Birkie snow conditions

Old February 18th 05, 05:35 PM
Jim Kelley

Default Birkie snow conditions

Just finished reading this:
http://www.haywardwi.com/record/inde...tory_id=194074

At least it sounds like they will try to do everything they can to make
a Main St. finish happen. I guess I don't see why they aren't taking a
more agressive approach. If the City of Lakes can make snow a couple
of weeks before their race, why can't the Birkie? If Mora can put an
entire race on a lake, why is Bill Pierce worried about low/no snow on
Lake Hayward? Heck, call up the Mora organizers and ask if the Birkie
organizers can rent/borrow their ice shaving machine (whatever its
called) to groom of ribbon of race course on the lake to Main St. to
prevent a Duffy Field finish. Think snow and cold folks.

Old February 18th 05, 05:55 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Jim Kelley wrote:

Just finished reading this:
http://www.haywardwi.com/record/inde...tory_id=194074

At least it sounds like they will try to do everything they can to make
a Main St. finish happen. I guess I don't see why they aren't taking a
more agressive approach. If the City of Lakes can make snow a couple
of weeks before their race, why can't the Birkie? If Mora can put an
entire race on a lake, why is Bill Pierce worried about low/no snow on
Lake Hayward? Heck, call up the Mora organizers and ask if the Birkie
organizers can rent/borrow their ice shaving machine (whatever its
called) to groom of ribbon of race course on the lake to Main St. to
prevent a Duffy Field finish. Think snow and cold folks.

Well, here's what Bill Pierce says in the article:

"The weather forecast for this week and next week is for high
temperatures to remain below 30 degrees, Pierce indicated. “It’s just a
matter of squeezing some snow out. If not, we’re also looking at the
possibility of making snow at the end of this week (in Hayward) to haul
for Main street.”

At this point, the weather forecast appears to be “very cooperative”
this weekend, with a chance of snow this Friday and Saturday, he said.
“If we don’t see something significant out of that, then we’ll look at
trying to make snow."

I'm not sure what your complaint is. Snowmaking is expensive, thus
holding off is not unreasonable.

Gene
Old February 18th 05, 06:07 PM
Jim Kelley

oh geez...here we go...let me be clear.....I AM NOT COMPLAINING...geez
I knew I shouldn't have typed anything past the link....chill out....My
only point was that COLL planned WEEKS in advance (and actually made
the snow well before the race) to make snow to cover the streets of
downtown. Why would that be such a huge deal for the Birkie to
consider, rather than wait until the week before Sure it costs money
and its easy for me to say. Is the Birkie big time or not? I do not
intend on getting into a ****ing match about my comments or how my
comments were interpreted. Lets just think cold and snow folks.

Old February 18th 05, 06:24 PM

I feel secure about this Birkie weather-wise, because '03 was much
worse - there was essentially no snow at all in the area. But they
still made it happen somwehow, Main Street finish included.

Old February 18th 05, 06:36 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

I'm not sure what your post is about if it's not critical of the Birkie
leadership for not acting already ("complaining"). Look it, my
understanding is that in normal to optimal, conditions the Birkie hauls
natural snow onto Main Street. In normal and most any but the most
extraordinary conditions, the COLL makes snow for Uptown, adding to it
from stocks of natural snow to the degree they can locate some. Unless
your opinion is that the Birkie folks are waiting too long and thus
seriously endangering the chance of a Main Street finish, I'm not seeing
your point. They seem to think that the weather looks to be on their
side whether they have to make snow or not. Yes, that is riskier than
just going ahead now, but I don't think their decision unreasonable.

Gene

Old February 18th 05, 06:43 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Here's Bill Pierce's report on skinnyski today (2/18):

Conditions: Very good to excellent skiing. The south half of the trail
from "OO" to the end of the lake at Marketplace was tilled and combed
this AM. The North half was tilled, combed, and track set on Wednesday.
Grooming will be taking place everyday in anticipation of the Great
Race.

Final preparations are underway for a full 51k American Birkebeiner. The
course is in very good to excellent shape and will only be excellent on
race day. The lake has a minimum of 24" of ice and the snow for Main
Street will be harvested on Wednesday. It's a Big Go for all events on
an excellent course.
(Bill Pierce)

Old February 18th 05, 07:03 PM
Jim Kelley

cool !!!!!!!! ..for the record - I did look at the Birkie Trail
report (both Birkie site and skinnyski) prior to me posting my initial
comments, but Pierce's latest (and more upbeat) report was not on
either. Lets spend the rest of our energy on our own Birkie prep. Good
luck everyone.