Jackson Hole Sucks

Old January 30th 04, 10:51 PM
Jeff Davis

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
I took my first Avy class from Rod. Nice guy. He never mentioned surface hoar
as being depth hoar. They're different crystals (although they can form under
similar conditions--usually there are near surface facets under the surface
hoar). Depth hoar is cupped crystals near the ground.

Since the buffonery was over the concept of sublimation of the existing
crystals being buried as we speak, I called Kanzler a minute ago. He was
Head Avalanche Forecaster at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort for 16 years
before Bob Comey took over. Sublimation occurs through out the snow pack.
klaus denigrating me for publishing that *fact* must have been a reflection
of his misserable, loney existance, eh?

Sucrosic is an adjective that describes
loose, unconsolodated crystals as appearing like sugar.

That's why they call it sugar snow. Or near surface facets, or radiational
recrystalization or depth hoar...not sucrosic.

So sucrosic, (not *sucrotic*) is acceptable english everywhere in the
educated world but here? Even you don't believe that. Correct yourself.
I'm not responsible for the errors of your ignorance.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 30th 04, 11:04 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Ted Waldron wrote:

Klaus has been called many names and things throughout the years on
this group. From what I have read of his posts, and his knowledge, "obtuse
ignorance" is not one of them. His love of the Black Diamond Pitbull
binding may have been, uh "sucrotic" IMHO, but I had my share of pointed
sticks poked at me, most of time for a very good reason or another.

Sucrosic. "Sucrotic," demonstrtates his obtuse ignorance. As does his
limited comprehension of sublimation. His attack was surprising considering
the veracity of my publication. Makes me suspect he has unresolved personal
problems.

My final word of advice, take an Avy course, and if you have done that,
take it again, or a second level Avy course. You are getting raked over the
coals because you are using the terminology incorrectly, or your avalanche
forecasting is well.... like a depth hoar layer....Weak.

I just called Ratty Kanzler, my Avy mentor. My _Avalanche_Handbook_ has
"Kanzler," written across the cover. He lent me his, and I bought him a
new one. You guys are so ****ed up, you had me wondering if *I* was
talking ****. The whole attack klaus instituted on my contention that
the loose surface hoar crystals would *not* sublime, but the weak layer
would resolve itself makes me suspect his reading comprehension. He's
obviously bigotted, jumping to a conclusion before comprehending my
statement.

My final word of advice is don't defend an obtusely ignorant bigot, klaus.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 30th 04, 11:06 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
klaus wrote:
But thanks for not poking me about leather boots. You guys are too
nice.

I'm poking you about your bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and lack of
reading comprehension. Where did you take physics?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 30th 04, 11:25 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
klaus wrote:

(Notice no mention of the mechanism you contend, buried surface hoar)

I published a statement that I didn't think the buried surface hoar
crystals would sublime. Kanzler just told me on the phone that that
mechanism of action is transforming the snow pack continiously. I was
on solid ground. Then you got into this denigration thing...

Note, depth hoar IS NOT BURIED SURFACE HOAR, although according to
Bruce Tremper, that mistaken nomenclature is made by old, rural
geezers. Is that you???

I brought up the mechanism of sublimation of the buried surface hoar
crystals, which you vehemently refuted. The depth hoar discussion
came later, driven, it seems, by your mistaken beliefs you didn't
check before you started typing. I'll see if any other authors
consider hoar snow buried in the snow pack depth hoar before I
concede any points to you on *that* mater.

They have their place,[pits] but there are other things that are more
important to backcountry travel safety. When you get out enough and
watch the snow on a daily basis, the pit doesn't tell you a whole lot
you don't already know, especially when you have such a great resource
as the forecast center. I dig plenty of pits when I need to or if it's
a day when the forecast center needs the info. But usually, I just
know where things are going to be safe and go there. If it's
questionable, I usually avoid it. I get out enough that I don't have
to put myself in dangerous situations that I don't already know about
when I walk out the door. That's how you stay alive. You may want to
try it.

Here's an entire paragraph I agree with, I don't need convinced to try it.

Be careful out there, eh? It's more important than having fun.

You too. I'm sticking to trade routes. Granite slid yesterday and
buried some guy with the exception of his hand. His buddies dug him
out. That's a north aspect, you may already know. There's some stuff
I'm waiting for, maybe next week, maybe a little longer, depending on
what I see. 23, 46, what's the difference? A discourse like we just
had steels us both. I wrote some snide stuff before I read this. Thanks
for moving me toward calling Ratty. It's a good time for he and I to get
together.

And I enjoy knocking heads with you. Next time I won't get personal and
stick to the issues.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 30th 04, 11:27 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
Signed: Certified Old Geezer
(hould that be "certifiable?")

I don't even mind old, fat, cripple. Certified Old Geezer is a step up.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 31st 04, 12:30 AM
Richard Henry

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
.. .

So sucrosic, (not *sucrotic*) is acceptable english everywhere in the
educated world but here?

I dug my big footrest dictionary out from under the desk. No entry for
sucrosic. Dictionary.com asks "Do you mean sucrose?"

So I googled on "definition sucrosic". Google asks "Do you mean sucrose?"
followed by several geological websites containing the word. As for the
educated world, it seems to be a term commonly used by geologists.

Old January 31st 04, 01:23 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
I'm poking you about your bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and lack of
reading comprehension. Where did you take physics?

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. You?

-klaus

Old January 31st 04, 01:24 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
Remember, I'm just a Jackson Hole skid.

'Zactly

-klaus

Old January 31st 04, 02:05 AM
Walt

klaus wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:

I'm poking you about your bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and lack of
reading comprehension. Where did you take physics?

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. You?

I take physics everywhre I go. Gravity (and the other fundamental
forces) kinda follow me around. Csn't seem to shake 'em no matter how
hard I try.

--
// Walt
//

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM