Is skiing reverse camber-rocker tips skis cheating?

Old October 24th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default Is skiing reverse camber-rocker tips skis cheating?

On Oct 24, 3:39*pm, downhill wrote:
snowfake wrote:

Real [untracked] powder is supposed to be the most easy snow medium to
ski with, you should be able to hold on/balance it with one foot.

Every professional skier that I have talked to says you move your skis
in parallel in powder. That skiing with just one foot weighted leads to
crashes.
I ski on one foot and transfer weight between them it does not work in
powder, you will crash.

I would like somebody else on this list to agree with you that you can
use two skis and make one lighter just using one ski than the other in
powder and not crash.

I agree with Ichie. On general principle.

Next you are going to claim that you can run in powder with tips pointed
down.

One thing for su you are a blowhard coward.

Old October 25th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

On Oct 24, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:
On Oct 23, 5:43 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:

Say it again what the "fact" is now, after your "telling the truth"
that "A lot of that is quite certainly powder skiing."

Yes, Chai-tea. An entirely different clip presented later does show
powder skiing.

It doesn't make the clips presented earlier any different.

Oh yeah, now you've specified your "standard," let's try the "fact" of
the first clip again, @:48 onward,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKD08dqj0I

That wasn't the first clip.

This was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-HnaOGRM1Y

And there is no powder skiing in it.

Maybe, but I'll say questionable; nevertheless, what's the different
in "techniques" to ski them? Let's see your example of what powder
skiing is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKLWnGrrGAU

From 00:48 to 1:45 is definitely real powder skiing.

Good powder, we don't have much of those kind of snow around here;
nevertheless, I think your definition of powder skiing is too narrow.
Is that real [untracked] powder makes the easiest snow medium to ski
with?

If you're asking if untracked powder is the easiest snow condition in
which to ski...

....the answer is no.

Say it again what the "truth" is now, after "You were asked to show it
working in powder and you didn't." But I did.

No. You didn't.

You have now, but you hadn't when that was first said.

Oh yeah, now you've specified your "standard," let's try the "fact" of
the first clip, @:48 onward,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKD08dqj0I"

and how about my claim that teleboarding is a new way to ski to
powder?

Since even in that clip, the snow never gets over his knees, it's pretty
clear that it is at the most about 14 - 16" deep.

Not really powder.

"Ok, '6 - 10 inches of loose snow' do not make powder skiing. Yup, I
can see why you never praise anybody's skiing, a conceited little
knowledge doesn't know any better."

I'm neither praising nor condemning the skiing. I'm simply stating the
facts: it isn't powder skiing.

So I've said the fact is because your little knowledge doesn't shed
the light.

LOL

Ok, Mr. shameless LOL.

LOL

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 25th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

On Oct 24, 12:42 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,

snowbender wrote:
On Oct 24, 12:26 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:

I don't see the "technique" differences in skiing above 6 inches of
fresh snow.

In 6 inches of snow, your skis end up in contact with the firm base. In
actual powder conditions the snow beneath the skis is still soft.

Maybe in BC, here in the Sierra Nevada mountains 4 inches will cover
the firm base, and you won't feel the base on 6 inches. Then, again,
does that 2 inches of snow cover make different skiing?

1. You're simply lying or deluded if you think that you don't contact
the firm base in only 4 inches of loose snow.

You may scrape the bottom "occasionally" on 4" of fresh snow, but not
on 6", and definitely not on 10", so your "6 - 10 inches of loose snow
do not make powder skiing" is only your own bull****.

You bottom out continuously in 6" of snow light enough to be powder
skiing if it's deeper.

2. The primary difference is that on a firm base you can easily recover
from occasional moments when your weight is not even distributed on both
feet. Get your weight on one foot for even a moment in real powder and
you're going down.

That maybe your problem, but not mine,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W6rrz1Tw4k

Real [untracked] powder is supposed to be the most easy snow medium to
ski with, you should be able to hold on/balance it with one foot.

