Skiing vs. Riding

Old January 14th 04, 01:05 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Default Skiing vs. Riding

Proof that anything deeper than 3" is wasted on boarders:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...4/SkiBoard.jpg

(Canada last week)

Mike... 8J

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Old January 14th 04, 02:08 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:05:40 CST, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
wrote:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...4/SkiBoard.jpg

Looking good!

-Astro

Old January 17th 04, 09:25 PM
SkaredShtles

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in news:BC29EF80-B648@
205.187.179.222:

Proof that anything deeper than 3" is wasted on boarders:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...4/SkiBoard.jpg

And those are even FAT skis, ain't they??

-T.O.M.-

Lookin' forward to Silverton and getting DEEP in it.............

Old January 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

SkaredShtles wrote:

And those are even FAT skis, ain't they??

Yup! Fat ski face shots for two days. "Thigh deep smoke" as our guide
termed it. (Still sorting pics and working on the trip report).

Lookin' forward to Silverton and getting DEEP in it.............

ditto^2

Mike...

Old January 24th 04, 09:14 PM
lal_truckee

Baka Dasai wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:05:40 CST, Let Mikey Ski It! said (and I quote):

Proof that anything deeper than 3" is wasted on boarders:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...4/SkiBoard.jpg

(Canada last week)

It seems you've never ridden a board in powder. I have, and they're
a much better tool for the job than skis. Depth greater than 3"
definitely isn't wasted.

Some of us don't need training wheels ...

Old January 25th 04, 10:02 PM
SkaredShtles

Baka Dasai wrote in
news:slrnc14cie.8e4.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:05:40 CST, Let Mikey Ski It! said (and I quote):
Proof that anything deeper than 3" is wasted on boarders:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...4/SkiBoard.jpg

(Canada last week)

It seems you've never ridden a board in powder. I have, and they're
a much better tool for the job than skis. Depth greater than 3"
definitely isn't wasted. I've ridden in powder that was deep enough
to make seeing anything almost impossible.

This is the video I like to reference when the boarding vs. skiing in
powder topic comes up:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

Who would you rather be? I can tell you without reservation who *I* would
rather be...........

For me powder is more about being *in* than being *on*

-T.O.M.-

Old January 28th 04, 03:18 PM
Chuck

SkaredShtles wrote in
7.132:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

One could argue that the boarder didn't need special equipment to ride on
the powder though. The same board works anywhere on the mountain. I've
tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old January 28th 04, 03:42 PM
lal_truckee

Chuck wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote in
7.132:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

One could argue that the boarder didn't need special equipment to ride on
the powder though. The same board works anywhere on the mountain. I've
tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

Actually, the same board doesn't work everywhere on the mountain as you,
if you have carving skis, know. For the hardpack carving regime the
boarder would need a carving board and hardboots which wouldn't be worth
much in the powder. We will leave it as an excercise whether this "same
board" is actually working in the powder shots of the video (you can
surmise my opinion.)

P.S. Generally I do use my GS skis in both powder and hardpack - no
sweat, although in these conditions I'd be tempted to pull out the rando
rig for the softer (not wider!) skis.

Old January 28th 04, 05:29 PM
pigo

"Chuck" wrote in message
SkaredShtles wrote in
7.132:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

One could argue that the boarder didn't need special equipment to ride on
the powder though. The same board works anywhere on the mountain. I've
tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

I use the same skis for everything. But then again, I hardly ever go now
when it's not powder. But "back in the day" I had a pair for very early all
rock conditions and a pair for Nov. to May. 205cm round turning slalom skis,
old ones and new ones. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm long
skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...........

pigo

Old January 29th 04, 01:54 AM
SkaredShtles

Chuck wrote in
:

SkaredShtles wrote in
7.132:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

One could argue that the boarder didn't need special equipment to ride
on the powder though. The same board works anywhere on the mountain.
I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

Ummm... yeah. Sure one could. But then again:

Bumps: Dynastar X8s
Crud: Dynastar X8s
Powder: Dynastar X8s
Corn: Dynastar X8s
Groomers: Dynastar X8s
Chutes: Dynastar X8s

Dimensions: ~75 ~60 ~70

And you know what? They work really well in all those conditions. The
only condition I REALLY don't like them in is breakable crust.

-T.O.M.-

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing Downhill Like Riding a Pony Ed Vogel Nordic Skiing 0 February 27th 04 06:04 PM