High Peaks Questions

Old June 25th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Default High Peaks Questions

My wife will be working on the medical team for the Lake Placid
Ironman. We'll be there for a few days leading up to the event and
I'll be spending the time looking after my little boy (15 months). I
have a few questions for anyone in the know.

1. We frequently run with an all terrain Chariot brand stroller.
Would the trail to Marcy Dam be suitable for stroller running?

2. Will also have a "baby backpack", can anyone recommend hikes in
the area? Ideally, the hikes will have some suitable rest stops for
the little one to snack and run around without falling off the top of
a mountain.

3. We're staying in a hotel in Saranac Lake, where's best for food
and beer with little one in tow?

4. Any other suggestions of things to do?

Thanks.

Old June 26th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jun 25, 10:07 am, SkiFit wrote:

Would the trail to Marcy Dam be suitable for stroller running?

I think a better choice might be the service road out to the dam.
Take a left at the last turn before the ADK parking lot (before you
start down the hill), go about 1/2 mile (I think) and run down the
truck trail to the dam. I'd also run the Jackrabbitt Trail.

can anyone recommend hikes in the area?
snack and run around without falling off the top of a mountain.

I'd suggest Mt. Baker in SL, on the backside of Moody Pond. There is
another hike which starts a few hundred yards down the road, but the
name escapes me right now. Ckeck out McKenzie Mtn. in Ray Brook, just
past the golf course. A more challenging hike would be Ampersand, off
Rte. 3 heading towards Tupper Lake; you can swim across the road when
you get back. Ampersand is a bald summit w/ great views and is kid-
friendly.

staying in a hotel in Saranac Lake, where's best for food and beer

Little Italy by the bandshell. There are concerts Thursday nite at
Berkley Green (2 blocks away) and Friday nites at the bandshell.

Any other suggestions of things to do?

Rent a canoe / kayak from ADK Lakes & Trails, have them drop you off
at Second Pond and paddle back to the tennis courts in SL - figure 2
hrs. They pick up the boat right there and you walk down to Mtn. Mist
and have ice cream!

- Bob

Old June 26th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Thanks Bob,

That should keep us busy.

Old June 27th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

This is my favorite place to rent a canoe.

http://www.raquetteriveroutfitters.com/

The have light kevlar canoes, and they will drop your car whereever
you tell them. Raquette river to Tupper Lake (?) is a great ~5 hr trip