OK, I need your wise advice now...

Old September 2nd 04, 09:43 PM
DingusMilktoast

Default OK, I need your wise advice now...

I still ski on generation 1.5 T1's with a newer, softer tongue and
thermoflex liners. Until last season, this rig was lighter than T2's and I
suspect performed better.

I still like it just fine but the toes are a bit chewed up cause like, I
climb for real in these things too, don't just fake it at the resort. I
noticed too, that the newer power bindings seem to be calibrated for a
thicker toe bill?

Anyway, my new Voile bindings allow for some significant slop, especially up
and down. While I'm a sloppy skier and like mostly in soft snow where it
doesn't matter so much, I have skied on tighter setups and the control
improvement seems significant.

So, it's time for new boots.

I found online deals on 2003 boots, T1 or T2, 239 and 219 respectively. Both
come with thermofit liners.

I'm a cheap ******* and 250 is as high as I will go for new boots.

Looks to me like the T2 is equivalent in expected performance to my old T1's
with the liners, and the 2003 T1's will be slightly taller and stiffer.

I do the bc thing, tourning, mountaineering. I'm inclined to the T1's for
resort and steeps. Will I be crying on the tours? Is there that much of a
diff anyway?

My Bro Burl tours in T1's and he says they're fine. Which REALLY prompts me
to ask others!!!111

So my bc friends, what say you, T1 or T2?

Cheers
DMT

Old September 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
DingusMilktoast wrote:
[...]

_ Stop fooling around, suck it up and get some T-RACE's!
You can't fool us with this BC nonsense, we know you just
want to jib in the half-pipe....

_ I've got older softer T1's and the first, supposedly stiffest
version of the T-RACE. In terms of touring comfort, the only
difference I can see is in the weight. In terms of difference
between T1's and T2's, both are too damn heavy for touring[1].
So you might as well get the one that skis the best. If the boot
fits the shape of your foot, you can always make stiff boot
looser by easing up on the buckles. However, there is very little
you can do to make soft boot stiffer.

_ What skis are you going to use with this boot? IMHO, it's
pretty important to match ski and boot.

_ Another thing to consider is that ski gear is designed for
lightweights that ski pretty well. If you're a bit heavier or
less skilled that this a beefier boot helps.

_ Booker C. Bense

P.S. I thought you had crossed to the dark side for
SERIOUS skiing these days?

[1]- Although in checking the website, I see the difference is
larger than the last time I checked. 5.5 vs 8.9. That might
be enough to tip the scales to the T2 side.

Old September 21st 04, 02:00 PM
Rex Riley

DingusMilktoast, you've been posing in plastic T1's too long. You're
converted to the advertising hype of the Bigger is better, heavier is
faster mentality. Forget the moral posturing over the $250 bucks.
They own you now. You've got to have their latest technology. Go get
your fix and just pay their price.

This niche group of skiers have been methodically converted by the
retailers and manufacturers over the years. Slowly, the aethetic and
ideals of backcountry have been able to be subverted to the
technology's needs. Now you have equipment that can be made right
along side downhill equipment, on the same manufacturing line. The
only differentiation is cosmetics, marketing and the standard (which
changes to recycle the customer base).

Long gone are the ten mile backcountry tours, knapsack, wineskin and
gorp. The technology, more accurately the pursuit of technology,
restricts skiing within lift service and multi-legged sorties.
Backcountry has been converted to yo-yo Up and Down skiing. Men can't
Out and Back anymore, and the Backcountry has become a marketing label
to affix the skier to the technology.

Demand lightweight gear. There is no reason technology should not
produce a fine backcountry set-up for you that is light in weight.
Then you can get out into the Backcountry.

You get what deserve. You have to demand it, before you'll get it.

-r
Rex Riley

Old September 21st 04, 04:04 PM
DingusMilktoast

"Rex Riley" wrote

Long gone are the ten mile backcountry tours,

Oh Rex, please oh please come inspect my quiver of skis so that you may know
I am worthy!

DMT

Old September 21st 04, 04:04 PM
DingusMilktoast

Made my choice Booker, after only one person bothered to respond. T2's, 239,
no shipping, no tax. Last pair. 5.5 pounds, about the same as my old T1's
with the thermofits. About the same height too, and perhaps a bit stiffer.

I would have gone with the T1 in the end, but they ran out of my size while
I was waiting for you guys and ruminating my decision. Oh well. I'll be
happy in T2's.

Oh, I alpine, I tele, I tour.

Late
DMT