Some songs for the troops.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Default Some songs for the troops.

"Dave Stallard" skrev i melding
FYI, "We Built This City" has recently won an award for worst song of all
times.

Yes, I saw that, too, very interesting..................

Old April 24th 04, 12:50 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" skrev i melding
one female Palestinian plane hijacker, I think her name is Sheila Andrawi.

Her name is Sheila Andrawes, not Andrawi, if anyone should be interested.

Old April 24th 04, 01:17 AM
bdubya

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:26:13 +0200, "Inger Skramstad Jørstad"
wrote:

"Dave Stallard" skrev i melding
FYI, "We Built This City" has recently won an award for worst song of all
times.

Yes, I saw that, too, very interesting..................

I'm not sure it's any worse than "The Final Countdown", but when a
hair-metal band calls itself "Europe", the results are pretty much
guaranteed to suck. I guess that would apply to anything with
"Starship" in the name as well.

Please tell me there's never been a metal band called "Scandinavia".
And that there never will be.

bw
Old April 24th 04, 01:57 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"bdubya" skrev i melding
I'm not sure it's any worse than "The Final Countdown", but when a
hair-metal band calls itself "Europe", the results are pretty much
guaranteed to suck. I guess that would apply to anything with
"Starship" in the name as well.

"Europe" was a Swedish band. The lead singer called himself "Joey Tempest"!
And I agree, it sucks.

Please tell me there's never been a metal band called "Scandinavia".
And that there never will be.

I am sorry that I have to disappoint you here, because there IS in fact a
band right here in Norway called "Scandinavia"! But, it is musically as far
from a metal band as you can possibly get. They play what we here call
"Scandinavian dance band music". I guess that you would more or less call it
country music in the US, or better still, country music with a touch of both
good oldfashioned rock&roll and ballroom dancing. This music also has a
touch of traditional folk music in it, and is designed for dancing country
style, again with a slight touch of ballroom. It is not my personal kind of
music at all, as I prefer more mainstream pop/rock myself. "Scandinavia" is
mostly for the middleaged and older in rural districts, while younger people
in urban areas here prefer other kinds of music. The biggest name in
"Scandinavian dance band music" is the Swedish band "Vikingarna", or "The
Vikings". They do covers of among others whats-his-name, the short, balding,
chubby one with the big cowboy hat, a major US country singer, I cannot
remember his name just now, he is a big US country star, maybe the biggest
of them all, but not at all big here. The biggest foreign country star here
at the moment is by far Canadian Shania Twain. Another thing, they
("Vikingarna", "Scandinavia", and other bands like them) never ever sing in
English, only in their own language, Swedish or Norwegian, so all lyrics are
translated, or originally written, of course. They often sing in distinct
local dialects, as well, which there are plenty of here in Scandinavia. They
do much more than covers, they also have a lot of their own material. But,
most definitely no metal, but more the total opposite, I would say.
Instruments like accordions, saxophones and keyboards are typical. Another
speciality is that all "Scandinavian dance band music" bands wear matching
suits on stage, like back in the fifties or something. Most dance band
musicians are greyhaired, balding, middleaged and slightly beerbellied, but
the "old girls" seem to love them. But, they are not for you, I suspect.
This music is VERY Scandinavian. Archetypical Scandinavian, many would say,
and equally popular in both Sweden and Norway, and to some extent in Denmark
and Finland, too.
Now I suddenly remembered the name of the short, balding and chubby one.
Garth Brooks, it is, yes, Garth Brooks. Very few here know him.

Old April 24th 04, 11:17 AM
ENORD

Well said. The Norwegians will actually be working under US command, not the
UN in Afghanistan. Though I am a third-generation European and sadly my family
hails from Inger's country, I must admit that Europe lost their warriors during
WWII. They've shown their willingness to roll and general weakness now for
years and this enemy will enjoy taking it to them. Radical Islamic
fundamentalists want Europe to sit on the sidelines and meekly do what the
fundamentalists want. All the while, these fundamentalists will be preaching
their radical Islamic views and building a larger and larger following. Then,
once again, Europe will come to us and ask for our help in dispelling the
radicals--like the crusades. Their jealousy of American power now and an
unwilingness to adequately deal with a global anti-west campaign will
unfortunately cost them many lives. Lets end this thread and talk about
skiing--something we can cross ideological differences with?
Old April 24th 04, 05:53 PM
BrritSki

ENORD wrote:

... Lets end this thread and talk about skiing

Hear hear.
Old April 25th 04, 12:34 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"ENORD" skrev i melding
Well said. The Norwegians will actually be working under US command, not

the
UN in Afghanistan. Though I am a third-generation European and sadly my

family
hails from Inger's country, I must admit that Europe lost their warriors

during
WWII. They've shown their willingness to roll and general weakness now

for
years and this enemy will enjoy taking it to them.

Under UN command was incorrect, it should have been under NATO command, my
mistake, sorry. Amd we are all of us third-generation-something-or-other. It
is heavily watered out anyway, so..........

Old April 25th 04, 05:22 AM
Richard Henry

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message

The song is all about psychological masturbation (sex with oneself is sex
with a person you really love). "I really love myself", la, la, la, la,

la,
etc. etc. Sickening.

I find the latest H2 ad pretty funny. A kid with a Hummer-styled soapbox
racer wins a race by cheating his friends (cutting cross-country insead of
following the race course) while The WHo sing "Happy Jack" in the
background.

Old April 25th 04, 02:04 PM
ENORD

Further clarification, the NATO "hat" is in charge overall, but the Norwegians
will be under operational control (OPCON) to the US Joint Task Force.
Old April 26th 04, 02:51 AM
Dave Stallard

wrote:

"Dave Stallard" skrev i melding
FYI, "We Built This City" has recently won an award for worst song of all
times.

Yes, I saw that, too, very interesting..................

I'm not sure it's any worse than "The Final Countdown", but when a
hair-metal band calls itself "Europe", the results are pretty much
guaranteed to suck. I guess that would apply to anything with
"Starship" in the name as well.

Does anybody have the complete list? Please tell me there's something
by Jilly Blowell in there, like "Uptown Girls", or "Still Rock and Roll
to Me", or even "Piano Man".

Dave