow! So I
don't know about skiing them any better ...

I find it a lot easier to catch an edge or hook a tip as the terrain
flattens out once you've gotten a little used to a steeper grade. The
flatter terrain requires more edge control (more angulation) and a more
defined lead change than on steeps. I've been bitten by that many times. I
ski steeps all day and feel pretty good about myself and then on the more
gradual slopes heading back to the base I'll make some kind of rookie
mistake and eat it. It's even more of a problem (for me) when I'm on the
hippie sticks.

Matt

Old February 12th 04, 06:07 PM
Chester Bullock

On 2004-02-11, Chester Bullock penned:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

When we went to Keystone early in the season, the only run open to the

main lift was a steep, icy blue. So even those who should have been
skiing greens were on it. What a mess!

That is one of the major issues with Keystone. Having been there a few
times this year, another issue is how far you have to walk from the
parking lot to the lifts...

Agreed. The situation might be a bit improved by my recent decision
that I'd rather spend $2/day on a locker than hike from any parking lot
to the lodge in ski boots ...

I tried that too. But the combined weight of my boot bag (with my
wife's boots in it) and my skis (which I am finding weigh a ton) made
that a one time decision. YMMV.
----------------------
Chester

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Old February 12th 04, 06:29 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-12, Chester Bullock penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

I tried that too. But the combined weight of my boot bag (with my
wife's boots in it) and my skis (which I am finding weigh a ton) made
that a one time decision. YMMV.

Boot bag?

I always just take the velcro straps on my boots, slap 'em together, and
put them over my shoulder. Instant "carrying device"! Easy to carry
two sets this way, too -- actually, it's probably better to carry two,
so that you're not tilting your shoulders. I was even able to ski down
the mountain once this way (long ago, and I don't recall why). The
shoulder straps from my backpack keep the boot straps from slipping.

The walk to the Breck lift still sucks, though. There must be some
secret to which I'm just not privy.

--
monique

Old February 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Chester Bullock

On 2004-02-12, Chester Bullock penned:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

I tried that too. But the combined weight of my boot bag (with my
wife's boots in it) and my skis (which I am finding weigh a ton) made
that a one time decision. YMMV.

Boot bag?

I always just take the velcro straps on my boots, slap 'em together, and
put them over my shoulder. Instant "carrying device"! Easy to carry
two sets this way, too -- actually, it's probably better to carry two,
so that you're not tilting your shoulders. I was even able to ski down
the mountain once this way (long ago, and I don't recall why). The
shoulder straps from my backpack keep the boot straps from slipping.

The walk to the Breck lift still sucks, though. There must be some
secret to which I'm just not privy.

Yep, there is. Get there early, get rockstar parking at the shuttle bus
area. Ride the bus to Peak 9. That walk is a piece of cake, and
getting on the Beaver Run chair is faster than the stuff at the base of
Peak 8.
----------------------
Chester

I'm gonna survive or die trying.

Old February 12th 04, 09:00 PM
Chuck

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

On 2004-02-10, Chuck penned:

Congrats.

Thank you!

I did my first single black this year. I too found it easier to make
the ski's turn on the steeper terrain though I didn't stop at all
between turns (except to help a fallen skier get his poles back). I'll
probably only get out 1 or 2 more days this season with this weekend
being one. I may try a double black on one of those trips. I do have
to wonder if a black in PA counts the same as a black anywhere else.

Congrats to you!

Which resort in PA?

Jack Frost. The trail was called Thunderbolt.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that Seven
Springs, Blue Knob, and Hidden Valley, not to mention Roundtop and Ski
Liberty, are all in PA, but they certainly aren't all the same in terms
of difficulty.

(Minuteman at Roundtop was my first ever blue.)

Sounds like you skied mostly in central PA, Harrisburg area.

I've skied several times at Roundtop and know the trail you're referring
to well. It was also my wife's first blue (last year). I think after
skiing at Bretton Woods NH, the blues in PA didn't look quite as
difficult to her any more. Of the trails I skied at Roundtop, I think
susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber turn, and the
lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I skied there.

I think the only thing I can say with absolute confidence is that runs
in PA are pretty short. There's just not much vertical to work with.

That's why I usually go to Blue Mountain in the southern end of the
Poconos. It has the most vertical (1080ft) in PA, has several trails over
a mile long, and is only about 75 minutes from home.
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old February 12th 04, 10:55 PM
lal_truckee

On 2004-02-10, klaus penned:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Whee! I did my first double black ever yesterday. Main Street at
A-Basin. I'm told that, as double blacks go, it's not that high on
the "pucker factor" -- but that's okay. It was a good confidence
builder, and it was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be.

Major congrats... be careful.. next thing you know you'll be asking
about Dynafit vs. Fritschi. And Whippets.

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as I have no idea what you're talking
about. So now I have to ask: what are Dynafit, Fritschi, and Whippets?

Ah. Before we go too far astray - Dynafit and Fritschi are Randonee AKA
Alpine Touring binding systems - good skiers who start to venture out
into the wild snow often make the next step to climbing for better
turns. See
http://telemarkski.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/at_bindings.html for
pictures and descriptions of Dynafit and Fritschi bindings. (Difference
boils down to weight.) Whippets are speciality "ice ax" pole handles for
stopping your slide before you go over that cliff in the backcountry.

It's a complement.