Summer Solstice

Old June 21st 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected][_2_]

Default Summer Solstice

The days are getting shorter. Think snow!

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, California

Old June 21st 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Timo Salmi

wrote:
The days are getting shorter.

Yes, but the thermal midsummer is still almost a month away.

Think snow!

But approaching, of course.

All the best, Timo

--
Prof. Timo Salmi ftp &
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
Old June 22nd 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
JJ[_2_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
The days are getting shorter. Think snow!

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, California

I always have visions of mad (drunk?) Norwegians, out in the woods, dancing
around bonfires, celebrating the Solstice.

-JJ
Denver, CO

Old June 22nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, wrote:

The days are getting shorter. Think snow!

Happy Midsommar/St Hans!

In Sweden, midsummer-eve (midsommarafton) is now celebrated on the
Friday before Jun 24. One of the popular symbols of midsommarafton is the
"Maj-stång/Midsommarstång", photo:
http://www.dermott.ca/nord2002/fotos/majst.jpg

Aprropriate music, "Midsommarvaka"
by Hugo Alfven.

In Norway (and Denmark) midsummer-eve is still celebrated on St Hans
eve (St John's eve, Jun 23). I don't think it is an official public
holiday. One of the main symbols is the "bål" (bonfire).

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
Photos of Midsommmar in Norden:

Old July 2nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Ooops, this is what I tried to send

I always have visions of mad (drunk?) Norwegians, out in the woods, dancing
around bonfires, celebrating the Solstice.

Well I've just experienced this, or a form of this madness.
We've just done the Hurtigruten cruise from North Cape to Trondheim
and on the night of 23/24 the ships captain
held a wild party on the top open deck saying it was Midsummer Night
but we'd spent the shortest night in full
daylight at Tromso.
There was wild dancing, well waltzing, but no bonfires and there was
compulsory food, a norwegian porridge with slices of ham and optional
cinnamon, but no drunks, alcohol was far too expensive for tourists.

North Cape being the most northerly point in Europe and well North of
the Arctic Circle we were worried about the
bitterly cold wind coming off the sea and had packed appropriate
thermal clothing. Arriving at 7am for breakfast I was photographed at
the famous monument wearing tee shirt, cotton pants and sandals, there
was no visible snow and it was pleasantly warm.

Old July 3rd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

I always have visions of mad (drunk?) Norwegians, out in the woods, dancing
around bonfires, celebrating the Solstice.

I have spent the last 6 years near or on the Solstice on the Alaska N slope.
Last year I saw my first real Solstice party/bon fire. For costuming I
stuck all the various plant species I was yanking for botanist friends:
Betula, Ledum, etc. and came as plants from the weeded past.
Past years I recall there was a transvestal come as you were party and a
lot of women came to me for guy stuff just before I left our field camp
(like to be repair man, so a belt which I would be willing to leave).
I have no idea what the various guys did.

In article . com,
wrote:
Well I've just experienced this, or a form of this madness.
We've just done the Hurtigruten cruise from North Cape to Trondheim

Yeah, I'm looking to take that next next fall.
but I'm going for the off season for the aurora and
fewer tourists.
and on the night of 23/24 the ships captain
held a wild party on the top open deck saying it was Midsummer Night
but we'd spent the shortest night in full
daylight at Tromso.
There was wild dancing, well waltzing, but no bonfires and there was
compulsory food, a norwegian porridge with slices of ham and optional
cinnamon, but no drunks, alcohol was far too expensive for tourists.

North Cape being the most northerly point in Europe and well North of
the Arctic Circle we were worried about the
bitterly cold wind coming off the sea and had packed appropriate
thermal clothing. Arriving at 7am for breakfast I was photographed at
the famous monument wearing tee shirt, cotton pants and sandals, there
was no visible snow and it was pleasantly warm.

Going for Kirkenes.

Jump into the Arctic and get a polar bear club shirt.