Back ...

Old August 30th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Default Back ...

Africa was again great - saw the wildebeest migration crossing the Mara
river in the Masai Mara. And of course the overfed crocs and vultures.
Not that much different from negotiating r.s.a n a bad day.

Good to be back - now I've got to get all the cars ready for winter,
and do all the chores around the snow-mansion, and I'll be ready for the
season.

Time for an early wake-up for Ullr -

Ullr bless us with a whole winter like last March. Please.
If that seems to greedy, I'll settle for a March like last March...
(Brewed libations will be left in the usual location for you and Skadi...)

Old September 2nd 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Africa was again great - saw the wildebeest migration crossing the Mara
river in the Masai Mara. And of course the overfed crocs and vultures.
Not that much different from negotiating r.s.a n a bad day.

Good to be back - now I've got to get all the cars ready for winter,
and do all the chores around the snow-mansion, and I'll be ready for the
season.

Time for an early wake-up for Ullr -

Ullr bless us with a whole winter like last March. Please.
If that seems to greedy, I'll settle for a March like last March...
(Brewed libations will be left in the usual location for you and Skadi...)

Good to hear from you. I'll probably be in your neighborhood
after Christmas at some point. Nothing firm yet.

Care to give a more detailed TR from Africa?

As for me, we just got back from coastal Maine where the only
significant event was overseeing the sacrifice of several
American Lobsters. Good too.

Yes, I'll check the usual locations when I get out there.
BTW the Dalbello boots are (were in April) still working
very well.

Could we have a small snow dance and libations to the
eastern relatives of Ullr and Skadi, please? It's just been
so bad for the past few years. We need our turn.

VtSkier

Old September 5th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

Care to give a more detailed TR from Africa?

Tidbits:

There really is snow on Mt Kenya & Mt Kilimanjaro. Unable to test the
skiing, however.

Danced with Masai. They can jump higher than I can. I expected as much,
but joined in anyway.

When you're in a gamewatcher Land Rover parked in the middle of a pride
of lions while drinking local Tusker beer, climbing up on the roof is
the safest way to take a leak, if you don't fall off.

Animals kill and eat each other. Big cats get all bloody right up past
their shoulders. Lion kittens like to crawl completely inside a carcass.

If you come across an orphaned Black Rhino adolescent, you can get him
to lie down and sleep by stroking his hind leg. Or maybe that only works
for the ranger assigned to guard the orphaned rhino from poachers and
lions? I'm not sure. Next time I'll try it myself.

Puff Adders are big snakes; and seem enormous when found crawling around
your tent.

Martial Eagles catch and eat Egyptian Goose chicks. They pluck the
feathers first, then tear out chunks of flesh to gulp. It seems to hurt
the still living chicks.

Hyena eat the guts out of gnu without bothering to kill the gnu first.
20+ hyena piled on a gnu carcass looks like a Rugby Scrum from hell.

Crocodiles can only eat a finite amount of gnu and zebra at the river
crossing; then they fall asleep.

Leopards are pretty dam good looking cats.

Individual cheetah go after Impala size meals; but three cheetah working
together can take down an Eland. They do kill before dining - a
refreshing change of pace.

Old September 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Ah, yes, nature, tooth and claw.

Good thing you're not squeamish. How did the wife react to
the same stimuli?

On another note, We'll probably be in S. Lake Tahoe from
around the first of January to the sixth. I am bringing
boots and skis. May even get a few days in Cascade Concrete
before we get to the wonderful land of Sierra Cement.

More later.
RW

Old September 6th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Care to give a more detailed TR from Africa?

Tidbits:

Good thing you're not squeamish. How did the wife react to
the same stimuli?

The women were somewhat distressed by the hyena kill in particular,
feeling akin to the large mammal being eaten alive a scant 50 ft away.
Luckily sundowner drink makings were available in the land rover to
distract them while the menfolk studied the events in detail, feeling
all hemingwayish...

On the other hand the wife thought having a village of Masai warriors in
full regalia dance up to her in the dark and deliver a surprise birthday
cake was the cat's meow. (Didn't get a chance to try the Masai staple
(cow's blood and milk) however; maybe next time.)

I should be around for a schuss or ten in January.

Old September 9th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
bdubya

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:28:27 -0400, lal_truckee
wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
If you come across an orphaned Black Rhino adolescent, you can get him
to lie down and sleep by stroking his hind leg. Or maybe that only works
for the ranger assigned to guard the orphaned rhino from poachers and
lions? I'm not sure. Next time I'll try it myself.

Just be DAMN sure it's an orphan.

bw

Old September 10th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
If you come across an orphaned Black Rhino adolescent, you can get him
to lie down and sleep by stroking his hind leg. Or maybe that only works
for the ranger assigned to guard the orphaned rhino from poachers and
lions? I'm not sure. Next time I'll try it myself.

Just be DAMN sure it's an orphan.

bw

Actually LAL wrote this since HE was the one on safari
in Africa, not me. I'm just building and addition to
my house this summer.

Old September 11th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
bdubya

wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
If you come across an orphaned Black Rhino adolescent, you can get him
to lie down and sleep by stroking his hind leg. Or maybe that only works
for the ranger assigned to guard the orphaned rhino from poachers and
lions? I'm not sure. Next time I'll try it myself.

Just be DAMN sure it's an orphan.

bw

Actually LAL wrote this since HE was the one on safari
in Africa, not me. I'm just building and addition to
my house this summer.

I knew that (about LAL, not you). Sloppy trimming on my part - sorry.

bw