When does winter skiing start?

Old September 19th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default When does winter skiing start?

Because a bit of a lull in work comitments ATM, I am very interested
when "proper" winter skiing starts. I am not sure I can justify
travelling accross europe or the atlantic (I am in the UK) for a little
strip of glacier (though I have no idea what it is like). According
the www.skiclub.co.uk some european resorts are looking at opening in
october[1]. Am I likely to get any resnoble runs that early? When and
where is the earliest I am likely to get decent black or tree runs in?

Any other tips for early season?

[1] http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...ew/default.asp
Tignes is now closed for summer skiing to prepare the resort for the
winter season. The ski area will open again on Saturday 30th September.
The glacier at Les Deux Alpes is closed but the lifts will reopen for
the winter season towards the end of October.
The summer season has ended at Cervinia but they are planning to open
for the winter season on the 7th October. The Presena glacier is
scheduled to open again in October for skiing.
Summer skiing has now finished at Whistler and the winter season will
start on the 23rd November.

Old September 20th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

Keep an eye out here. We'll let you know when the base builds up and
if there is enough fresh snow to make it worthwhile. Generally an
early season starts anywhere from late Oct. to late Nov. But some
seasons don't start until Jan/Feb. or (horrors) not at all ! It seems
to be getting cold and wet here kind of early though. We can hope.

oups.com...

Old September 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Chriggity

pigo wrote:
Keep an eye out here. We'll let you know when the base builds up and
if there is enough fresh snow to make it worthwhile. Generally an
early season starts anywhere from late Oct. to late Nov. But some
seasons don't start until Jan/Feb. or (horrors) not at all ! It seems
to be getting cold and wet here kind of early though. We can hope.

I think early-mid November is a safe bet usually.

Old September 20th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"Chriggity" wrote in message
ups.com...

pigo wrote:
Keep an eye out here. We'll let you know when the base builds up
and
if there is enough fresh snow to make it worthwhile. Generally an
early season starts anywhere from late Oct. to late Nov. But some
seasons don't start until Jan/Feb. or (horrors) not at all ! It
seems
to be getting cold and wet here kind of early though. We can hope.

I think early-mid November is a safe bet usually.

Maybe you live somewhere other than the Wasatch of Utah. The original
post mentioned skiing somewhere other than the glacier crap as well.
It takes some time after opening to get things established, covered,
and softened up too (here at least).

Old September 20th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

pigo wrote:
Keep an eye out here. We'll let you know when the base builds up and
if there is enough fresh snow to make it worthwhile. Generally an
early season starts anywhere from late Oct. to late Nov. But some
seasons don't start until Jan/Feb. or (horrors) not at all ! It seems
to be getting cold and wet here kind of early though. We can hope.

Thanks. I do tend to get a bit excited when I see posts like "Say,
isn't that a dusting of..." but dusting is the word. I shall keep my
eyes on here.

I saw somewhere (I was sure it was linked here, but I cannot find where
now) that they were talking about El-Nino conditions starting over the
south pacific, and this would affect snow conditions in North america.
I think they said more precipitation but higher tempuratures. Anyone
else heard similar? What is this likely to mean for early season?

I know I am clutching at straws, but it just such a shame to have no
work for a while but also no snow.

Old September 20th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Chriggity

pigo wrote:

Maybe you live somewhere other than the Wasatch of Utah. The original
post mentioned skiing somewhere other than the glacier crap as well.
It takes some time after opening to get things established, covered,
and softened up too (here at least).

No, Im up here in Logan. I guess if he's looking for good quality
stuff, he would have to wait a lil' longer. No big deal.

Old September 20th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Well they fired up the snow guns at A-Basin on Monday. Around here
(Summit County, Colorado) the resorts all try to be open by
Thanksgiving (end of November). Usually that only means a couple of
trails and they are so crowded that you really don't want to go anyway.
Most resorts have the majority of their terrian open by the Christmas
rush. Often the best time to come is the week after New Years, not
many crowds, good snow and usually everything is open.

snoig

Old September 20th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

wrote in message
s.com...
pigo wrote:
[...]

Not uncommon questions but there are still no answers. If you want an
accurate weather forcast.....look out the window. El nino means :
maybe more snow, maybe less. maybe here, maybe there. You get the
idea.

Old September 20th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"Chriggity" wrote in message
ps.com...

pigo wrote:

Maybe you live somewhere other than the Wasatch of Utah. The
original
post mentioned skiing somewhere other than the glacier crap as
well.
It takes some time after opening to get things established,
covered,
and softened up too (here at least).

No, Im up here in Logan. I guess if he's looking for good quality
stuff, he would have to wait a lil' longer. No big deal.

That's all I was saying. For our usual Oct. Nov. **** he might as
well ski close on the glacier. My bil comes here to ski almost every
year from Coventry UK. He comes in Jan.

Old September 20th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"snoig" wrote in message
ps.com...
Well they fired up the snow guns at A-Basin on Monday. Around here
(Summit County, Colorado) the resorts all try to be open by
Thanksgiving (end of November). Usually that only means a couple
of
trails and they are so crowded that you really don't want to go
anyway.
Most resorts have the majority of their terrian open by the
Christmas
rush. Often the best time to come is the week after New Years, not
many crowds, good snow and usually everything is open.

snoig

On a decent year our best skiing is the couple of weeks before xmas.
Absolutely nobody around and if it's been
snowing....................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.