Les Arcs in April

Old December 15th 05, 06:08 PM

Default Les Arcs in April

I'm considering going to Les Arcs on 15th April 2006 and was looking for
some guidance as to what the snow coverage may be in an average year at this
time of year.

I've looked at the historical snow reports for the last 4 years and they
show a good depth of snow on the lower and higher slopes but would
appreciate some real experience.

Thanks in advance.
S.T.

Old December 16th 05, 10:05 AM

Simon Tudor wrote:
I'm considering going to Les Arcs on 15th April 2006 and was looking for
some guidance as to what the snow coverage may be in an average year at this
time of year.

I've looked at the historical snow reports for the last 4 years and they
show a good depth of snow on the lower and higher slopes but would
appreciate some real experience.

Thanks in advance.
S.T.

The conditions at that time of year are very unpredictable and there is
really not much point about talking about average at that time of year.
I have skied Les Arcs in April when you had to take a chair lift down
from the middle of the mountain and they were putting the nets out on
the tennis courts (always a bad sign), but later in the same week it
snowed so heavily that it took hours to dig the lifts out and we had
fantastic powder skiing. If I had to guess what conditions you could
expect, my best guesses would be:

Quite a lot of snow about, but big bare patches at the bottom.
Possibly very soft in the afternoon with the possibility of very deep
(over 10cm deep and possibly up to knee deep) puddles.
Possibly very firm in the morning, make sure your fillings are well
attached to your teeth and the ski edges really sharp. You may need to
edge and wax your skis every night. In my experience it is not usually
cold enough for genuine ice to form.
Possibly fresh snow, but it may melt quickly. Be prepared to get out
first thing in the morning.
Long light evenings for strolls in the woods or a trip down to Bourg.
Take your walking boots with you.
Good bargains in the equipment shops.
Fierce sun, so take lots of sun block.

These comments really apply to most high ski resorts for this time of
year. The choice of Les Arcs is no different from choosing any other
resort from the snow reliability point of view. You may be unlucky and
have a bad year, you may be lucky and it could be brilliant.

I will also be in Les Arcs that week looking forward to a good time and
accepting the snow for what it is.

John
Old January 6th 06, 04:35 PM

In message
"pg" wrote:

[snip]
I've had some fantastic skiing into May previously at Les Arcs, but there
are no guarantees. Otherwise John sums it up well. I'm here all year round
(webcam updated daily he http://mysnowsports.com/cam.) You would be very
unlucky indeed to not have some decent skiing.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

The picture on the webcam looks good and I'm on my way to find out,
literally (I hit the road in an hours time)! I'm in Les Arc all next
week, it'll be my first visit to this resort so I'm looking forward to
exploring a new area.

The plan for this trip is the early season practice with my downhill
boots and skis, with some off-piste if the conditions are right.

Mike http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/cccc/hauteroute/
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,