Headlines

Old February 16th 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Headlines

On 2/16/2015 3:47 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

Doing stuff without a goad is HARD.

Absolutely. Most people need to be goaded into doing something before
they'll do it. Usually multiple times.

But what does this have to do with the price of Rolex watches in Toledo?

--
//Walt
Old February 16th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:47:37 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:

Doing stuff without a goad is HARD. Going to work, doing your assigned
job and coming home is easy and every once in a while something happens
that makes you feel proud of yourself.

I can do some pretty intricate work. We built starter castles for the pc crowd. So that was fun. But it's harder for myself without the urgency to finish.

I envy you. Neither does anything for me -- not 8 ibuprofen nor 2
vicodin. Bitching doesn't help much either :-(

I learned that there's two ways to take ibuprofen. A couple for a headache or immediate pain relief. Or 5 (1000 mg.), 3 times a day, for about a week. For chronic inflammation. To get rid of something that's more of and injury rather than a one day sore spot. And I've gotten the doc's to give me Norco 10 now. Vicodin they can call in. Norco you have to show up with the prescription. And of course I have the Percocet's for backup, but I rarely take those. I have them because I got a scrip for them and only needed two awhile back.

It sucks getting old, but it beats the alternative :-)
Good luck
Old February 16th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/16/2015 07:25 AM, Walt wrote:
On 2/16/2015 3:47 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

Doing stuff without a goad is HARD.

Absolutely. Most people need to be goaded into doing something before
they'll do it. Usually multiple times.

But what does this have to do with the price of Rolex watches in Toledo?

No more than it has to do with "Headlines".

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

Old February 16th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/16/2015 11:41 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/16/2015 07:25 AM, Walt wrote:
On 2/16/2015 3:47 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

Doing stuff without a goad is HARD.

Absolutely. Most people need to be goaded into doing something before
they'll do it. Usually multiple times.

But what does this have to do with the price of Rolex watches in Toledo?

No more than it has to do with "Headlines".

Ok then, it must be time for the ski report:

Saturday the temps were right around zero Farenheit all day with a 30mph
wind blowing out of the north. Despite the big holiday, it was a ghost
town on the front side as it was quite difficult to ski directly into
the wind. Basically, conditions were brutal and I quit after five and a
half hours.

Sunday started at -27 F when the kids showed up for race training at
seven. By the time they let the rest of us on the hill it had warmed up
to -16. But abundant sunshine and low wind made for what was arguably
the best day of the season.

Off to Utah next week - I can only hope the conditions are as good as
yesterday.

--
//Walt
Old February 16th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

*******.

Sunday started at -27 F when the kids showed up for race training at
seven. By the time they let the rest of us on the hill it had warmed up
to -16. But abundant sunshine and low wind made for what was arguably
the best day of the season.

Off to Utah next week - I can only hope the conditions are as good as
yesterday.

Got facebook? There have been recent reports from the SLC area. I
thought last week at Brian Head was wonderful, but cognoscenti
apologized for the poor conditions and deplored the thin snow. Just
depends on what you're used to, I guess.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke

Old February 16th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Walt wrote:
Despite the big holiday, it was a ghost
town on the front side as it was quite difficult to ski directly into
the wind. Basically, conditions were brutal and I quit after five and a
half hours.

We had plans to head to Tuxedo tonight for Monday night racing but they
closed due to temps.

This past weekend much of Hunter and Windham lifts were shut due to wind.
Old February 17th 15, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/16/2015 3:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Got facebook? There have been recent reports from the SLC area. I
thought last week at Brian Head was wonderful, but cognoscenti
apologized for the poor conditions and deplored the thin snow. Just
depends on what you're used to, I guess.

I'm on facebook, but I haven't seen anything about SLC since few of my
facebook friends ski. But I have been following this:
http://www.epicski.com/t/132147/2014...-discussion/90

Utah is pretty disappointing this season if you're a powder hound. But
I'll be happy to have the icy groomers to myself as the locals will all
be staying home. Looks like ice in the morning and slush in the
afternoon next week.

--
//Walt
Old February 17th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 14:31:01 -0800, Alan Baker

On 2015-02-14 16:28:09 +0000, pigo said:

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 11:26:41 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
There are many different definitions of "looking good" and the
difference between a Rolex and a Rolax in terms of looks would seem to
be minimal.

That's very true. But YOU know what you are wearing. It makes you feel
good. And if you can afford it, why not.
I wouldn't eat ramen for a year, or resort to skipping other
responsibilities for one (like so many entitlement folk do these days).
But if you can go buy one, and like it, and wear it? Why not? I wore
$20 watches most of my life. They worked for decades with little
attention. But they didn't feel great when you put them on. That's a
nice perk.
All I'm saying is: It's a luxury. Don't begrudge someone that treats
themselves.

I think in the case of a Rolex, what matters is WHY it makes you feel
good over something else.

If I can afford to buy a Ferrari, it genuinely does things that cars
that cost less do not do. Absent everyone else in the world existing, a
Ferrari is still more fun than a Subaru for me.

But what makes a Rolex make someone feel good. I'll bet you it depends
mostly on other people KNOWING they have a real Rolex.

Nope. Most people can't tell.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 17th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/17/2015 07:27 AM, Walt wrote:
On 2/16/2015 3:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Got facebook? There have been recent reports from the SLC area. I
thought last week at Brian Head was wonderful, but cognoscenti
apologized for the poor conditions and deplored the thin snow. Just
depends on what you're used to, I guess.

I'm on facebook, but I haven't seen anything about SLC since few of my
facebook friends ski. But I have been following this:
http://www.epicski.com/t/132147/2014...-discussion/90

Some/most of The Usual Suspects are there and have visited/are in the
SLC area. How can you be found? I'm Bev Ashley and I'm orange.

Utah is pretty disappointing this season if you're a powder hound. But
I'll be happy to have the icy groomers to myself as the locals will all
be staying home. Looks like ice in the morning and slush in the
afternoon next week.

Sounds like SoCal most of the time, except it's ice until 9:00, OK until
10:30 or 11, and slush thereafter.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We're so far beyond ****ed we couldn't even catch a bus
Old February 17th 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/17/2015 12:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/17/2015 07:27 AM, Walt wrote:
On 2/16/2015 3:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Got facebook?

Some/most of The Usual Suspects are there and have visited/are in the
SLC area. I'm Bev Ashley and I'm orange.

I see. Is John Boehner your long lost brother?

--
//Walt