Skiing in Ithaca?

Old December 3rd 03, 12:37 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Skiing in Ithaca?

Isn't there a place called Norse or Viking, or something like that? Can't
find it by searching.
Any chance of skiing on snow there this weekend?
Where might be the best place to ski close to town?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old December 3rd 03, 01:39 AM
Joe Galloway

Gary,
How about Podunk?
Try this link for XC skiing near Ithaca.
http://www.rso.cornell.edu/coc/snow.html

Joe

.. .

Old December 3rd 03, 02:02 AM
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Joe Galloway wrote:
How about Podunk?

Podunk's closed, or at least the trails are closed (and the
store has moved and is under new ownership). We have only
about 4" now and it's warming up towards the end of the
week. Tug Hill is always reliable if you don't mind driving
a couple of hours.

Your tax dollars well-spent:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/gra.../sd1_today.jpg

Bad taste is better than no taste -- Arnold Bennett
Old December 3rd 03, 03:15 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Hi Gary,

Never heard of either of those names in this area. We only just got
enough snow to ski on last night. But it's been warm and the ground's
not frozen yet. The problem is this: down in town where you might be
able to ski on a golf course, there is less snow (and the ground's not
frozen yet). Up in the hills there's more snow but there you need at
least some base to keep your skis above the rocks.

The good news is that the forecast has changed some today. Yesterday
it had temps above freezing later in the week. Now it looks like that
will only happen down in town on Thursday. The other good news is the
forecast shows chances of snow most days this week.

So the short answer is: yes there's a chance of skiing here this
weekend. Maybe on a golf course in town if they get a bit more snow
and some more good cold nights like tonight. Otherwise maybe up in
the hills, but then you'll need to drive 10-15 miles at least. These
lake effect snows are tricky. It can sometimes snow a foot or more in
one place and 5 miles down the road only an inch or two.

Best bet: check with me later in the week and I'll relay what trail
reports I pick up on the local skiing list.

-Mitch

Old December 3rd 03, 01:15 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

Ok, you made me look. :-) That photo wasn't taken anywhere near
here though. That page does list most of the local places people
go to ski, though a few are missing, such as the hill I live on.

The local ski club web site is he

http://www.spidergraphics.com/cnsc/

This has trail maps of some areas and links to other local pages with
other lists of where to ski. When snow is marginal it becomes a
search of all known hills to find which if any has enough snow. The
answer is not always obvious until folks report back in on the e-mail
list. And because most local ski trails are not groomed, but just
unplowed roads and hiking trails, a trail that was fine yesterday can
be destroyed by one yahoo in a 4x4 or ATV today.

-Mitch

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Ken Roberts wrote:

No wonder those Finger Lakes guys are such animal racers -- looking at the
photo on that Cornell Outing Club page.

Joe Galloway wrote
Try this link for XC skiing near Ithaca.
http://www.rso.cornell.edu/coc/snow.html

I had heard the hills were big around there, but Wow . . . and training with
a pack that big. Now I see how Mitch can just double-pole up any hill that
gets in his way on a mere race course.

Ken

Old December 3rd 03, 10:16 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson