Season

Old December 30th 04, 03:34 AM
Funky Funky is offline
Junior Member

Question Season

I know this is a silly question but i used to do alot of skiing a few years ago but now ive forgotten everything So i want to know when the peak season is for good snow around europe. Id probably be heading to somewhere in France or Austria, main idea right now is Val Thorens. So what are the dates id be wanting to go between? Thanks!
Old December 30th 04, 07:53 AM
Steve Haigh

Funky wrote:

I know this is a silly question but i used to do alot of skiing a few
years ago but now ive forgotten everything So i want to know when
the peak season is for good snow around europe. Id probably be heading
to somewhere in France or Austria, main idea right now is Val Thorens.
So what are the dates id be wanting to go between? Thanks!

I don't think there is one "best time" to go. Certainly before Xmas and
late April are not as reliable as late Jan to late March, so I guess
that gives you some idea, but then again if a big strom comes along you
can have bad weather and great snow at any time. If you are flexible
then book at the last minute, if you are not then go somewhere high up
to increase your odds.

The one thing you can predict is when it is going to be busy, and to my
mind this is more important than snow conditions. Europe is busiest
during the school 1/2 terms (France seems to be the most badly affected
in my experience, it can be total chaos in places like the 3 valleys in
mid Feb). For what it's worth the UK 1/2 term is 14th-19th Feb this
year. New Year is also pretty busy, not quite as bad as 1/2 term though
(this is the big difference with Whistler, I wouldn't ski there at New
Year ever again). Easter can also be a bit busier but again is not as
bad as 1/2 term week, and if Easter is late a lot of people are put off
skiing.
Old December 30th 04, 02:48 PM
Funky Funky is offline
Junior Member

Ah brilliant and is frances half termt he same? Whens the usual highest snowfall? I must get those skiing brochures out and start planning this, i cant wait. Thanks for all your help!!
Old December 30th 04, 03:32 PM
VisionSet

"Funky" wrote in message

Ah brilliant and is frances half termt he same? Whens the usual highest
snowfall? I must get those skiing brochures out and start planning
this, i cant wait. Thanks for all your help!!

France is split in to 3 zones for school holidays, they all overlap each
other and means you can usually write off the whole of Feb if you want to
avoid French hoards, unless you enjoy kiddywink slalom and instructor wrath.
This year 5th Feb to 6th March

--
Mike W