First RS ride: first ticket

Old April 25th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default First RS ride: first ticket

While waiting for the bicycle roads to be cleaned out of the winter
sand and gravel, I went on a 1 km asphalted loop located on the
Abrabham Plain park in Quebec City. This loop welcomes inline skaters.
I put my rollerskis on and rollerskated with poles for the first time
on this loop. The park police caught me up after six loops, and asked
that I shall not use my poles on this track because it wears out
asphalt (made with fine sand the guy said) by the pole punching. The
park official even showed me a warning sign the park put close to the
track forbidding using poles (a cross going across poles!).
Although I know some bikers, along with some city officials, forbid
the use of the bike or inlineskate roads by rollerskiers because we
scrap "their" bitumen with our poles, I really wonder if there is any
sound, scientific truth that backs their theory, or is it only because
they are scared by the sharp ferrules or the strangeness of seeing
someone skiing in the warm season (who is fool enough to miss
winter?)...

So, is it true that poles with carbon steel tips wears out asphalt?
Has anyone come across any study on the impact of pole ferrules on
asphalt, and by how much it wears it?

Rock
Old April 25th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

or the strangeness of seeing

That's it.

Old April 25th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 25, 8:35*am, wrote:
[...]

The pavement durability will be dependent on the aggregate. The
asphalt is only a binder holding the rock, sand etc together. If the
pavement doesn't have hard rock (only sand), the ferrule tips will
likely displace the soft asphalt resulting in greater wear to the
surface. As Gene notes, this will be amplified when the asphalt is
hot because it will be softer.
Old April 26th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 25, 4:02*pm, wrote:

[...]

if there were 1000s of rollerskiers using the path - may be. Otherwise
- b.s.
Old April 27th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 25, 7:14*pm, wrote:
On Apr 25, 4:02*pm, wrote:

On Apr 25, 8:35*am, wrote:

[...]

- b.s.- Hide quoted text -

That may indeed be true,but are you saying the rule is BS because you
don't think the level of use would be detrimental to the trail? If
so, how do you know?
Old April 27th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 25, 7:35*am, wrote:
[...]

Did you get a ticket/fine? Were you now aware of the prohibition
against using poles? If so, what did you expect?
Old April 28th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

That may indeed be true,but are you saying the rule is BS because you
don't think the level of use would be detrimental to the trail? *If
so, how do you know?

I am not saying that the rule is BS, I am just asking whether a
carbide tip really punches the pavement. My own observations, at
temperatures 25 °C, is that my poles don't poke the pavement. That's
all.

I was not aware of the rules, only that rollerskiers are seldom
welcome on bicycle/rollerblade roads, and the main reason I heard of
was because of the sharp poles.

Rock

Old April 30th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Apr 25, 11:35*am, wrote:

So, is it true that poles with carbon steel tips wears out asphalt?

Carbide tips are harder than asphalt and they will "wear" on the
pavement surface. Asphalt is mixed in different "types" largely based
on aggregate size and wear / ride characteristics. If you look at a
road surface where snowmobiles travel, you can see the impact their
carbide tipped studs have. Based on my experience, road surfaces
usually wear out due to the extreme freeze-thaw cycles that they
undergo. Most state DOT's ban the use of studded tires after May 1st
to limit damage to the pavement during warm weather months. Carbide
tipped hiking poles also mark rock surfaces, which you can see on some
mountain tops.

That said, the actual wear on a paved surface from RS poles has gotta
be quite small simply based on the low numbers of RS users. I'm
curious if the park police ban the use of nordic walking poles?

- Bob