Nope. And that isn't powder. The fact that your depth in the snow
doesn't change with the phase of the turn you're in demonstrates that
you're skiing on the compacted snow beneath the loose snow.

Anyone who thinks that one can use technique to ski each of them...

What are the "'technique' differences" again?

Look above.

Rebutted.

LOL

...is deluded.

Or this thought is deluded?

Nope, but you are.

Of course you think so, Mr. deluded.

LOL

Old October 25th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/24/10 3:39 PM, downhill wrote:
snowfake wrote:

Real [untracked] powder is supposed to be the most easy snow medium to
ski with, you should be able to hold on/balance it with one foot.

Every professional skier that I have talked to says you move your skis
in parallel in powder. That skiing with just one foot weighted leads to
crashes.
I ski on one foot and transfer weight between them it does not work in
powder, you will crash.

I would like somebody else on this list to agree with you that you can
use two skis and make one lighter just using one ski than the other in
powder and not crash.

When snowbender joined Vtskier and me for a freshie day at Alpine, he
was using pretty wide boards. In some soft snow conditions wide enough
boards can float using alternate weighting. While I didn't study his
technique (busy leading around the home court) snowbender was doing
pretty good in the Sierra Soft (which isn't however exactly light powder.)

IMO too wide and alternate weighting misses the point of powder which is
why I forgo wide (and of course wide's ******* children spatula and
rocker.) But each to his own.

Next you are going to claim that you can run in powder with tips pointed
down.

With weight properly centered tips will flex up without intervention.
But some folks think you have to sit back and force the tips up,
providing another factor identifying the unskilled skier riding their
wide rockers.
Old October 25th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/24/10 12:36 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKLWnGrrGAU

From 00:48 to 1:45 is definitely real powder skiing.

Your time bracket is a fine illustrative selection. Good to keep the
objective in mind.

Problem with Heli skiing is that even Mike can't guarantee such
conditions and the amount they charge for a week keeps me going for a
season within which there will be many (but scattered) days approaching
the video clip. Even the rest of the video beyond what you indicate is
pretty sparse on ultra deep and light. Gotta be rolling in money to burn
it on a copter.
Old October 25th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:

With weight properly centered tips will flex up without intervention.
But some folks think you have to sit back and force the tips up,
providing another factor identifying the unskilled skier riding their
wide rockers.

Thanks LaL

What I have found than on GS ski's and going for speed you lean forward
and drive shins in to front of boots and works well on eastern firm and
hard pack and has horrible results in any powder.
Old October 25th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Oct 21, 5:09*pm, pigo wrote:

Not so for skiing. It actually gets worse for those of us at the upper
ability levels. The "scary" places a few of us used to go and get to
ourselves are now packed with the "less qualified". Places I used to
count on for fresh snow are now crowded with sitters and side slippers
that have no idea.

It's true that off-piste is getting more crowded due to these new
equipment - the trend already started with fat skis years and years
ago. Nevertheless, the new gear also enables advanced experts to ski
better.
Old October 25th 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Oct 25, 4:30*am, lal_truckee wrote:

IMO too wide and alternate weighting misses the point of powder which is
why I forgo wide (and of course wide's ******* children spatula and
rocker.) But each to his own.

I see zero downside to having a rockered tip off-piste. Can you think
of one? Hell, they would make narrow skis perform better too!
Old October 25th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Oct 24, 9:00*pm, downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

What I have found than on GS ski's and going for speed you lean forward
and drive shins in to front of boots and works well on eastern firm and
hard pack and has horrible results in any powder.

We're talking micro adjustments here. But I feel like I still drive my
shins forward in powder. But there's a feel you get from the tips
flexing upward that you have to be sure not to "overrule".
Old October 25th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Oct 25, 7:18*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Oct 21, 5:09*pm, pigo wrote:

It's true that off-piste is getting more crowded due to these new
equipment - the trend already started with fat skis years and years
ago. Nevertheless, the new gear also enables advanced experts to ski
better.

I don't see it. I think it makes advanced look like experts maybe.