Traction Treads

Old November 23rd 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Traction Treads

Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car from spinning its
tires? I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Old November 23rd 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Nov 23, 8:53*am, "DZN" wrote:
Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car *from spinning its
tires? *I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Don't stand behind the car when someone is using them, unless you are
an ice hockey goaltender.

Old November 23rd 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"DZN" wrote in message news:0UfWk.151001

Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car from spinning
its tires? I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Depends. Partly on how much they cost. I've never bought anything like that
but I carry a bag of sand and a small shovel in winter conditions. Really,
anything you can get between your wheel and the ice has potential to help.
If you're in a serious snowbank you still need the shovel to even reach the
spot where you're going to place whatever you intend to use.

Another good thing to have in the trunk is a dozen beer. Most times best
tool is a handful of "volunteers".

Old November 23rd 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Nov 23, 2:02*pm, "Norm" wrote:
"DZN" wrote in message news:0UfWk.151001
Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car *from spinning
its tires? *I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Depends. Partly on how much they cost. I've never bought anything like that
but I carry a bag of sand and a small shovel in winter conditions. Really,
anything you can get between your wheel and the ice has potential to help..
If you're in a serious snowbank you still need the shovel to even reach the
spot where you're going to place whatever you intend to use.

Another good thing to have in the trunk is a dozen beer. Most times best
tool is a handful of "volunteers".

I've found QuikRete to be quite useful in extricating stuck vehicles
from snow and ice.
JP

Old November 23rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Nov 23, 1:11*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
On Nov 23, 2:02*pm, "Norm" wrote:

"DZN" wrote in message news:0UfWk.151001
Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car *from spinning
its tires? *I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Depends. Partly on how much they cost. I've never bought anything like that
but I carry a bag of sand and a small shovel in winter conditions. Really,
anything you can get between your wheel and the ice has potential to help.
If you're in a serious snowbank you still need the shovel to even reach the
spot where you're going to place whatever you intend to use.

Another good thing to have in the trunk is a dozen beer. Most times best
tool is a handful of "volunteers".

I've found QuikRete to be quite useful in extricating stuck vehicles
from snow and ice.
JP

Excellent idea. Maybe mix in a little rock salt or kitty litter to
get some heat.
Old November 23rd 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

On Nov 23, 8:53 am, "DZN" wrote:
Anyone use traction treads (also known as Go Treads) or other type of
traction mat one puts under a spinning wheel to get a car from spinning its
tires? I'm curious if they work or are just a waste of money?

Don't stand behind the car when someone is using them, unless you are
an ice hockey goaltender.

Cardboard on ice doesn't work either, but it's less lethal. You (guy
with small RWD pickup) use what you have. My Sentra had no problem at
all. I miss that car. Weak, but small and reliable until it blew a seal.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Welcome to Hell, here's your accordion."
Old November 24th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:11*pm, Jay Pique wrote:

I've found QuikRete to be quite useful in extricating stuck vehicles
from snow and ice.

Excellent idea. Maybe mix in a little rock salt or kitty litter to
get some heat.

Can't any of you ****ers afford a 4 Wheel Drive vehicle? And how 'bout
them Bolts, Dickie. Sucking hind ****in' tit for sure this year. You
know, Peyton Manning fly fishes Jackson Hole in the off season.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old November 24th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:11 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've found QuikRete to be quite useful in extricating stuck vehicles
from snow and ice.

Excellent idea. Maybe mix in a little rock salt or kitty litter to
get some heat.

Can't any of you ****ers afford a 4 Wheel Drive vehicle? And how 'bout
them Bolts, Dickie. Sucking hind ****in' tit for sure this year. You
know, Peyton Manning fly fishes Jackson Hole in the off season.

Yes, I can afford a 4WD vehicle. But I've found