sunny weather

Old February 12th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default sunny weather

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:

I was called the 'Campbell's soup boy' by the lift attendant last
time up.

Care to elaborate? A winning combination
of red, white and black?

I'm guessing snot-cicles frozen to the beard.

Works for me, with sympathy as I have a mustache.
Old February 12th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
crap.

May be a break in the bad weather coming up - small chance of snow
tomorrow night and wednesday.

Snow otherwise holding up pretty well on permanently shaded slopes.

So last wednesday I skied in the rain.

After the rain stopped it SNOWED.

Sunday was awesome:

I took Billy down lower Ovation. Steep
as in low 40 degrees. Bumps, ice, but
at least covered well. Light was flat,
couldn't see the ice or the bumps.

Ski a ways, stop, check line, go again.
repeat.

Took me about 5 minutes. Took Billy 15.

Did some baby-sitting while a young lad's
dad went back to Skye Ship to get his car
because the kid wasn't feeling good, as
in thought he was going to vomit, so got
left at first aid. The nurse wanted us
there because she was expecting a code 4
(bad injury as in call the ambulance ahead
of time telling them to come noisy).

Got done with that, put up some signs
forbidding skiers from poaching a particularly
good slope down near the bottom. Went all
the way to the bottom to see if we could
catch a few doing exactly that. I came home
with a ticket in my pocket and Dan had
names for a couple season pass holders who
would be issued stern warnings.

Went inside for coffee. Looked up and saw
the lift wasn't running. Checked. Learned
that a lift had been struck by lightning
at Pico and they had cleared all the lifts
at K because the storm was headed our way.

Worked the Guest Service desk for an hour
and a half with Dan (who wasn't really
working) and kept people relatively calm.
Lift started again but by the time we were
geared up, it shut down for another passing
storm.

By the time we actually got back to the top
it was 3:30 and time for end of day where
we post ourselves at various locations
so that people don't return to the wrong
parking lot and need to be bussed out after
lift closing. At my location, by a large
metal trail map, under a power line, yet
another storm went over with attendant
lightning and thunder and Voluminous amounts
of snow, almost white out.

Cleared the trails and skied out to my car.
Called the boss because I was at an outpost
lodge and didn't want to drive back to
the main part of the resort. Roads were
particularly evil at that point. TG for 4WD.

It's actually winter here this year.

Just so you know. Killington has 5 base
lodges connected by road and lift/trail
system. It's a hugely easy place to get
lost which is why we do what we do.

Most ski areas are arranged to get skiers
back to a central point no matter where
you are starting from. Not so K-mart.

This is a good representation of how you
experience Killington. It's a high quality
jpeg so you can print it large and read
it pretty well.
http://www.killington.com/images/07-08_Trail_Guide.jpg

As I said, this represents how you experience
Killington. In point of fact, at the left
side of the map, Bear Mountain faces due east.

Killington K-1 gondola lift line faces due north
and the Snowdon area to the right of that
faces a bit northwest with Rams head coming
around to north again.

It's a ten mile car ride from Skye Ship Base
(elevation 1000+/-) to K-1 lodge. The peak
is just over 4000 feet, so we have 3000 feet
of vertical and Great Eastern is about 4
miles long and it's not a totally wimpy
trail with some "interesting" things along
the way.

LAL, you know you have a standing invitation
for the year when Alpine doesn't get snow.
I know you won't be here this year.

Oh yeah, we're expecting another 5 to 9 inches
tomorrow night down here in the valley.
Old February 12th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Stevens Pass is re-opening tomorrow after several days closed due to heavy snow,
highway avalances, power outages, etc. They must have been blasting the H... out
of it today to get ready. Lots of heavy, wet snow, with possible rain soon. Not
much sign of sun. 140" base. Hopefully, we will get some lighter snow as it
cools off later this week.

Old February 12th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
t...
VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:

I was called the 'Campbell's soup boy' by the lift attendant last time
up.

Care to elaborate? A winning combination
of red, white and black?

I'm guessing snot-cicles frozen to the beard.

The commercial is a snowman eating a bowl of soup and melting into a boy.

Old February 12th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:
I was called the 'Campbell's soup boy' by the lift attendant last time
up.
Care to elaborate? A winning combination
of red, white and black?

I'm guessing snot-cicles frozen to the beard.

The commercial is a snowman eating a bowl of soup and melting into a boy.

Aha, well that's what happens when you don't
have TV, yer out of the loop.
Old February 13th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:
I was called the 'Campbell's soup boy' by the lift attendant last time
up.
Care to elaborate? A winning combination
of red, white and black?
I'm guessing snot-cicles frozen to the beard.

The commercial is a snowman eating a bowl of soup and melting into a boy.

Aha, well that's what happens when you don't
have TV, yer out of the loop.

Some loops it's better to be out of. DVRs have made life a lot more
pleasant. We edited the superbowl game to leave out the game and see
the commercials, most of which were disappointing. The Clydesdales make
up for a lot, though.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 13th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:
"lal_truckee" wrote
VtSkier wrote:
Mike wrote:

I was called the 'Campbell's soup boy' by the lift attendant last time
up.

Care to elaborate? A winning combination
of red, white and black?

I'm guessing snot-cicles frozen to the beard.

The commercial is a snowman eating a bowl of soup and melting into a boy.

Aha, well that's what happens when you don't
have TV, yer out of the loop.

This newsgroup has many idiosyncricies. One is that if you make a
reference to TV commercials you'll have to explain it, because it'll
sail right over the heads of many of us.

People still watch TV? Who knew?

//walt
Old February 13th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Walt" wrote in message
Aha, well that's what happens when you don't
have TV, yer out of the loop.

This newsgroup has many idiosyncricies. One is that if you make a reference
to TV commercials you'll have to explain it, because it'll sail right over the
heads of many of us.

People still watch TV? Who knew?

I watch it. I just push the magic button to skip the commercials. Click. Program
continues.

Old February 13th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:05:43 -0500, Walt wrote
this crap:

This newsgroup has many idiosyncricies. One is that if you make a
reference to TV commercials you'll have to explain it, because it'll
sail right over the heads of many of us.

People still watch TV? Who knew?

You don't watch Reno 911? It's all that's left since there's no
reruns of Baywatch.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old February 13th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Harry Weiner wrote:

You don't watch Reno 911?

I live it, if I go visit the kid.

hot weather 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 16 June 23rd 06 10:03 PM
From Best Ski Weather ianskivt North American Ski Resorts 0 March 3rd 06 03:50 PM
Mtn. Weather Steve Backcountry Skiing 0 August 11th 05 02:07 AM
Sunny Glenshee Adrian Tupper European Ski Resorts 0 February 27th 05 08:31 PM
weather karen smith European Ski Resorts 2 September 28th 04 10:55 AM