XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

Old October 28th 03, 04:41 PM
Gary S.

Default XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:56:39 CST, Kurt
wrote:

In article , Vladimir Capka says...

I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes it's
the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My question
is:

Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?

Think small, think remote. Christmas/New Years will be some of the busiest
times of the year at the resorts. Don't even think about any place that you've
heard advertise. Big Sky might not be too crowded, but it will be much busier
than two weeks after New Years. 'Ever heard of Powder Mountain, Monarch or Wolf
Creek? Winter Park is a zoo over the holidays. You'd have fewer people at
Loveland or A-Basin.

I have always thought that the worst day of the year to go skiing at a
major area is December 26.

The snow cover is skimpier, the slopes are filled with people out for
the first time of the season, out of skiing condition, with brand new
gear they got the day before, etc.

I agree with the suggestions to go to a more remote area, and would
suggest avoiding the areas with the big nightlife.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old October 28th 03, 05:18 PM
lal_truckee

Gary S. wrote:

The snow cover is skimpier, the slopes are filled with people out for
the first time of the season, out of skiing condition, with brand new
gear they got the day before, etc.

I think that used to be trueer than recently. Apparently people are much
more disorganized, since the last decade or so I've noticed that few
people can get going before the New Year; and those that can rouse
themselves dribble to the slopes around 10:30-11 am and are easily
avoided. Around Tahoe area I wouldn't sweat it - the holiday rush is
more in the minds of resort management than on the slopes. YMMV.