Web site for cardiac athletes (updated)

Old June 2nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Sticky Wicket

Default Web site for cardiac athletes (updated)

If you are a heart patient who has gone on to make such a good recovery that
your doctor/physician has agreed to let you return to your favourite sport
"so long as you don't over do it!", then you might be interested in a
website, launched in April 2002:

http://www.cardiacathletes.org/

This is a non-commercial, free website. In the forums you will meet many
like-minded, friendly and interesting people from around the world to share
your experiences with. You will learn much from others on how to heal your
heart safely and effectively, to become fitter and healthier, to improve
your sports performance, to stay positive and optimistic.

The site has been reorganized since I last posted.

On a personal note, I had a major heart operation at the end of September
2006 * aortic valve (mechanical) and aortic root replacement (Bental
operation), mitral valve (mechanical) replacement, and pacemaker implanted
(a result of the operation) * the consequence of a congenital condition
(Marfan syndrome). On January 1, 2007 I completed a 5 km fun run (ran the
whole way, albeit slowly), May 12 I ran a 15 km trail race, and May 26 I ran
a 25 km trail race. While in none of these was I competitive, in none of
them was I last either in my age group nor overall. I will be exploring
exactly how far I can progress from here. Cardiac surgery does not mean an
end to an active life-style.