Race Hydration

Old January 13th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

Default Race Hydration

Having only recently begun using poles with the new "ergo" straps (Swix
Profit, Exel whatever they're called), I've discovered that, with them, it's
much more difficult to grab - and try to drink from - traditional water
bottles (carried in the traditional carriers, like the old Ultimate
Direction holster). I've pretty much given up on trying to carry water in a
race, relying instead on feed stations. Just curious about what others (who
would rather carry their own drinks) have come up with to solve this issue.

-Jeff

Old January 13th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:40:49 -0700, "Wily Coyote"
wrote:

Having only recently begun using poles with the new "ergo" straps (Swix
Profit, Exel whatever they're called), I've discovered that, with them, it's
much more difficult to grab - and try to drink from - traditional water
bottles (carried in the traditional carriers, like the old Ultimate
Direction holster). I've pretty much given up on trying to carry water in a
race, relying instead on feed stations. Just curious about what others (who
would rather carry their own drinks) have come up with to solve this issue.

I rotate the belt around so the bottle is in front, then take it out,
drink, replace the bottle and then rotate it back to the back.

JFT

Old January 13th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On 13 jan, 14:40, "Wily Coyote" wrote:
Having only recently begun using poles with the new "ergo" straps (Swix
Profit, Exel whatever they're called), I've discovered that, with them, it's
much more difficult to grab - and try to drink from - traditional water
bottles (carried in the traditional carriers, like the old Ultimate
Direction holster). I've pretty much given up on trying to carry water in a
race, relying instead on feed stations. Just curious about what others (who
would rather carry their own drinks) have come up with to solve this issue.

-Jeff

For loppets (30 km), I have tried hyperhydration (http://
www.sportsci.org/traintech/glycerol/rar.htm) for a couple of times and
it worked great. The advantage: nothing to carry during the race.
However, I beleive it is a difficult method for sensible stomachs.
However, this year, I am back with my belt trying the new hydration
formula tested on the Tour de France (by cyclists;
http://outside.away.com/outside/body...ydration.html). I
have tested it so far during my long distance (3-4 hrs) ski workouts
and it works great, you never "hit the wall" (but that doesn't solve
your drinking method problem indeed). I also rotate my belt in front
then take the bottle out. Drinking is so important that I would even
stop skiing for drinking rather than continue without doing it; it is
not worth thirsting to save time, your performance will fall abruptly.
Rock

Old January 14th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, wrote:
Don't know if they've changed, but the Ultimate Direction packs had the
bottle vertical. Try a diagonally-slanted one such as the Salomon.

Totally agree. The vertical holders are worthless for skiing in my
opinion. You have to stop, rotate the pack in order to remove it and
then rotate it back. I've never been able to drink on the move with
them. I used a Salomon angled pack for years and loved it. I
customized it with some insulation at the bottom. Alas, it was
stolen. I now have a new Fischer pack, very similar design, which I
like too.

I'm able to drink from an angled pack with the modern pole straps,
having used Swix, Excel and Toko/Yoko. (prefer Swix, but not for that
reason, they're just the most comfortable for me). It takes some
practice, but it can be done. I choose moderate/easy downhills and
drink a little bit (1-2 glugs), but frequently.
Old January 14th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What'd you use for insulation? Another issue is bottles. The Polar
bottles are much better insulated, but the 20oz is near impossible to
grab from the Salomon pack because it's too short, and the 24oz is
sometimes not easy because of the wide diameter. I prefer the thinner
28oz bike type, but it gets cold faster. Hot water and turning it
upside down buys time.

Old January 15th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Camilo wrote:
On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

I put a little disk cut from a foam sleeping pad at the bottom of the
bottle holder, then sealed it up by taping on the outside with black
tape. I think it made a big difference. When it's really cold, I
put a heat pack down there, flip the bottle upside down and start with
water as hot as my tap puts it out. If it's really, really cold when
training, I wear a little looser jacket and put it over the water
bottle pack in back.
Old January 15th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:37:16 -0800 (PST), Camilo
wrote:

I put a little disk cut from a foam sleeping pad at the bottom of the
bottle holder, then sealed it up by taping on the outside with black
tape. I think it made a big difference. When it's really cold, I
put a heat pack down there, flip the bottle upside down and start with
water as hot as my tap puts it out.

Really interesting. I'd tried the heat pack w/o the foam but that
didn't seem to help much.

Old January 15th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

wrote:
I put a little disk cut from a foam sleeping pad at the bottom of the
bottle holder, then sealed it up by taping on the outside with black
tape. I think it made a big difference. When it's really cold, I
put a heat pack down there, flip the bottle upside down and start with
water as hot as my tap puts it out.

Really interesting. I'd tried the heat pack w/o the foam but that
didn't seem to help much.

My Salomon bottle pack is (was) open at the bottom. Not totally open
of course or the bottle would fall through. But instead of a solid
fabric bottom to the bottle pouch, there was just a strap, open on
each side of the strap. I put a round piece of an old sleeping pad in
there, held in place by friction, but also taped up the bottom on the
outside. (using BLACK duct tape for aesthetic reasons!) My theory is
that to preserve heat, the more you can do to eliminate air
circulation would help the insulation itself, thus I supplemented the
piece of insulation by making it more air tight with tape. Does any
of this make sense? My unit was about 5 years old; I don't know if
the new Salomon bottle belts are the same design.

Then, like I said, I put a small heat pack inside there, invert the
bottle, and with hot water it will prevent freezing for quite a while
at quite cold temps. YMMV, of course.

My new Fischer bottle belt doesn't have this open design on the bottom
of the bottle pouch. I haven't decided if I'm going to add insulation
or not. Another feature I like better than the old Salomon belt is
that the zipper pouch is larger, more adequate for keys, cell phone,
power bars, gu or kick wax. I think I could put a cork in there. I
like to carry things like this (not all of them every time!) when I'm
training/rec skiing, and it's nicer than carrying another belt pack or
having that stuff in jacket or pants pockets (yes, I like XC clothing
with POCKETS).

first race 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 1 November 19th 05 12:22 PM
Cleaning hydration reservoir/Keeping from freezing Eric Snowboarding 7 January 4th 05 08:39 PM
First Race Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 11 January 7th 04 06:47 PM
Hydration Pack in the Back Country Arco Backcountry Skiing 17 October 17th 03 12:03 AM
5km race training Jeff Kalember Nordic Skiing 7 August 24th 03 07:17 PM