Inauspicious start to the new season

Old December 7th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Inauspicious start to the new season

The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

Old December 7th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Richard Henry wrote:

The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

A little duct tape over the repair might not hurt.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the
Old December 7th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:19:15 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

They make a repair kit for that. It's called, "duct tape."

Merry Christmas and vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old December 7th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"Richard Henry" wrote in message
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

You are going to love some of the new boots available. Salomon Verse if you
like comfy soft fit...

Put away the glue..

Old December 7th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Richard Henry wrote:
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

You, of course, have been expecting this event and long ago picked up a
pair of identical boots from a garage sale, right?

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

Forget that - just superglue your feet to the skis ...
Old December 7th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 7, 8:54*am, lal_truckee wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. *Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

You, of course, have been expecting this event and long ago picked up a
pair of identical boots from a garage sale, right?

My son told me I need new boots. *I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

Forget that - just superglue your feet to the skis ...

My previous pair of boots (Trappeur Killys) broke on the last day of
skiing on a trip to Lake Tahoe. The tongue broke completely away from
the rest of the boot. I dodn't know it until I took the boot off.

Yesterday my son and I were riding up a lift at Bear Mt. and he said
to me "You boot is cracked." I had put the boots on loosely after we
had driven over from Snow Summit to take advantage of the one-ticket-
two-mountains deal. When I got to the top of the lift, I sat on the
snowboarder bench to tighten up the boots and i saw little chunks
falling out of the crack.

The left boot has a half-inch gap right below the bottom latch and a
few radiating cracks. The right boot has a copule of cracks in the
same area.

The cracks and holes didn't seem to affect my skiing much (except I
was spending too much time looking at it thus feeling awkward).
Old December 7th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 7, 5:34*am, The Real Bev wrote:

A little duct tape over the repair might not hurt.

Helicopter-tape should be better?
Old December 7th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Gonar the Incontinent

On Dec 6, 8:19*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. *Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. *I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

Your son is correct. Technica's of this vintage tended to crack due to
an issue with the plastic formulation.

On one pair I saw, the sole broke off the bottom of the boot, leaving
it in the ski binding. That was awkward, to say the least.

Nothing lasts forever. Only a fool clings to the past. Go buy boots.
Old December 7th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Stuart wrote:
"Richard Henry" wrote in message
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

You are going to love some of the new boots available. Salomon Verse if you
like comfy soft fit...

Put away the glue..

oh, c'mon.

Who can read this newsgroup without ready access to glue?

//Walt
Old December 7th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Gonar the Incontinent wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:19 pm, Richard Henry wrote:
The toe of my 18(?)-year-old Tecnica boots cracked open today. Not
the part that mates with the binding, but the top shell above the
toes.

My son told me I need new boots. I told him I could use superglue and
epoxy to fix it.

Your son is correct. Technica's of this vintage tended to crack due to
an issue with the plastic formulation.

I thought it was Nordica that had the "exploding Nordicas" problem. Or
maybe the onset was just earlier with that brand.

Anyway, the fact that the plastic cracked suggests that it's lost it's
structural integrity; you don't know what part of the boot will crack
next, but you should expect more failures. I'd prefer not to have that
in the back of my mind when cranking a turn at speed. YMMV.

//Walt