My boss suddenly claims that waxing is unnecessary...

Old March 7th 04, 02:23 AM
Rob

Default My boss suddenly claims that waxing is unnecessary...

Hey. I haven't even lurked here before but I was hoping to get some
quick info from a bunch of other people, and thought this might be the
ideal place to shoot for.

I've been waxing and tuning skis and snowboards for a local shop
for a little while, and I do a pretty nice job for pretty cheap (10
bucks gets clean edges and a smooth wax). Suddenly, today, the guy
hands me a couple of pages of paper and declares that we're not going
to wax our skis or snowboards anymore. This, he says, is the "new
school" way of doing things.

A few (not verbatim) quotes from the pages: "basically these days
almost all bases are made by one guy"; "the bases are not porous,
they're just [sic] petex"; "you can paste wax to skis or a board but
you're better off just shaving the top off the base"; and so on.

I told him it smelled like bullhockey to me, but he insists it's
legit and that it came from Snowbird, UT. I don't buy that, either.

What I wanted to find out is, has anybody else heard this stuff? Is
Snowbird actually endorsing this thing or did he get this info from
some kook and lie about it? Also, I honestly don't have enough
technical info to be able to directly say, for example, "K2's bases
are all still porous of course and they're made out of
Gobbledygook(tm)"; if one of you knows enough to be able to straight
up call it baloney, I'd like to print it out and hand it to him.

I don't think it'll make a difference to him; he's never been too
hot on the idea of having to wax skis and snowboards, anyway. But I'm
curious too, and want to make sure that the whole industry didn't
change under my nose without my noticing.

Thanks,

- Rob.
Old March 7th 04, 05:20 AM
Sean Martin

There are actually 3 base material manufacturers. Crown plastics in Ohio,
P-tex and Isosport are both in Europe. As for not needing to wax, I'd
simply put it to a test. Ride a pair of skis that are waxed and a pair that
aren't. Alternate runs and see what works better. I think you'll find the
waxed skis run better especially if you're using the right wax for the
conditions.

Sean Martin
Donek Snowboards Inc.

http://www.donek.com/
phone:877-53-DONEK

om...

Old March 7th 04, 01:25 PM
Chet Hayes

Put the boss on an un-waxed snowboard and send him off to a transverse
trail with lots of long areas with very little pitch. See what he
says after that.
Old March 7th 04, 09:52 PM
Power Ranger

"Rob" wrote in message
om

Suddenly, today, the guy
hands me a couple of pages of paper and declares that we're not going
to wax our skis or snowboards anymore.

Your boss is dumb, you should see my board after one week of heavy
riding.

Old March 7th 04, 10:58 PM
ILuvIsocyanates

A few (not verbatim) quotes from the pages: "basically these days
almost all bases are made by one guy"; "the bases are not porous,
they're just [sic] petex"; "you can paste wax to skis or a board but
you're better off just shaving the top off the base"; and so on.

I told him it smelled like bullhockey to me, but he insists it's
legit and that it came from Snowbird, UT. I don't buy that, either.

Your boss is a complete idiot. Lets assume for a second that he's totally
correct, and bases no longer need wax (yeah right). There are still millions
of boards and skis out there with old bases on them that need wax, or does
he assume that when this "new technology" comes out that 100% of riders will
shell out $300+ for a new base?

My condolences on having to work for such a dumb ****.

Old March 8th 04, 07:23 PM
The Aikidoka

Yep...this is where it ALL comes out.

I'm a big guy (6' tall, 250 LBs, size 13 boots) and on a long, almost level
traverse, an unwaxed board for me stops dead.

Now, with a properly waxed shorter board I can glide for miles....

Technically, someone should be able to dig up specs on the viscosity of PTex
and other plastics vs. that of wax, no?

aiki

om...