Grooming Question

Old March 18th 04, 03:46 PM
32 degrees

Default Grooming Question

WEll, its a long story...
You are supposed to be a member or with a member to use their
amenities. But, since nobody cares about CC skiing there is nobody
around to check on people. So, any skiers in our area who want to
skate (about all 5 of us) just hop on the trails and go. They only
groom once a week (usually Thursday for the weekend crowd) but it
lasts for a while unless we get heavy snow. And, yes, I agree, they
are AWESOME trails.

We have some people who try to classic ski on these skating trails and
that is fine... it does not hurt the trail at all.

Happy skiing !
JK

That is an absolutely fabulous place, JK. Do you have to belong to it to use
the nordic trails? My buddy up there said I could go with him whenever I
want, but I was just wondering if it's open for anyone to use those trails?
I'm guessing not.

June

"32 degrees" wrote in message
yup, that's how they do it...
We get 20 inches of powder and they pack it rock solid for skating...

yeeee
haaa
JK

"John Roden" wrote in message
om...
Looks like that was a downhill area and they took the big groomer out
on the nordic trails. They work pretty much the same, a tiller and a
squasher, sort of like a zamboni machine for the snow.

"Diva" wrote in message

Most XC trails I have skied on so far are two tracks. Last weekend a

friend
and I were guests at a private ski resort near Gaylord, MI and the XC

trails
were groomed differently. They were about 8 feet across and had no

tracks
(or deep grooves) in them at all. Rather, they looked as if someone

had
dragged a piece of corrugated siding across them. They were wonderful,
powdery and enabled me to actually snowplow to a stop, something I

find
almost impossible to do when skiing in prepared tracks.

Why are trails groomed in tracks? Or why weren't these? Are there

different
grooming methods for different styles of skiing? I could see a

herringbone
pattern on the snow in front of us as we skied, as if someone was

maybe
skate-skiing there before us (maybe?). I liked those wide, track-less
trails.

June

Old March 18th 04, 07:45 PM
Diva

Heeeeee HEEEEE!!!! That's GREAT, JK. There wasn't a soul around there at all
while we were there. I wondered why you couldn't just do that. Where do you
park? Being with one of the members, we had to go by a gate house. Can you
just park on a road and jump over there? Even though my friend said I could
go anytime, I'm just thinking, say I'm up there sometime, and he's not
around and I just feel like zooming for awhile? I'd like to do just that.
Those are great trails. Some of the hills were pretty steep (for me) but
they gave me a nice adrenaline rush, and the snow was so nice and powdery.

Have you gone to Aspen Woods Park and skied at night? That impressed me,
too. The lighted trails are really nice, and the woods are beautiful.

June

om...

Old March 19th 04, 02:31 PM
32 degrees

Oh yes, the Otsego Club trails are great.
Usually you can just drive in... if not we park on the west side of the club
off of Hayes road.
And, yes, I do ski Aspen Park too - nearly every day I could this winter.
Not many trails but it is groomed perfectly all the time. NIght skiing
there is fun too... very well lit.

gaylord has great skiing !

JK

Old March 19th 04, 09:19 PM
Diva

Yes, it sure does. It's quite nice up there.

June

"32 degrees" wrote in message
Oh yes, the Otsego Club trails are great.
Usually you can just drive in... if not we park on the west side of the

club
off of Hayes road.
And, yes, I do ski Aspen Park too - nearly every day I could this winter.
Not many trails but it is groomed perfectly all the time. NIght skiing
there is fun too... very well lit.

gaylord has great skiing !

JK

Dumb seasonal question - any advice? Tom Snowboarding 3 March 23rd 04 07:49 PM
Intro and question Ken Campbell Snowboarding 6 January 30th 04 06:53 PM
ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 09:25 PM
A question about buses to Madonna di Campiglio Usenet user European Ski Resorts 0 January 5th 04 08:25 PM
Rosie's Run first grooming..Paw Paw MI birkebeiner Nordic Skiing 7 November 27th 03 09:52 AM