slide boards (was: skate technique for bicyclists)

Old December 11th 03, 03:20 PM
Chris Cline

Default slide boards (was: skate technique for bicyclists)

--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658

I've seen "roll-up" slide boards in department stores-- they usually have a picture of a serious athlete like Christy Brinkley or Suzanne Sommers (or, to be gender-equal, Chuck Norris) on the box. But, they are compact and inexpensive. They are essentially a piece of slick flexible plastic with bumpers on either end. Portable, too. It's been a while since I've actually seen one on a store shelf, so it may be something that will more likely be found on an eBay hunt.

Chris

Ken Roberts wrote:
Yes there's a detailed discussion of slideboards in Audun Endestad and John
Teaford's XC ski racing book in 1987 (also a careful discussion about
effective off-season training on inline skates).

The big problem with a slideboard for me is fitting one into our little
apartment -- because it's at least 7 feet (2.2m) long. Endestad said you
can cut it and put a hinge in the middle -- has anyone tried this? with
which model of slideboard?

I've also found a machine at my gym which is great for training my hip
abductors to push out to the side from a standing position, but I haven't
seen it most other places. Most hip abductor machines I've tried force me
into a sitting position which doesn't feel very skating-specific.

Now I've maxed out the weight on the machine, so now my exercise on it is
becoming high-rep, getting closer to an interval workout than real strength
training. Maybe that's a good thing.

Ken

--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658

DIVI've seen "roll-up" slide boards in department stores-- they usually have a picture of a serious athlete like Christy Brinkley or Suzanne Sommers (or, to be gender-equal, Chuck Norris) on the box.  But, they are compact and inexpensive.  They are essentially a piece of slick flexible plastic with bumpers on either end.  Portable, too.  It's been a while since I've actually seen one on a store shelf, so it may be something that will more likely be found on an eBay hunt./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBIKen Roberts >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Yes there's a detailed discussion of slideboards in Audun Endestad and JohnBRTeaford's XC ski racing book in 1987 (also a careful discussion aboutBReffective off-season training on inline skates).BRBRThe big problem with a slideboard for me is fitting one into our littleBRapartment -- because it's at least 7 feet (2.2m) long. Endestad said youBRcan cut it and put a hinge in the middle -- has anyone tried this? withBRwhich model of slideboard?BRBRI've also found a machine at my gym which is great for training my hipBRabductors to push out to the side from a standing position, but I haven'tBRseen it most other places. Most hip abductor machines I've tried force meBRinto a sitting position which doesn't feel very skating-specific.BRBRNow I've maxed out the weight on the machine, so now my exercise on it isBRbecoming high-rep, getting closer to an in!
terval
workout than real strengthBRtraining. Maybe that's a good thing.BRBRKenBRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http://photos.yahoo.com"New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing/a
--0-1547914508-1071155574=:4658--

Old December 11th 03, 09:11 PM
Serge

Roll-up slideboards have two disadvantages:

1. they are to short for anybody mildly athletic (about 6-7').
2. side rests are inadequate (often too low and unpadded).

I made my own:

The best surface is high-grade Formica (about $40 for 4x9' piece at Home Depot).
I put mine right on hardwood floor w/carpet tape and cover it with berber.

When I need it, I slide off the rug and screw rests on - no hinges, folding
or storing. Rests are made from 2x1 and strips cut of foam knee pad are glued on.

Usable length is 8-9' and resistance can be increased if you spray
Armorall on it. I use cordura nylon sockets over sneakers.

As limited tool as it is, slideboard is very good for cyclists and runners
to brake familiar "up and down" foot pattern and get ready to skate motion.