Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area?

Old January 6th 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:19:52 -0500, Walt wrote
this crap:

On 12/24/2014 11:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/24/2014 08:01 AM, pigo wrote:
On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 3:43:49 AM UTC-7, Richard Henry
wrote:

It looks like a cool old funky place, as long as it's not a
shower-down-the-hall kind of place.

I had a private bathroom when I stayed there about a decade ago. Not
sure if all the rooms have their own bathroom.

Shower down the hall isn't really a big deal. Just take some rubber
flip flops. And who knows if that shower gets any less attention than
an in room one? You can still run into those hotels in Europe from
time to time but not as often as even 10 years ago.

LUUUUXURY! Back when we were traveling across the country sleeping in
the van we used lakes and streams and we were GRATEFUL!

You had a van? That must have been some easy living. All we had was a
Morris Minor which we shared with 17 cousins.

Such luxury. We made our own skis. We screwed old high top tennis
shoes to the skis, no bindings. We brought our own food because we
couldn't afford to pay for it, and they didn't sell hot food. Lifts
were all rope tows. The lodge was a shack with a fireplace, which was
built by the owners themselves in the off season. There was no bar,
everyone brought a bottle of booze and we shared.
It must be nice to have lived such a life of privilege.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 6th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 14:12:29 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:21:38 AM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/24/14 2:43 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
It looks like a cool old funky place, as long as it's not a shower-down-the-hall kind of place.

Part of the charm.
Mingle with new people in various states of undress.

Most such hotels provide robes, in both sizes - too short, and too narrow.

I stayed at the Alta Peruvian about 30 years ago as the last-minute

I was in the military for 22 years. Nobody had better or worse
sleeping conditions than us military.

Sleep in a tent for a week with the showers a half mile away.
I was an officer so my valet brought me coffee and a newspaper every
morning. Sucks to be him.

Old January 7th 15, 12:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/6/15 2:12 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
In those days the Peruvian was a little expensive compared to my normal Choice Hotels selection, but it was walking distance to the Alta lifts (and offered shuttle rides to Snowbird). Alta day tickets were included, plus buffet breakfast, coupon good for lunch on the mountain, and dinner at large tables seated with strangers soon to be friends. There was also a heated pool and jacuzzi on the deck, a ski storage and tuning room, and no TV in the building.

Western skiing used to be much more fun. The resorts were a newish idea
and those former 10th Mtn now resort owner-managers were really hoping
you'd come ski. They even tried to make it inexpensive and welcoming.
They were as much proselytizing as running a business. Everyone was
excited about just being there.

I suppose Sun Valley was a possible exception, with their hollywood clients.
Old January 7th 15, 06:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/06/2015 04:18 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Snow Summit promised to have a talk with their grooming supervisor. I
hope it wasn't "Hey, way to go, guy, you saved us a bundle! Keep up the
good work!" Higher prices, no 'getaway special'. They still have the
'ski free on your birthday' program, which does us October and June
people a lot of good :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 7th 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 1/7/2015 1:18 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
They still have the
'ski free on your birthday' program, which does us October and June
people a lot of good :-(

October AND June? Did you crawl back in for seven months? I feel sorry
for your mom.

--
//Walt
Old January 7th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:12:54 AM UTC-7, Walt wrote:
On 12/23/2014 12:16 AM, wrote:
I am looking for the cheapest/least expensive area to stay several nights in the Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area. Suggestions politely please.

http://www.minturntable.com/page3.html

Motel/Reataurant in Minturn. Think of it as a dorm built for railroad
workers back in the 50s or so. Not elegant, but very cheap by CO ski
country standards.

At 50 miles away that's not exactly Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area now, is it? You might as well stay in Idaho Springs or Golden.

The truth is that there is no cheap place to stay in Summit County. But there are some places to stay in Fairplay that are only 20 miles away. The Hand Hotel is probably the cheapest. http://www.handhotel.com/ Not exactly first class accommodations but at least all rooms have a private bath.
Old January 8th 15, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/07/2015 07:58 AM, Walt wrote:
On 1/7/2015 1:18 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
They still have the
'ski free on your birthday' program, which does us October and June
people a lot of good :-(

October AND June? Did you crawl back in for seven months? I feel sorry
for your mom.

Ha. Friend, obviously.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
Old January 9th 15, 04:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Yeah, Minturn may be fine if you're skiing at Vail, but I have a Keystone, Breck, A-Basin pass and Fairplay or Idaho Springs are much more reasonable drives.
Thanx for the Fairplay idea!!
Old January 12th 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 4:18:20 PM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

I just stumbled onto this ski history article about Jay Peak. I was fortunate to live close enough so that the local high school school provided a free bus most Saturdays in the winter. My 6th-grade Sunday School teacher was Don McNally, a former vaudeville performer who owned a drive-in theater and therefore was free to be Jay Peak's first General Manager in the winter.

http://www.vermonter.com/northlandjo...ay-peak-vt.php

Old January 12th 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/11/15 9:15 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I just stumbled onto this ski history article about Jay Peak.

http://www.vermonter.com/northlandjo...ay-peak-vt.php

It's good to see that the old timers (of which I suppose we are fringe
members) are recording their memoirs.