Freeride board recommendations

Old March 6th 06, 08:30 PM

Matt wrote:
Arvin,

Did you get a chance to ride the tanker? If so, how did it compare to
the Reto Lamm

You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...ad.php?t=10145

Neil

Old March 6th 06, 10:15 PM

Yeah, I read that thread already. I'm looking for even more
comparisons. I'm greedy that way.

--Matt

Old March 13th 06, 11:24 PM

Matt wrote:
Arvin,

Did you get a chance to ride the tanker? If so, how did it compare to
the Reto Lamm

Hi Matt, I did indeed got some runs on the Tanker 172cm. It dumped
around 6 feet of snow this week, with the last foot coming the night I
drove up... It took me a few runs to dial in the stance angles and
setback that I wanted. I settled on a 24/12 angle with a 21" stance and
2-3" setback (last set of inserts all the way back - the Fish default
inserts are already 2-3" back and on that I was riding 21/9 degrees, I
normally ride 18/3 on my freeride/freestyle boards). After that the
board came alive in the deep, deep powder. It doesn't have the fat nose
and taper of the Fish, but I found it had good float... far better than
say my old Donek Phoenix 155 (I would certainly hope so given the extra
17cm it has in length). Compared to your Phoenix, the longer, damp nose
will let you cruise through bumpy, choppy snow much more easily. I
think the Tanker you got will be a great companion.

While physically it is still a long board, the carbon aramid
construction (whatever that is, I'm more concerned with actual
performance than technical jargon) makes the board feel much lighter
and somewhat shorter... it definitely is easier to swing around than a
Osin 4807 168cm, while not as light to swing around as the Phoenix 155
(I would say it feels like a 162ish board) I had not trouble doing
jumps turns with it on steep slopes and negotiating medium tightness
tree runs (i.e. if you were to stick your arms out, you could just
catch a tree with each hand - with the Fish I could hit any gap so long
as I could fit my body through it).

While it has a longer sidecut radius than the Reto, the softer flex
makes it easier handling than the Reto (definitely easier to handle in
powder and trees despite the longer lnegth). It doesn't quite have the
superior edge hold and snow-bound laser feel (where the Tanker likes to
cruise through crud, the Reto power/blasts through crud). That's not to
say that Tanker doesn't carve well, but more like a how luxury car goes
through tight mountain turns compared to a sports car. Even in the
park/pipe the Tanker was again a little long, but definitely handled
much better than it ought to give it's long length. With the Tanker I
can actually take a real run through the park and not just ride the
through to "prove" that people can ride 165+ boards in the park well.

I know recent history has says otherwise, but I really don't like
having lots of snowboards... I just accepted having a large collection
as a side effect of trying out a lot of boards to find out which ones I
really like. I definitely think the Tanker takes the award for the best
powder-capable freeride board and I'm definitely going to try and get
rid of a bunch of my other boards now (and hopefully not have the urge
to check out more boards... for at least another few years).

Old March 14th 06, 06:26 PM

lonerider wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

I took the 177w out this past saturday. I made the horrid mistake of
going
to heavenly to see if it was actually as bad as everyone says. Needless
say, I don't imagine ever going back. I spent far to much time skating
along
and completely blew out my legs by noon. This plus the rather poor
visibility
that made it impossible to see the contours of the hill lead to a
couple nasty spills. I suspect my initial impressions will change once
I get a
chance to take the board out again, but here they are for what it is
worth.

Oh one more caveat, I was riding 31/15 and about and completely
centered
on the board. I also narrowed my stance a bit, I have been riding the
Phoenix
with the widest possible stance using the the from 4 holes on the front
and the
back 4 holes in the back. I to illustrate:
Phoenix: xoo oox
Tanker: oxo oxo

So clearly I played with a lot of variables, and I wasn't smart enough
to take
a tool up on the hill with me.

All that said, the tanker floats like a champ in the powder even at
slow speeds. I think I only got stuck once and that was when I scrubbed
all my
speed by accident and went into some very flat, deep powder. It didn't
seem as
agile between the trees as the Phoenix but that could just be a comfort
thing, I
certainly didn't have any trouble turning the board. My problems were
all on the
moguled, chopped up, pistes. I felt like I was getting bounced around
a lot by the
moguls and the board didn't feel as stable as the Phoenix which feels
like it cuts
through crud better. This could have more to do with the lack of
visibility and the
narrowing of my stance than the board itself. I really need to get it
out on the groomers
when I can actually see the slope before I actually can say for sure.
Overall, I really
enjoyed the board. I am hopeful that the issues I have with the board
will be resolved
by getting my stance and angle dialed in, and I can't wait to get it up
on a big bowl so I
can really open it up a bit.

I figured I would splurge and just try the various boards I have been
looking at so I am
planning to compare this to the sasquach 170 and I will hopefully get a
chance to go up
to whistler next season and give the Priors a spin. Then I can actually
help people on this
group rather than keep asking for advise.

I will followup once I get a chance to take the Tanker out in better
conditions.

--Matt

Old March 14th 06, 07:44 PM

Matt wrote:
I took the 177w out this past saturday. I made the horrid mistake of
going to heavenly to see if it was actually as bad as everyone says. Needless
to say, I don't imagine ever going back. I spent far to much time skating
along and completely blew out my legs by noon. This plus the rather poor

Yea, I've usually refuse to go to Heavenly. Although Heavenly does have
some very nice isolated tree runs if you can get over to them.

Oh one more caveat, I was riding 31/15 and about and completely
centered on the board. I also narrowed my stance a bit, I have been riding the
Phoenix with the widest possible stance using the the from 4 holes on the front

At 6'3", I think you should have a wider stance than that. I'm 5'9" and
I used the last set of inserts (xxo xxo). With them push towards each
other to give me a 21" stance. You are 6" taller than me, which makes
me think you stance should at least be 2" wider (around shoulder width)
which would suggest something like (x0x xx0). The wider stance will let
you be more stable, also moving the bindings back will give you more
length at the front which might help absorb the bumps better.

Hopefully it will all click together when you get your stance dialed
in. It sounds like you have a good plan on boards at stuff. I would
recommend the Priors (next season check out their demo schedule as they
always do a loop through Tahoe resorts).

Old March 18th 06, 02:59 PM

Never Summer make excellent big mountain boards. Check out the Titan,
Premier and T5. I ride a Legacy and love it. This board is a rocket!

http://www.neversummer.com/boards.php

Never Summer has a dealer in Norway:
Aktiv og ung As
Tel: 47 22 605 544

Old March 20th 06, 03:21 PM

lonerider wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

I took the board out again this sunday. I went with a much wider stance
(x00 00x with the bindings pushed towards the center) and I dialed back
the angles to 27/9. I don't know if it mostly those changes or the
incredibly
improved visibility and they much more snowboard friendly slopes of
sugarbowl,
but the board road like a dream. Great float on the small amount of
powder I
found, and amazing speed and glide. I had less trouble with chatter and
getting
bounced off my edge this time as well. I still think I prefer the
agility of the Phoenix
between the trees and over moguled snow, but for steep blues and powder
the Tanker
is a champ.

--Matt