Replacement Tires/Tubes for V2 Aero 125s

Old June 25th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

Default Replacement Tires/Tubes for V2 Aero 125s

After a couple summers of relatively high mileage, I think I need to
change my V2 Aero 125 tires; they're almost bald. I'd also like to get
some spare tubes. Looking online, though, the prices through various
ski shops seem high, and I think I recall someone (Jan?) saying he
bought the same tires/tubes through a cheaper outlet. Has anyone
bought rollerski tires, tubes, or other wheel components through a
wholesaler, a wheelchair-parts vendor, etc? Any tips?

Thank you.

Old June 25th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Will your skis fit 150mm wheels without raising them? I mean, specific axle
holes placed higher up. My frames do have 125mm mounting holes, I think.
Kick Scooter wheels that seems of similar quality are to be had pretty
cheap. I did notice the V2 150mm wheels are wider than the typical 150mm
wheels out there. A matter of some spacers, I suppose.
6x1-1/4" is what 150mm is called.

The 125mm size seems something V2 came up with for themselves. Perhaps to
fight the low-price competition, in hopes to set a new standard where their
offering is the top one? That theory just popped into my head, sorry.

"tassava" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old June 25th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

tassava wrote:

After a couple summers of relatively high mileage, I think I need to
change my V2 Aero 125 tires; they're almost bald. I'd also like to get
some spare tubes. Looking online, though, the prices through various
ski shops seem high, and I think I recall someone (Jan?) saying he
bought the same tires/tubes through a cheaper outlet. Has anyone
bought rollerski tires, tubes, or other wheel components through a
wholesaler, a wheelchair-parts vendor, etc? Any tips?

Thank you.

Probably stick with V2 tires. Tubes can be had at medical supply stores
that handle wheel chairs, but look at the valve direction (options).

Old June 25th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jerry M. Wright

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:09:28 -0000, tassava
wrote:

After a couple summers of relatively high mileage, I think I need to
change my V2 Aero 125 tires; they're almost bald. I'd also like to get
some spare tubes. Looking online, though, the prices through various
ski shops seem high, and I think I recall someone (Jan?) saying he
bought the same tires/tubes through a cheaper outlet. Has anyone
bought rollerski tires, tubes, or other wheel components through a
wholesaler, a wheelchair-parts vendor, etc? Any tips?

Thank you.

I bought replacement tires and tubes at a medical supply house for an
early model of the V2 aero (I think they were 150 - that was about 13
years ago). The replacements were cheaper and held up much better
than the factory supplied tires. I moved to a place where I could use
the hard wheel rollerskis and donated the aeros to a HS team some time
ago.

Old June 26th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jerry M. Wright

They may not have been called aeros at that time but they were the V2
pneumatic tire when they first came out. There was a problem with the
ratchet action for kick in the first batch and I had to get that
replaced under warranty. It could not have been earlier than 92 and
no later than 94.

Old June 26th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jerry M. Wright

Default Replacement Tires/Tubes for V2 Aero 125s - correction

I just located a couple of old postings of mine. I bought both V2 and
Elpex at about the same time. The pneumatic was Elpex and I bought it
in late 94 or early 95.

Old June 26th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

For history's sake...

Jerry, memories are tricky and I have to believe models have
become mixed together (or could Len Johnson have briefly played with
something early on?). I think there was a somewhat bigger wheeled
off-road 'Smirnov model' of the V800 series (830?) sometime around 1996
and also the NordiXC in 1997 (I tried them out). However, the Aeros
first shipped late October 1999. There are two ways to check this: 1)
do an advanced search at google groups on rsn inclusive of 1990 to
1999; 2) look at the Jenex site's news archives. At the latter, here's
the first direct mention of these skis (the first use of "Aero" is in
Sept):

July 17, 1999: NEW SKATE ROLLER SKI: The new pneumatic skate ski to be
introduced this fall took everybody at the camp with surprise. Stable,
smooth and very good on both dirt roads and asphalt, this ski comes
with very strong six ply tires that can be inflated to 80 PSI. Despite
the big 150mm wheels it's surprisingly light and skates like no other
roller ski. This might be the closest thing to snow we have ever
developed. Zach Caldwell and many others wanted to keep the ski for
more testing and by now some dozen good skiers have put many K's on it.
We built another prototype with a superb ATRA, in fact better speed
control than anything we have introduced previously and this device is
also protected by our original patents. The latest model we built is
some 120 grams lighter than the "ZACH" ski. The production version will
be on a low fat diet and should weigh in some 200 grams less than the
first test mule. Those who have tested the ski and those who heard from
other skiers how good this new ski was ordered over thirty skis in less
than a week. We don't even know what the price will be, but we told
customers we hoped less than $290.00 .

I have a vague memory Len discussed development of the Aero in the
site's Roller Ski section prior to this (e.g., the first NordiXC
mention in the News section is early 1999, but they were out and being
discussed on rsn by July 1997).

rm