Modern bikes are rubbish

Old June 17th 06, 02:02 PM

Default Modern bikes are rubbish

Well, they are when it comes to working on them. I've just spent 3
1/2 hours changing the oil, filter and spark plugs on the ZX10R.

To be fair, the oil and filter was easy enough, delayed only by the
fact that the last person to see the filter was a little chap with
slanty eyes, and the only way to get it off was the time honoured
"hammer a screwdriver through it". And that took 2 attempts, and then
a long lever on the screwdriver.

No, the other 3 or so hours was spent doing the spark plugs. I
started well enough - once seat, tank and airbox was off I could
actually see the plug caps. Funny things they are too - they have the
coil built in, and the loom plugs straight into them. Then the
problem started - there wasn't enough clearance for the plug caps for
cylinders 1 and 4 to be removed. So, you have to unbolt some braketry
that bolts up the front of the engine, requiring the fairing side
panels to be removed. Even then, access is near impossible - I'd have
never managed it without ratchet screwdrivers. And a universal joint
is required on your socket bar to get the plugs out.

So, next time you complain about the cost of a service, think on.

grumpy old bloke mode
eh, when I were a lad you could reach the plugs and caps of a Z650
without removing *anything*

Right, Imm off to London for 18 hours or so. Back later
--
Champ
Old June 17th 06, 02:04 PM

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:02:35 +0100, Champ wrote:

snip

For those whose news-servers don't process cancels - sorry. Wrong
newsgroup!
--
Champ