Black Toenail

Old January 25th 06, 03:59 PM

Default Black Toenail

I'm not sure what caused this; I'm torn into a few possibilities.

First, I've had the same boots for three years and they've never given
me any hint of a problem. In fact, up until last Saturday, they were
the most comfy boots I've ever owned. So, after an amazing day of
skiing, my left big toe was a little sore and half of the nail was
bruised.

Three possibilities of why:

1) I don't keep my toe down as I should in turns
2) My feet were swelled due to TOM
3) I've increased my running mileage because I plan to run a marathon
next October

Any ideas?

Martha

Old January 25th 06, 04:10 PM

Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm not sure what caused this; I'm torn into a few possibilities.

First, I've had the same boots for three years and they've never given
me any hint of a problem. In fact, up until last Saturday, they were
the most comfy boots I've ever owned. So, after an amazing day of
skiing, my left big toe was a little sore and half of the nail was
bruised.

Three possibilities of why:

1) I don't keep my toe down as I should in turns
2) My feet were swelled due to TOM
3) I've increased my running mileage because I plan to run a marathon
next October

Any ideas?

If you don't have your boots buckled corectly your foot can slide
forward and bang against the front of the boot. This happened to me in
December when I stupidly put on my boots with half of the tongue on the
outside of the shell. I skied like this for an hour or so, and kept
wondering why things didn't feel right. Eventually I corrected it, but
my toe was pretty sore for the next 48 hours.

Another possibility is a toenail that's too long, or a toenail that was
cut too short and has started to become ingrown - bang on either of
these all day and it'll wind up bruised.

//Walt
Old January 25th 06, 04:29 PM

Walt wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

[...]

WOW! Thanks! I think that might be it, that my boot isn't buckled tight
enough. I'm going to try that on my next trip. Thanks!

Martha

Old January 25th 06, 04:31 PM

"Black Metal Martha" wrote in message me any hint
of a problem. In fact, up until last Saturday, they were
the most comfy boots I've ever owned. So, after an amazing day of
skiing, my left big toe was a little sore and half of the nail was
bruised.

Three possibilities of why:

1) I don't keep my toe down as I should in turns
2) My feet were swelled due to TOM

What is it Tom does which might cause your feet to swell?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Old January 25th 06, 04:35 PM

Norm wrote:
"Black Metal Martha" wrote in message me any hint
of a problem. In fact, up until last Saturday, they were
the most comfy boots I've ever owned. So, after an amazing day of
skiing, my left big toe was a little sore and half of the nail was
bruised.

Three possibilities of why:

1) I don't keep my toe down as I should in turns
2) My feet were swelled due to TOM

What is it Tom does which might cause your feet to swell?
Inquiring minds want to know.

time of (the) month....

Martha

Old January 25th 06, 05:50 PM

Black Metal Martha wrote:
I'm not sure what caused this; I'm torn into a few possibilities.

First, I've had the same boots for three years and they've never given
me any hint of a problem. In fact, up until last Saturday, they were
the most comfy boots I've ever owned. So, after an amazing day of
skiing, my left big toe was a little sore and half of the nail was
bruised.

Three possibilities of why:

1) I don't keep my toe down as I should in turns
2) My feet were swelled due to TOM
3) I've increased my running mileage because I plan to run a marathon
next October

Any ideas?

Martha

Could you feel your toe banging against the front of the boot while you
were skiing? Was it a deep powder day that had you sitting back more
than you should? Was your toe sore during, or right after, skiing?

If yes then it was probably your ski boot.

However, if that's not the case then there is a good chance it was the
marathon prep. I used to lose a couple of toenails a year due to
marathon training. I also used to always get significant blisters on my
toes when running marathons. No problems on shorter runs of 25-30 km
but always after a full marathon. A couple of years ago I went up 1/2
size in my running shoes and that solved the problem. I've talked to a
number of people that have found the same thing.

Armin

Old January 25th 06, 06:27 PM

In article .com,
Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm not sure what caused this; I'm torn into a few possibilities.

What caused it is poor circulation. Whether cold or cramp, you didn't get
enough blood flow to the end of your toe. The good news is, by the time
your toenail falls off, new toenail growth will have progressed to the point
of protecting the end of your toe. Wear Birkenstocks out. That way you'll
have a burly war story to tell. (I've lost a lot of toenails.) (
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 25th 06, 06:28 PM

Armin wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'm going ot try buckling my boots a little tighter on my next
trip, the Sat after this one.

Nice suggestion on the running shoes too.

I knew I'd get some great answers here. : )

Martha

Old January 25th 06, 08:31 PM

Black Metal Martha wrote:

WOW! Thanks! I think that might be it, that my boot isn't buckled tight
enough. I'm going to try that on my next trip. Thanks!

Tightening your boot will help keep your heel in place but also keep
your toenails Short. No room for stylish toenails in a properly fitted boot.
Old January 25th 06, 08:43 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

WOW! Thanks! I think that might be it, that my boot isn't buckled tight
enough. I'm going to try that on my next trip. Thanks!

Tightening your boot will help keep your heel in place but also keep
your toenails Short.

Wow. I don't think I've ever managed to tighten them that much.
Stabilizing the heel is one thing, but tightening them so much that they
cut your toenails is another. Man, that's what I'd call tight.

//Walt

Atomic makes Black Diamond Skis? Flip Backcountry Skiing 1 April 5th 05 05:36 PM
Black diamond skiing Chuck Alpine Skiing (moderated) 55 February 12th 05 11:44 PM
torn toenail Fritz M Alpine Skiing 15 January 5th 05 04:19 PM
Black Mt Mayhem! --30k classic race report Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 4 March 8th 04 07:56 AM
Start Map Black and Star Yellow Uniblock Kevin Miller Nordic Skiing 5 January 13th 04 12:07 PM