Cervinia - thoughts and opinions?

Old October 17th 05, 12:52 PM
davidfrench27 davidfrench27 is offline
Junior Member

Default Cervinia - thoughts and opinions?

I'm currently in the process organising a cheeky weekend away pre-Xmas - given that it is probably best to go as high as possible and also due to the availability of cheap flights / closeness to an airport, Cervinia has popped onto the radar.

Just wondering if anyone has been there, what is the skiing like, any recommendations of good places to stay etc?

The other option is to go somewhere near Geneva, although Chamonix is probably too low to guarantee snow at that time of year.....??

Cheers!!
Old October 17th 05, 05:04 PM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:52:44 +0100, davidfrench27
squeezed out the following:

I'm currently in the process organising a cheeky weekend away pre-Xmas -
given that it is probably best to go as high as possible and also due to
the availability of cheap flights / closeness to an airport, Cervinia
has popped onto the radar.

Just wondering if anyone has been there, what is the skiing like, any
recommendations of good places to stay etc?

Been there a couple of times. Skiing is easy. The Edelweiss is nice
and friendly.

--
Colin Irvine
Old October 18th 05, 10:04 AM
geraint

sgwennodd "davidfrench27" mewn neges

I'm currently in the process organising a cheeky weekend away pre-Xmas -
given that it is probably best to go as high as possible and also due to
the availability of cheap flights / closeness to an airport, Cervinia
has popped onto the radar.

Just wondering if anyone has been there, what is the skiing like, any
recommendations of good places to stay etc?

The skiing's open, wide, easy reds on the whole- and whilst it is linked to
Zermatt, it's linked to the Klein Matterhorn side which isn't the most
testing area.Getting to the main Zermatt area is a bit of hassle (ski down,
bus to other set of lifts), but is do-able in a day. The scenery is
spectacular though. The area towards Valtourneche is pleasant - it has slow
drags/chairs, but has a couple of good mountain huts, and if the run down to
Valtourneche itself is open, then it's pretty long too. The town itself
wouldn't win too many beauty contests, but there are plenty of decent
restaurants, a superb cafe/cake shop. "El subito postino" served the best
tomato and mozzarella pizza I've ever had - simple, cheap and superb!

I'd go there again - but not if I was after difficult skiing. It's pretty
relaxed (well - it is in Italy!) unpretentious (particuarly in contrast to
Zermatt),
and not particularly expensive either.

hwyl!
geraint.

Old October 24th 05, 03:55 PM
Steve Pardoe

"davidfrench27" wrote in message

I'm currently in the process organising a cheeky weekend away pre-Xmas -
given that it is probably best to go as high as possible and also due to
the availability of cheap flights / closeness to an airport, Cervinia
has popped onto the radar.

Just wondering if anyone has been there, what is the skiing like, any
recommendations of good places to stay etc?

Been there a couple of times as beginners / poor intermediates. Flattering
pistes (a Cervinia red could easily be blue in France) and good
infrastructure. We've stayed at the Sertorelli Hotel, half-board, and the
food was excellent. It's a bit of a hike to the lifts, but the hotel has a
courtesy minibus and does its own ski rental if you want it, plus they have
a jaccuzzi (sp?) and sauna. I think we've used both Crystal and Inghams to
get there. Transfer time from Turin airport was tolerable enough (actually
very scenic, up the Aosta valley).

As reported in this thread, Cervinia is a pleasant resort, and (being old
and not having improved our skiing much) we may very well be back this
season after trying some others.

HTH,
Steve P